Worth buying

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
There is no overheating issues I've ever read. Yes, the tablet heats up if you play some graphically intensive games. All tablets and smartphones do the same.

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I dont understand how a tablet like the DVP have 4 stars out of 5 but yet it have issues everywhere, like over heating, with the charger and with the WiFi. I just don't understand how it got so great reviews.

There is some major novelty credit to be given to the DV8P. Full x86 windows, slim and lightweight enough to hold it's own against it's ARM rivals, and battery life to compete with the ARM tablets as well. It might not be the best option now that there are actually other options in the same category, but for a time this was the only tablet with these novelties and the inconveniences are bearable. Most of those ratings were probably early on, and I am sure it still get's good ratings because not everyone uses the device in the same way so those obstacles are not a problem for everybody.

My biggest problem with it is Miracast is not working with my projector, but that is a very minor issue.

Ted#WP

Feb 5, 2009
Visit site
There is some major novelty credit to be given to the DV8P. Full x86 windows, slim and lightweight enough to hold it's own against it's ARM rivals, and battery life to compete with the ARM tablets as well. It might not be the best option now that there are actually other options in the same category, but for a time this was the only tablet with these novelties and the inconveniences are bearable. Most of those ratings were probably early on, and I am sure it still get's good ratings because not everyone uses the device in the same way so those obstacles are not a problem for everybody.

My biggest problem with it is Miracast is not working with my projector, but that is a very minor issue.

Spot on with respect to ARM vs x86 comment.

At $229 the price can't be beat.

As far as Miracast is concerned, none of the w8 tablets out there to date is without the same issue.

turbulent28

May 15, 2012
Visit site
so, after having returned my tablet, I saw the tablet on sale at staples (plus a $25 gift card)

Ive been looking for a repalcement, but couldnt find anything in the price range and build quality. I like the slim form factor of the miix2 but it feels like my kids toys.

In short, I end up buying the Pro again but this time for 199 plus a $25 gift card.

Time to do some more tinkering

turbulent28

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Quick Update re heating :

So I picked up a new tablet and ran through all the tweaks. Finally last night I try streaming Game of thrones again.

This time, Very little warmth was felt. I used the metro browser and then switched over to streaming over splashtop and the tablet never got too hot.

so far so good.

On my first tablet I was streaming using chrome/desktop and trying to cast to chromecast. Ill try that again and see the results.
Chromecast desktop looks and behaves worst than i remember. its horrible. was there an update? (i thought i read somewhere there was a metro app coming????)

btw, I did the SSD "speed up" tweaks and its noticeably snappier in opening apps

Update: So last night i tried streaming from dekstop/chrome again, to chromecast. Tablet started to get past the point of "Warm". So i guess its a chrome situation... idk. Im not a person that HAS to have chrome, just wanted that advantage to stream to my tv. Chrome isnt the best browser on this tablet to begin with.

Ill have to give miracast a shot and see if thats an avenue

Last edited:

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Sold my nexus 7 a few weeks ago. I purchased it to supplement my surface 2 as it was smaller... Thing is I never used it... Android is so messy to me. I always used my surface 2 when given the choice... Still I wanted a smaller windows tablet that I could just browse with... No keyboard, no mouse... just a small tabled...

Enter the Dell venue pro 8. Just picked it up. My girlfriend has the 11" and I was really impressed with the build quality. The 8 is super nice.

What a great tablet... I am all 100% windows now.. Sold my macs, ipad, nexus, etc. Windows 8 on tablet(s), desktop, ultrabook, xbox one, 920, etc. I am all in and really digging it..

axllebeer

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Yeah as far as the Chrome browser it works pretty good but I find myself using IE for the 1st time ever on a Windows machine. It's good for lite to moderate use. I have had pretty good success with my Chromecast and the Venue. Pretty much the only reason I use Chrome on the Tab in the 1st place.

Quick Update re heating :

So I picked up a new tablet and ran through all the tweaks. Finally last night I try streaming Game of thrones again.

This time, Very little warmth was felt. I used the metro browser and then switched over to streaming over splashtop and the tablet never got too hot.

so far so good.

On my first tablet I was streaming using chrome/desktop and trying to cast to chromecast. Ill try that again and see the results.
Chromecast desktop looks and behaves worst than i remember. its horrible. was there an update? (i thought i read somewhere there was a metro app coming????)

btw, I did the SSD "speed up" tweaks and its noticeably snappier in opening apps

Update: So last night i tried streaming from dekstop/chrome again, to chromecast. Tablet started to get past the point of "Warm". So i guess its a chrome situation... idk. Im not a person that HAS to have chrome, just wanted that advantage to stream to my tv. Chrome isnt the best browser on this tablet to begin with.

Ill have to give miracast a shot and see if thats an avenue

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes