05-07-2014 02:32 AM
84 1234
tools
    If you're not keen on waiting, you could go to Cortana's Notebook (hamburger button) > Places > Tap "+" and add your workplace manually.
    True, but just like it was on the iPhone, it can take 2-3 weeks for Cortana to track your typical commute before it starts "assuming" that you want to actually do that every day. What I really want to see is the integration of appointments on my calendar so it can remind me to leave my main office to drive to another site for a meeting I may have. I just need to remember to put the name of where my meetings are in my calandar location area for that meeting. I have also added my other workplace locations in my Places area in the notebook to see if just putting "mainsite" in the address bar will be enough.
    04-23-2014 04:33 PM
    Neat. I have Cortana as a doublewide on my screen and when it flipped, I got a traffic update for the trip home. I'm not leaving for another 2 hours but I got an update. This is making a decent sized impression on me...and its still beta.
    HaibaneReki and I Unquello like this.
    04-23-2014 04:51 PM
    ...Cortana's Notebook (hamburger button)...
    hamburger button? I know what "button" your talking about, but I'm having trouble seeing a hamburger. :-)
    04-23-2014 05:23 PM
    The problem with this function of Cortana is that it tells you to leave when you should already be in the car. If driving takes 30 min, it tells you 30 before to leave. Then you're already too late if you have to move your *** to the car and perhaps pack your bags and put your shoes on etc. It should tell you to leave 15min before you actually have to leave.
    F3rzz likes this.
    04-23-2014 05:40 PM
    I didn't expect I would be impressed by this utility. I was happy to get it but I didn't honestly care if it only told me the weather on command. I think I've been, gulp, assimilated. Bum, bum, Baaaaaaaaaaa. lol.
    I felt the same way you did when I enabled cortana and have since become impressed as well that this could actually be useful for me on a daily basis. my favorite is the "geofencing", such as "remind me to...when i leave home" or "remind me to...when I get to...".
    Jazmac likes this.
    04-23-2014 05:53 PM
    for you guys who get the prompt. do you guys often use navigation? i'm curious to know, what action causing this
    Nope she will automatically check where you are.. it helps if you have data
    04-23-2014 06:41 PM
    for you guys who get the prompt. do you guys often use navigation? i'm curious to know, what action causing this
    I don't navigate going to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    04-23-2014 07:15 PM
    Nope she will automatically check where you are.. it helps if you have data
    I find I'm using Waze a lot. Not so much for directions but for my lame past-time of tagging cops on the road. lol. I can't spot how it knows what it knows or when it chooses to update me, but it is one smooth feature when it happens. Makes the phone feel it truly lives the moniker: "smart" phone.
    04-23-2014 07:48 PM
    she asked me if my University was "Work" i told her no. When i tried to add my university as a place, it doesn't exist :C so sad

where should i create it? on foursquare?

Thankfully the next day or something she asked me again if it was my workplace and i told her YES. and the put a nickname on the notebook ("La U" spanish and usual coloquial abreviation "The U")
    04-23-2014 08:46 PM
    I want to know where/how to set up work hours too.
    04-23-2014 11:27 PM
    I want to know where/how to set up work hours too.
    I wish I could tell you. I suspect it determines your work hours based on you setting a Work and Home location. Then all you do is go straight to work and straight home a few times..then like a blood hound it picks up the scent. But again, I'm guessing.
    mikeycl likes this.
    04-23-2014 11:38 PM
    If you're not keen on waiting, you could go to Cortana's Notebook (hamburger button) > Places > Tap "+" and add your workplace manually.
    Yes but many folks out there including me have the problem that location based reminders wont work if the places are defined that way. See this thread for further information: http://forums.windowscentral.com/cor...me-non-us.html
    04-24-2014 12:14 AM
    I find I'm using Waze a lot. Not so much for directions but for my lame past-time of tagging cops on the road. lol. I can't spot how it knows what it knows or when it chooses to update me, but it is one smooth feature when it happens. Makes the phone feel it truly lives the moniker: "smart" phone.
    The first time she asked me "Is this your home" I almost fell out of my bed :P That was about a day and a half after I first met her and in that moment I knew that when she steps out of beta she will be the best.. I dare to say we might even jump three steps ahead of the competition
    Jazmac likes this.
    04-24-2014 12:50 AM
    I saw the popup this morning telling me I should leave for work now. It showed me a map and how much time in this traffic and it estimated it would take me to get there too. I forgot all about setting that up. I'm impressed about this. Really impressed.
    meh, plenty of women have told me in the morning that I've got to go....
    04-24-2014 12:57 AM
    so bad, Cortana does not work yet in my country.
    eagerly waiting.
    ven07 likes this.
    04-24-2014 01:11 AM
    yes the work, home thing is amaizing, still didn't get the part that I should get going, but im sure she will soon.

but what im interested in is, that I fly frequently, and I get my tickets sent to me by email. till now, Cortana never said that I have a flight, or I should be going to catch the flight, I wonder if anyone got this? if not do you think there is a specific format the Email ticket should be written according to?
    04-24-2014 06:31 AM
    The first time she asked me "Is this your home" I almost fell out of my bed :P That was about a day and a half after I first met her and in that moment I knew that when she steps out of beta she will be the best.. I dare to say we might even jump three steps ahead of the competition
    It's really not that spectacular as you think.
    04-24-2014 07:01 AM
    yes the work, home thing is amaizing, still didn't get the part that I should get going, but im sure she will soon.

but what im interested in is, that I fly frequently, and I get my tickets sent to me by email. till now, Cortana never said that I have a flight, or I should be going to catch the flight, I wonder if anyone got this? if not do you think there is a specific format the Email ticket should be written according to?
    Talderon said that they are extending their parser on the backend and more airlines will be covered.
    04-24-2014 07:10 AM
    She first did the travelling thing a couple of days back. things is i get the train to and from work and she was giving me driving times.

i've noticed that my phone is regularly updating it's location and i think she learns automatically approximately what time you leave a location and where ou go to and then stores it as a commute.

it'll be nice when the localisation is sorted out (am in the UK) and hopefully she will get train information. Then i should get updated info as i commute (delays and cancellations etc) and she should hopefully take that into account on my journey and adapt accordingly.

Her timing needs to be improved though. she was telling me if i wanted to leave work and be home by 6:30 that if i was drivign home i would need to leave work about 15 minutes before i was meant to finish. This morning she was trying to get me to drive to work and be there 30 minutes prior to my regular start time.
    Jazmac likes this.
    04-24-2014 07:13 AM
    Some of this needs to be set up for this to work, for those wondering:
    Cortana | Settings | interests | traffic (you need to add it if it's not there already).

cortana_traffic.jpg
    mikeycl and Jazmac like this.
    04-24-2014 07:26 AM
    I received my first notification this morning on when to leave for work. It even had me leave with enough time to get to work about 10 mins early with traffic.
    04-24-2014 08:57 AM
    Some of this needs to be set up for this to work, for those wondering:
    Cortana | Settings | interests | traffic (you need to add it if it's not there already).
    Beat me too it. Also want to add that if it's not already listed in interests, you have to add it under daily routine > traffic
    EuroKnuter likes this.
    04-24-2014 09:02 AM
    Talderon said that they are extending their parser on the backend and more airlines will be covered.
    Hmmm. But my flights are trackable. As I can track them manually. And also in the travel app. But I do t th I nk cortana is recognizing the email of the tickets!
    04-24-2014 09:41 AM
    took her a couple days to figure out when I should leave to go to work, but I must get home consistently at 4:10, because she told me I should leave work 10m early to get home on time... my coworkers got a kick out of that one :)
    Since my schedule varies during the week (but stays the same every week), I'm wondering if she'll know that I have to pick up the kids early on Thursdays, but that I stay a 1/2hr later on Tuesdays and account for those differences?
    mikeycl likes this.
    04-24-2014 11:07 AM
    all you guys that have cortana telling you what time to leave etc, does it make a difference if i have waze set up as default navigation app?
    i aslo have my commute set up from drive + that works good
    04-24-2014 11:43 AM
84 1234