The geo-fencing on WP8.1 is being improved, and in future we'll be able to manually enter the 'area' of our favorite places. But for now there's no such option. I want to know how far do you usually have to go before cortana gives you place-based reminders?

In my case, Cortana doesn't realize i've left home till i'm more than a kilometer away from home. This is inconvenient because if i have set reminders which apply within a kilometer, this feature will be useless. For example, if i have to get something from the local grocery, which is not a kilometer away from my house, Cortana won't be of much help. Or if i'm at the local grocery, and i need something from the pharmacy right next to it, Cortana's place based reminders won't help.

Is this the same for everyone else?
    05-03-2014 06:39 AM
    Same here. It's inconsistent. Cortana realizes I've left home about 1/2 mile from my house but doesn't notify me when I leave work for about 1-3 miles. When I arrive home the reminder dings about 3 minutes after I get there. My work place, grocery store, bank, etc, are iffy as they are located in larger areas like malls or shopping centers.
    rizzo183 likes this.
    05-03-2014 06:57 AM
    It has been ok for me so far but it may be a background timing issue.
    mary beth hale likes this.
    05-03-2014 08:25 AM
    She's in Beta still, however, it seems like they're aware and working on it. Unless I remember wrong. I assume from the kilometer measurement that you're not in the US? Some of the issue might be inconsistent mapping (Though I'll assume this is unlikely). I had a reminder pop-up 5 minutes after I got home (I think because when I'm in my home, it thinks I'm across the street), but timed reminders pop-up on time. This may be a matter of the geo-fencing.
    rizzo183 likes this.
    05-05-2014 07:46 PM
    I've gone miles and miles before Cortana noticed. Also, I'll arrive somewhere and it will take Cortana a while to realize it sometimes. It's nice when it's timed correctly though. I have the Bioshock new objective sound for reminders, so it's cool to walk into my house and have a reminder suddenly appear with the sound, as if I'd hit a checkpoint.
    05-05-2014 07:58 PM
    I have the Bioshock new objective sound for reminders
    Where/how did you get that? Can i find other in-game sounds there?
    05-05-2014 10:22 PM
    This should help you: Xbox Live's Major Nelson » Bioshock Infinite Sounds :. I assume he means Bioshock: Infinite.
    rizzo183 likes this.
    05-05-2014 11:06 PM
    This should help you: Xbox Live's Major Nelson » Bioshock Infinite Sounds :. I assume he means Bioshock: Infinite.
    Yes, that's where I got them, thanks for finding the link.
    05-06-2014 04:50 AM