The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
11-27-2015 03:04 PM
82 1234
tools
    Just wonder, can "Cortana" be called up without touching the phone physically??

Example, by using the front facing camera, with a wave of hand over the front camera (something like in Glance setting using the "Peek" function) & "Cortana" is on & respond "Master Chief, anything I can help". :P

This will be great that if Microsoft can enhance the usage of the front facing camera with Cortana.
    04-20-2014 01:59 AM
    These are great additions too.
    04-20-2014 05:28 AM
    I was enjoying Cortana's info today while traveling. Couple of points of feedback though:

I see that on the Cortana page she can display flight info with gate information and flight status based on info parsed from my reservation emails. For some reason that info is not always accessible. Often tapping the airplane icon will take me to IE and show me flightstats.com or similar (don't recall). It would be nice if the compact flight view with gate info was shown the moment it is available, or if tapping the airplane icon expands to show any available info.

Second, the info is great, but once you're in the air and there's no wifi, the info is no longer available. Too bad, because I wanted to see when my flight was supposed to arrive. Ideally Cortana would show an estimate of flight progress, with a subtle warning 'no network - information may not be up to date'.

Third, when a flight is detected, it would be cool if Cortana would preemtively download all relevant airport maps in reasonable detail, and show 'airport map' as one of the travel icons. That way during your flight you can already check how to run to the nearest Starbucks, or how to get to the rental cars.

Finally, I'm not sure if she already does this, but it would be cool if Cortana could ping me in case of a gate change etc.
    04-22-2014 11:17 PM
    Birthday reminders for contacts
    Create and send an email
    Add items to a grocery list (well, as long as they make the MS grocery app work as well as the app I currently use anyway)
    Pronounce words--I would like to be able to manually input the text "say flerple" and have Cortana pronounce it aloud for me.
    Be able to add notes to other OneNote notebooks besides QuickNotes
    On location-based reminders: Right now they sometimes they pop up just a bit too soon for me to deal with them at the moment. It would good to have a "snooze" option on them.

Cortana currently gives me drive time and a route to my saved Work place, but I really don't need to directions to a place I go to five+ days a week. What I really need is to be able to save a default route to a faved place, and then get alternate routes if drivetime is high on my default route.

I am also hoping food/drink preferences can get much more sophisticated, like Cortana could save info about restaurants I have visited if I register them. Then if Cortana knows my preference for japanese food, she can mention that a certain japanese restaurant is in the area that I have not visited. I don't want to have to route this data through a third party app either, just save it in the notebook.

ETA: A verbal shortcut when correcting Cortana. So if she confirms, "Reminder to get eggs at the story today at 4pm, is that right?" I can say "No, change reminder to get eggs at the store", rather than having to wait for her to ask me which element of the reminder is incorrect.
    Last edited by txkimmers; 04-23-2014 at 12:36 PM.
    bsbharath1987 likes this.
    04-23-2014 09:12 AM
    * a place to put real locations for contacts (home and work), not only a textual address, so cortana could support things like: "give me directions to Phillip's home" or "how long to get in Joana's work". now I have to create places that arent connected with the correct contact. on contacts, when tap on +address, just put a location field that open maps application.

* every place in maps applications where we can type a address, have a button "actual location", that fill the address field with the actual location. its very common that we are trying to put our actual address in my places, but today is very dificult to do this
    04-23-2014 10:02 AM
    I can't remember this being discussed before, but the parsing of searches, particularly when it comes to directions, skips over my address book unless I have actually added an address to my "places" list.

I don't want to have to add every single entry from my address book as a "place" and would prefer asking Cortana, "Directions to John Doe's home," search my address book first and not just bring up web results (which obvioulsy will be wrong for a personal address.

Has anyone else experienced this? Am I doing it wrong?
    04-23-2014 11:51 AM
    Friendly reminder, Cortana's API allows interaction with outside apps. So something like, "Cortana, tell me what the ratings are for [X movie]" or maybe "Reserve a table for 2 at [restaurant] for 7pm on Friday" are things the app developers could program their apps to catch and handle. So make sure you make some noise to App developers to integrate Cortana voice commands into their apps.

I'd like to see Jen Taylor's voice take over for the built in text to speech engine. I imagine it's in progress though, someone retweeted her saying she's got a lot of work to do. ('Tis: Jen Taylor: We've only just begun recording the #Microsoft phone goodness. It should sound more and more like me the more we record. Be patient, friends.)
    Keep the witty replies coming, my gf and I use the "tell me a joke" command a lot for cheap laughs.
    04-23-2014 11:56 AM
    What I'd like to have is an in-built translator. For example if I say "What's money in chinese?" she should be able to tell me the word and show me the writing.
    Google Glass can do that!
    Luiz Miranda likes this.
    04-23-2014 12:02 PM
    I think you would need to say, "Translate money to Chinese," or something like that with a key word so Cortana knows what to do....but yeah, that would be kewl.
    Jonas_H and TheZuneLune like this.
    04-24-2014 10:26 AM
    I hope Cortana wishes you a happy birthday, or better yet sings to you.
    bijak_riyandi and Captains like this.
    04-25-2014 08:47 PM
    "Cortana, use Google for web searches from now on." Pretty please?
    "C'mon, Chief. You're smarter than that."
    SpaceyO likes this.
    04-26-2014 02:46 AM
    1. better integration with the Map app or even HERE apps -> it's quite some pain to go to Microsoft Maps just to add places to Cortana's notebook... I know she has the option to add, but I need to add specific location on the map...

2. more sports team available in her notebook, particularly A.C. Milan

3. I really hope she uses metric instead of imperial

well, there are a lot of features I want, but mostly have already been said in this thread...
    04-26-2014 05:20 AM
    It would be useful if you could ask her directions from not only your current location, but also from someplace besides your current location. For example: "Get me directions from Portland, Oregon to Seattle, Washington."
    Joe920 likes this.
    04-26-2014 10:29 AM
    I would like actions based on combinations of several conditions:
    At 9PM, ask me if I want to wake up 30 min early and ride my bike to work tomorrow if the chance of rain is less than X%, the low temperature is greater than X, and the day of week is Mon, Tue, Fri or Sun.
    Joe920 and bkabela like this.
    04-27-2014 12:39 PM
    Voice command corrections - mid process.

Usually I would start Cortana and misspeak/mispronounce words or completely forget what to say next. I wish I could say a keyword like "Re-do" or "Start-over" or even "Oops!" and be able to restart the conversation immediately. This way, I wouldn't have to wait for her to finish trying to execute the wrong command before being able to start over again. It would be very useful while driving.
    txkimmers, Joe920 and bkabela like this.
    04-27-2014 12:59 PM
    In addition to the things that their boss likes, a real assistant would also need to know the things that their boss really dislikes.

I'd like to see a "dislike" section in the notebook. I don't need to know about local showing times for movies that feature actors that I strongly dislike, for example, or the nearby location of Hardy's or other food that I dislike.
    04-27-2014 01:18 PM
    I want to be able to ask her how far it is to a particular freeway exit at any point in time. Even if it's not the one that is the one in supposed to take in navigation or if I'm not using navigation.
    04-27-2014 01:46 PM
    I don't know about you, but i really look forward to being awaken be Cortana herself, not some lousy beep beep tones. I'm talking about something that goes like:
    - Alex..... Alex..... Honey... Rise and shine... It's 6:15 am now. You don't wanna be late for work, do you? Come on, time to wakey wakey!!!
    And she might keep chirping something similar until I grab the phone or say "okay, I'm up" or maybe set snooze timer if I say "oh come on baby, 5 more minutes"... And when I say I'm up, she will proceed to give me briefings like weather, the day's schedule, top headlines and summaries of my interests...
    May sound cheesy and a little bit paranoid, but that's what a real assistant is supposed to do.
    04-27-2014 09:00 PM
    with getting additional regions up and running.
    woo hoo.
    04-27-2014 09:47 PM
    Unless this could somehow backfire and be ridiculed, I think this would be a pretty fun gimmick. Easy to implement too. I'm not sure it would be loud enough though. Maybe supplement it with an actual alarm. ("Alex, it you don't get up this very minute, I'm going to have to start the alarm again..")
    "Alex, I'm telling you. Get your *** up or I'll play deaf ears for the whole day!!!!"
    bijak_riyandi and bkabela like this.
    04-27-2014 10:05 PM
    Has anyone tried using PlexiVoice? Whenever you ask her a question, "what is a cheetah" for example, she will turn up with a brief spoken answer, with the source the info was taken from, most of the time Wikipedia, included. This, IMO, is kinda neat and convenient. Cortana should be like this, instead of giving Bing searches all the time.
    04-27-2014 10:18 PM
    Can anyone tell if you would like Cortana to be listening right from the first time you press search to opening, and not to wait to press the mic button? I would love to... :-)
    Definitely!
    Alex Blast likes this.
    04-27-2014 10:26 PM
    I can't remember this being discussed before, but the parsing of searches, particularly when it comes to directions, skips over my address book unless I have actually added an address to my "places" list.

I don't want to have to add every single entry from my address book as a "place" and would prefer asking Cortana, "Directions to John Doe's home," search my address book first and not just bring up web results (which obvioulsy will be wrong for a personal address.

Has anyone else experienced this? Am I doing it wrong?
    Definitely yes to your suggestion. I have the same issue re: Cortana not being able to just pick someone out of contact list.
    04-27-2014 10:31 PM
    Also definitely to OP suggestion.
    04-27-2014 10:34 PM
    First thing Cortona Should do any thing wht we do manually with the phone related things

like:
    1) It should adjust volume controls as per user input
    2) Should open any type of settings(wht we have in settings)
    3) Should Sync Mails
    4) Should search in Mails
    5) Close Opened Apps in Multitasking
    6) Should do like Call XXXX Contact after 5 mins(thn it should call the user r should remind abt the call)
    etc things.

If it does any thing with phone capabilities what we do manually then can extend further IMO

as of now the things performing by Cortona is absolutely stunning to me :)
    04-28-2014 07:45 AM
82 1234