Cortana replaces the Bing Homepage?

EasilyTheBest

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I haven't updated my Nokia Lumia 630 to the newest update so I am still without Cortana in the UK.
I understand that the search button on Windows Phones will now just be used for Cortana. If so, is it possible to get Internet Explorer to always start on the Bing homepage or is it possible to have a Bing Search tile.
I thought it would have been alot better to have Cortana on the search button but a long press would let you onto the Bing homepage.
Perhaps I'm missing something, hope someone can enlighten me...

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
If you have Cortana but disable location service, then you will just get Bing search. Cortana requires location service to be on.

EasilyTheBest

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Thank Laura for you're reply. I obviously want to use Cortana but I was hoping Bing access would stay as it is on Windows Phone 8, on the search button.
Hopefully you will get that choice with later updates.

JasonKruys

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
It does stay the same, in effect. Long press is speak to Cortana. Short press, you type your command/query, which will usually result in a bing search. The only thing you miss is the picture of the day - I have set my lockscreen to it now.

EasilyTheBest

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Jason, that's not to bad then. I will miss the music and the eye icon etc on the bottom of the bing page tho. For reading barcodes and listening to a song I don't know so I can get the songs name....

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
If you're talking about being able to go to the bing homepage that's no longer possible, it automatically launches Cortana so no viewing of the bing homepage, which I for one don't like. It was nice especially when they had an animated picture but now you'll only see that from a pc. Stupid move, imo.

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

EasilyTheBest

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
This is what I was thinking, I liked being able to go to the Bing homepage. Is it possible to get Internet Explorer to always open on the Bing homepage? That way I could pin that as a tile.
Why didn't Microsoft do like I said above, have Cortana on the search button but a long press to skip Cortana and up comes the Bong homepage as before...

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Won't matter, IE will always redirect bing.com to Cortana regardless of how you get there. I have the tile still pinned just for the image but in reality its useless now.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Just to help my understanding here, but why the need to go to the bing homepage when the search button on the phone does the same thing?

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Won't matter, IE will always redirect bing.com to Cortana regardless of how you get there. I have the tile still pinned just for the image but in reality its useless now.

Which is exactly the same behaviour as before, it would redirect you to Bing Search on your phone.

dabs1710

May 24, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. I loved the animated pictures. It was one of my sources of daily new information. Stupid MSFT!

If you're talking about being able to go to the bing homepage that's no longer possible, it automatically launches Cortana so no viewing of the bing homepage, which I for one don't like. It was nice especially when they had an animated picture but now you'll only see that from a pc. Stupid move, imo.

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

EasilyTheBest

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
If I use internet explorer to navigate to the bing homepage, it just opens up Cortana. Is it different in other countries perhaps, I'm in the UK.
I want to pin Explorer to my home screen with bing as the homepage and on a tile...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes