Cortana cannot connect while on WiFi?

drderbydog

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I am having this same problem. I have a Lumia 1520 on AT&T in Cincinnati. If I disconnect from WiFi, Cortana works fine. When I am connected to WiFi, Cortana always says she can't seem to connect right now. My wife has a Lumia 920 and is having the same problem.

I think I traced this problem to a firewall issue. I was able to locate the IP address on my router assigned to my phone and then I put that IP address into the DMZ. This means that all traffic that goes to/from my public IP address assigned by Road Runner will be routed to my phone. Boom, all of the sudden Cortana is working fine on WiFi.

Next step in this research project is to figure out if there are just certain ports that Cortana requires. Surely she doesn't need to be in the DMZ.

TuxedoST

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
So I went digging, trying to figure out what was causing this issue. As it turns out, my DNS server through my ISP was causing it. I set my DNS to point to OpenDNS servers (in my router settings) 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 and it started working.

Mashnoon Ibtesum

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I am having this same problem. I have a Lumia 1520 on AT&T in Cincinnati. If I disconnect from WiFi, Cortana works fine. When I am connected to WiFi, Cortana always says she can't seem to connect right now. My wife has a Lumia 920 and is having the same problem.

I think I traced this problem to a firewall issue. I was able to locate the IP address on my router assigned to my phone and then I put that IP address into the DMZ. This means that all traffic that goes to/from my public IP address assigned by Road Runner will be routed to my phone. Boom, all of the sudden Cortana is working fine on WiFi.

Next step in this research project is to figure out if there are just certain ports that Cortana requires. Surely she doesn't need to be in the DMZ.

Awesome! Can you break down the steps ?

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
So I went digging, trying to figure out what was causing this issue. As it turns out, my DNS server through my ISP was causing it. I set my DNS to point to OpenDNS servers (in my router settings) 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 and it started working.
Road runner as in time Warner internet? Yeah I have them. I wonder is that what is causing my issues.
II'm nervous to do what you did though as that seems to be over my head a bit lol

TuxedoST

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Yup, as in time warner in my case. Changing DNS isn't all that hard. Go to the website for the manufacturer of your router and look for the support manual. It should tell you in there.

TuxedoST

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
DNS means domain name resolution. Basically, it is the server that converts url like Google to 134.45.567.12 type ip addresses. Often times, the DNS servers from ISPs can get bogged down, or other weird things. Open DNS is just another free to use DNS service that is of high quality, and doesn't do any DNS injection. Google also offers a DNS server if you feel so inclined to use theirs.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
DNS means domain name resolution. Basically, it is the server that converts url like Google to 134.45.567.12 type ip addresses. Often times, the DNS servers from ISPs can get bogged down, or other weird things. Open DNS is just another free to use DNS service that is of high quality, and doesn't do any DNS injection. Google also offers a DNS server if you feel so inclined to use theirs.
Ah I see. So when I go to opendns, will it give me the IP to use?

lolakr

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I have Time Warner Cable and Cortana was broken on WiFi for me as well. Changing my home router to use Google DNS (8.8.8.8) fixed the issue. I didn't have time to dive any further in to it, but obviously TWC DNS is missing some sort of record, or blocking something, that makes Cortana tick.

drderbydog

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
That's awesome, thank you. Does anybody know what the missing DNS entries are so I can raise a stink with Time Warner here in Cincinnati? In the interim I followed the advice of moving over to OpenDNS.

Thanks for the research and sharing your results!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes