Continuum dock + External HD - Anyone else try yet?

Chris Phelps

May 25, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone else tried to hook a portable HD up with the Continuum dock?

I tried using a WD My Passport 2TB. It worked and I was able to view the files, but every few seconds (or every time I tried to open a video), it disconnected my phone from the dock. I am wondering what others have found. Perhaps this is a hardware issue, or just a software issue?

Billy Cantor

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
I tried using a WD My Passport 2TB. It worked and I was able to view the files, but every few seconds (or every time I tried to open a video), it disconnected my phone from the dock. I am wondering what others have found. Perhaps this is a hardware issue, or just a software issue?

Is your portable HDD powered via USB or powered from a wall adapter? If it's powered by USB, what is the current rating (in mA or A) of the power brick which is powering your Continuum dock?

If your HDD is powered by USB and the power supply for the Continuum dock doesn't have enough power to supply everything, you could see this sort of behavior.

racedout

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Yes that is probably the reason, but the continuum dock does have one higher powered Usb port on the back denoted with a lightning bolt that might work for non powered hd's.

Chris Phelps

May 25, 2015
Visit site
It is a Usb powered device, but I highly doubt power is the issue. It's rated foe use with Usb 1.1, usb 2.0, Usb 3.0 and usb 3.1 with inly the speeds being affected. Usb 1.1 is 5v / 500mah.

The behavior is the same, whether it is connected to a standard Usb port or the high current.

I have a usb-c to Usb connector so I can use other devices with my phone Usb OTG, and when the drive is plugged directly into my phone, it works flawlessly.

Don Geronimo

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
If it works with the adapter, I'd be willing to think it is the dock that's an issue right now. Is it particularly critical that you be able to access the external HD at the moment?

I guess what I would do is try to leave feedback and press the Reproduce button when doing it so there's that data of what's happening that they can look at.

Chris Phelps

May 25, 2015
Visit site
The external HDD is every single bit of personal data... pictures, video, music, etc. It's what keeps me from needing another computer for most of my stuff. For the time being, the adapter is a sufficient band-aid for the problem, but I really do hope they fix it with the first firmware update.

I'm definitely not going to bail on using continuum just because of it.

DenniSundaY

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
My WD elements portable works well on the Display Dock, but it is connected to my USB 3.0 inside my LG monitor which in turn is connected to the Display Dock. Therefore my WD Elements gets sufficient power to run well.

I never get disconnected from the HDD and I can transfer files flawlessly. One down point is during a transfer there is no pop-up where you can see the progress and cancel the transfer if you wished.

Also I noticed transferring files is quite quick, felt faster than USB 2.0 (since the USB ports are actually 2.0 on the Display Dock) but rather 3.0 speeds. Couldn't time it though and since there is no progress bar with any info...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes