Dell Venue 8 Pro is okay

underway99

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
I might suggest paying special attention to see just what is making the tab freeze up. I've had my DV8P since Thanksgiving and haven't had it freeze at all. No BSOD or anything. It has just worked.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
What's being run when it happens?
What virus software are you running?
I'm in the same boat as underway99...mine has been running flawlessly since release. Sorry to hear that you are having trouble with yours.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
My tap accuracy has been fine. I'm actually using this more often than my Surface Pro now because of the size.

I'm seriously considering returning mine and going to a Surface Pro. The touch sensitivity is terrible. I had an RT that I sold to buy this and the accessories. This touchscreen issue is really frustrating. And I think I'm in the opposite boat on the size. I think I like the Surface size better.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I like it, can't complain too much for 99 bucks. But, I am starting to get a couple bright spots on the screen, and I'm not super thrilled about the charge port and how it can't be used to charge and be a USB port at the same time. I'll probably sell the device at a good price and buy the ThinkPad 8 instead.

For those with touch issues, I've updated to all the latest firmware and drivers and it's much better now.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
For those with touch issues, I've updated to all the latest firmware and drivers and it's much better now.

As far as I know, I've applied all the updates. It's hard to remember which updates have been installed when they don't roll off after they have been installed.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
As far as I know, I've applied all the updates. It's hard to remember which updates have been installed when they don't roll off after they have been installed.

Yeah, I wish their updater was a but better, but not a deal breaker. I like the device, I can certainly see how some may not like it though. I don't use it as a laptop so the limited space isn't a huge issue for me.

I use mine as a setup device for switches or whatever, works excellent for something like that, run to the closet, hook up via serial or tcp/ip via the USB port and get it done.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Contemplation over. Purchased a Surface Pro. Now for the loooong wait for it to get here. :smile: Once I return my DV8P and accessories and get my refunds, the Surface Pro will cost me just a couple hundred dollars.

nthknd

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Mime is going back in the AM. Tap issues are to bad. Bought a Sony vaio tap 11.....had the surface but it's so much money for last gen technology

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Anyone know what's up with the stylus? Seems dell has quit selling it. Is this a permanent thing or will it be coming back? If it's permanently gone, can anyone recommend another tablet 8"-11" that has a good stylus?

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I didn't expect much from the V8P, but I bought one since they were cheap enough and readily available, but it has worked perfectly for my uses. I mostly do couch browsing and playing wordament, but I have done a lot more with it. It easily does remote network administration as I can VPN into my home and work network and RDP into PCs and servers to do basic maintenance. My on-call is much easier than it was before I got it.

quadtronix

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
My experience with the V8P for about the past month or so has been generally positive...

The only issue I have is that once I've double tapped to zoom in, it sometimes zooms back out when I try to scroll. I figured out though that it seems to happen when I don't press my finger down hard enough on the screen when trying to scroll. As long as I am fairly forceful with the initial tap it doesn't seem to be a problem...

Other than that, everything has worked flawlessly. No crashes or anything like that. Battery life is superb! Windows 8.1 is awesome! Baytrail is speedy and keeps the device running responsively for all the tasks I have thrown at it thus far. Overall I am very pleased with the Dell Venue 8 Pro! :)

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Well, I reloaded the whole OS again from scratch and did all the updates before I started customizing it. It seems to work well enough now that I think I'll be keeping it. Now all I need is for dell to get off their **** and finish fixing the stylus.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon