How far do you go before Cortana realizes you've left home/work ?

rizzo183

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
The geo-fencing on WP8.1 is being improved, and in future we'll be able to manually enter the 'area' of our favorite places. But for now there's no such option. I want to know how far do you usually have to go before cortana gives you place-based reminders?

In my case, Cortana doesn't realize i've left home till i'm more than a kilometer away from home. This is inconvenient because if i have set reminders which apply within a kilometer, this feature will be useless. For example, if i have to get something from the local grocery, which is not a kilometer away from my house, Cortana won't be of much help. Or if i'm at the local grocery, and i need something from the pharmacy right next to it, Cortana's place based reminders won't help.

Is this the same for everyone else?

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Same here. It's inconsistent. Cortana realizes I've left home about 1/2 mile from my house but doesn't notify me when I leave work for about 1-3 miles. When I arrive home the reminder dings about 3 minutes after I get there. My work place, grocery store, bank, etc, are iffy as they are located in larger areas like malls or shopping centers.

Link Kadeshi

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
She's in Beta still, however, it seems like they're aware and working on it. Unless I remember wrong. I assume from the kilometer measurement that you're not in the US? Some of the issue might be inconsistent mapping (Though I'll assume this is unlikely). I had a reminder pop-up 5 minutes after I got home (I think because when I'm in my home, it thinks I'm across the street), but timed reminders pop-up on time. This may be a matter of the geo-fencing.

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I've gone miles and miles before Cortana noticed. Also, I'll arrive somewhere and it will take Cortana a while to realize it sometimes. It's nice when it's timed correctly though. I have the Bioshock new objective sound for reminders, so it's cool to walk into my house and have a reminder suddenly appear with the sound, as if I'd hit a checkpoint.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon