Any way to change how Cortana pronounces contact names?

S640

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
I use Cortana frequently to send text messages, and after parsing the message Cortana will confirm it by reading back the contact name it's going to and then reading the message text. Is there any way to change how Cortana pronounces a name other than by changing the spelling of the name itself in the contact info? If not, perhaps it would be cool if there were a new field added in the contact info where you could phonetically spell names, and Cortana would look there first when pronouncing names. If that field were not filled in then Cortana could just use the "main" contact name so users don't have to spend time adding the info for all contacts. If this were possible it would let you keep your contact names spelled correctly when they're displayed and help Cortana pronounce them correctly.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Change them to a more phonetically written word. These electronic apps know the sounds of letters grouped together. So you may have to enter the name phonetically so it will sound more normal.

S640

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Well yes, that would work... and result in your contacts all having bizarrely spelled names. I'm interested in if there's a way to do that where you don't have to change your contacts' display names, and if there isn't a way perhaps eventually we'll get something where we have the option of setting a phonetic spelling for Cortana to use and we get to keep the display names spelled the proper way.

chandy227

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Suggest this in the Cortana UserVoice and post a link in the UserVoice thread that I and others have started.

I'd vote for it

S640

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Suggest this in the Cortana UserVoice and post a link in the UserVoice thread that I and others have started.

I'd vote for it

Posted. It looks like there was already an item created by someone else, so I just added some comments and voted for that one rather than create a duplicate.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon