Remote Desktop Preview on W10 Mobile

Don Geronimo

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
While I have reservations about it's impact on designing Continuum-enabled Universal Windows Apps, I tried using Remote Desktop Preview to connect my 950 to my Surface Pro. Aside from an occasional wait for the screen to update when using some apps that update fast (like videos and some games), the experience was virtually indistinguishable from using my PC bare metal. Also worked with connecting to a Windows Server 2012 we have at home, too, which was exciting.

I worry still that there would be less incentive now to design Continuum-enabled apps since you could just connect to a PC to use applications you can't use in Continuum yet. However, it's been a pleasant experience, despite being in preview, and works as a stopgap until more Continuum-enabled apps are deployed.

Have others experienced similar pleasantness?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
While I have reservations about it's impact on designing Continuum-enabled Universal Windows Apps, I tried using Remote Desktop Preview to connect my 950 to my Surface Pro. Aside from an occasional wait for the screen to update when using some apps that update fast (like videos and some games), the experience was virtually indistinguishable from using my PC bare metal. Also worked with connecting to a Windows Server 2012 we have at home, too, which was exciting.

I worry still that there would be less incentive now to design Continuum-enabled apps since you could just connect to a PC to use applications you can't use in Continuum yet. However, it's been a pleasant experience, despite being in preview, and works as a stopgap until more Continuum-enabled apps are deployed.

Have others experienced similar pleasantness?

Continuum + remote desktop would be killer if they get controller support working.

You could say for instance VPN into your gaming rig, fire up a game and play it through the phone using the dock whilst some where else in the world.

That's what I'd do If I had a monster rig :p.

Don Geronimo

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
At least in PC Gaming keyboard and mouse are pretty well supported. I'd worry about any lag in graphics or input; at its current state I wouldn't recommend it for games that need precise timing or accuracy. It would work well in turn-based strategy or traditional RPG formats, though.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
At least in PC Gaming keyboard and mouse are pretty well supported. I'd worry about any lag in graphics or input; at its current state I wouldn't recommend it for games that need precise timing or accuracy. It would work well in turn-based strategy or traditional RPG formats, though.

True, however the beauty of remoting in is that the your rig is doing all the heavy lifting, the phone is just displaying data via the dock.

Granted it would get plenty warm due to the constant flow of data packets :p and not to mention it depends on your upload speed at home and download speed where ever you are.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss