Continuum impressions - Share yours here

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I just got my Continuum unit yesterday. I haven't done a whole lot with it except to hook it up and impress my office staff. I've set it up in my office to serve as a second PC. So far I like the ability to swivel in my chair and reply to SMS texts and messages on my full keyboard and monitor. I've started checking apps, the Windows Central app doesn't work....yet, and just playing around with it. While right now the functionality is limited, I can see where this is going. On my 950XL with a 200gb card in it, I can really see how this could morph into something much bigger. I see it as a preview of Microsoft's future vision of mobile. The convergence of the PC and the mobile device. What do you all think?

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
My first impression was wow, this is awesome, followed by err, it runs so slow.

I thought about this for a little while, and realized that the slow things are general network connectivity things such as accessing files from OneDrive. When I'm holding a phone in my hand, I expect that sort of thing to be slow. But when the phone is laying on the desk, and I have my hands on a mouse and keyboard, looking at a huge monitor, I'm conditioned to expect the same experience as my i5 desktop computer. I have to keep reminding myself that duh, these full desktop experience apps are running ON MY PHONE.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Hey there. Here's my recent experience with continuum on my Lumia 950 XL:

Before/during the session I was uploading pictures of ~5 MB each to OneDrive using the Photos app (via WIFI) and had Line open in the background. I connected my phone to my wireless Miracast adapter (Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter), and began by reading through The Guardian's universal app which scaled perfectly to my 32 inch T.V. I then started browsing the AccuWeather app (another universal app) that scaled nice and browsed through the Windows Store to update a review I had for an app I previously reviewed. Then I went to the Photos app to check the progress on my uploads, which perfectly scaled to the T.V. because that too is obviously a universal app, and it showed my progress in a bar on the top. Still uploading pictures through the whole continuum session. Extremely pleased and will be making use of this more often.

TL;DR: I multitasked in my phone and during my continuum session on my T.V. without any hiccups. Double multitask?

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Nice examples. I too now have it docked while at the office. Just a slight swivel in the chair and I have my second "processor" at my fingertips.

The "limited" experience will be extended greatly for me when the upcoming RDP app gets delivered. Big game changer for me since I have sessions running all day everyday on my main workstation.

My only real gripe is that while I have Edge running very briskly on my desktop, due to an adblocking host file, Edge on Continuum is a sad comparison.

Alexander Long

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
I got my Lumia 950 today, and since it does come with free display dock, I grabbed one of those USB-c to HDMI adaptor for the new Mac from Bestbuy, wishing it will work, and it worked . Perfectly, so I guess those cheaper third part USB-C to HDMI adapters worked for continuum.WP_20151223_15_38_41_Pro_LI.jpgWP_20151223_16_00_26_Rich_LI.jpgWP_20151223_16_01_43_Rich_LI.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes