Worth buying

shaskell724

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Hey, I had one for about a month and a half and returned mine. When I first got it I couldn't get the wifi to work if I shut I put in on airplane mode for a little bit to save battery. I would have to shut it off and turn it back on again for it to discover the wifi. I tried to download all the drivers and stuff but it was very frustrating to me that something as essential as wifi was not working on my Venue Pro.
I thought Windows 8.1 was nice and I liked the feel of the device, though.
Also... I got frustrated with the touch screen interface on Windows 8. I went on many many website where I would need to "right click" and the touch screen would never recognize when I needed to do that so I couldn't get a lot of things done. I'm not sure if this is an internet explorer thing or what but I tried to figure it out and couldn't. One time when I went on the ATT website my Venue Pro would freeze and wouldn't really work because the website and would freeze up not allowing me to even exit out of explorer. That was a bummer. I also didn't think it was as fast as everyone keeps saying it is. It would also get pretty hot when using it.

I guess it seems like I'm bashing it pretty hard. Anyways, there is my opinion! I really wanted to like it but I felt there were to many problems. Still have hope for future dell products and hope to get a Windows device 8.1 in the future.

lee_michael_f92

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Depends on your needs in a device and your budget. But I would say go for it and if you don't like it return it. May have a learning curve to it by I've heard some people absolutely love this machine and some have returned it. I for one will keep mine because of these reasons...

1. Expandable storage
2. Good screen
3. Excellent portability
4. Full windows
5. Price+excellent hardware=money's worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ted#WP

Feb 5, 2009
Visit site
Yes, worth every penny of it and then some.

The Metro mode works fine. Metro IE is fast and I prefer that over Chrome on desktop mode.

I don't have the stylus but I generally don't need it in Metro mode simply because software for Metro works fine with finger touching.

On the desktop mode a lot of times I rely on TouchMousePointer app from TouchMousePointer - virtual touchpad (on-screen mouse). I use it on Side mode and sometimes on Full Screen mode. It definitely makes the Desktop mode much more enjoyable to use on this small form factor I don't see the need for a stylus. It makes this DV8P complete and self-contained.

So yeah, it's worth it. My Nexus 7 is collecting dust!

lee_michael_f92

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Yes, worth every penny of it and then some.

The Metro mode works fine. Metro IE is fast and I prefer that over Chrome on desktop mode.

I don't have the stylus but I generally don't need it in Metro mode simply because software for Metro works fine with finger touching.

On the desktop mode a lot of times I rely on TouchMousePointer app from TouchMousePointer - virtual touchpad (on-screen mouse). I use it on Side mode and sometimes on Full Screen mode. It definitely makes the Desktop mode much more enjoyable to use on this small form factor I don't see the need for a stylus. It makes this DV8P complete and self-contained.

So yeah, it's worth it. My Nexus 7 is collecting dust!

I Lol'd at those because my nexus has a sad face on it sitting in the corner aswell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EVO-lutionary

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
I also ditched my Nexus 7 for this. Is it as good as a Nexus 7 purely as a Tablet? Nope. But it's DAMNED close, and will do Windows apps and the web to boot! Hell just the Amazon Prime Video and Hulu(without needing Hulu+) are awesome. Has flash. Prints. Networks. I'm loving it. Gave my 2013 Nexus 7 to my niece when her baby brother broke her 2012 attempting to jump out of a vehicle with it safely secured in his 4 year old mouth :p

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I have ditched my nexus 7 for the 2520 and now waiting for the ThinkPad8 as I miss the small tablet form factor when out an about. More manageable. I know its not DVP8 related but I bring it up because essentially it'll be night and day having a window tablet and more usability it offers to Android tablet. It'll be night and day.

Armada

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Things I really like are having Gimp, easy printing, any video codec I want, Java programs, all my favorite legacy programs, Japanese handwriting input, and being able to see Flash videos again (gotta love Homestar Runner).

EDIT: Also coming from a Nexus 7 (2012)

Ted#WP

Feb 5, 2009
Visit site
Hate to tell you all this, but as good as this DV8P is hardware wise, soon there will be a lot of people jumping off the wagon for Asus VivoTab Note 8. It's out already this week. The Asus is bigger, heavier, and thicker, all plasticy, but with all those minuses, the Wacom stylus is hard to beat I must say. And there's a slot built in.

EVO-lutionary

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Hate to tell you all this, but as good as this DV8P is hardware wise, soon there will be a lot of people jumping off the wagon for Asus VivoTab Note 8. It's out already this week. The Asus is bigger, heavier, and thicker, all plasticy, but with all those minuses, the Wacom stylus is hard to beat I must say. And there's a slot built in.

Why do you hate to tell us this? I don't care if something better(to some) is out now. I'm happy with my DVP8 :) The new one is $100 more as well.

xTmX Korrupt

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
I have been playing with the Venue Pro and I love it. Smooth, fast and I love having the full version on Windows 8.1 on it as well. Going to download some games on there and see how it goes.

turbulent28

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I returned mine this morning for a few easons:

- Noticed my local microcenter selling it around 199 when i payed 249 at office depot. (office depot doesnt price match micro)

- the heat that the tablet created was a bit of concern. I know this has been talked about before but I didnt want to add a cover. I think it looks sexy bare naked :)
I also didnt want my 3 year old to set this on his legs and burn himself. I was streaming game of thrones last night (on desktop/google) and it got the hottest Ive felt it. Not warm, not luke warm.. hot

- the touch sensitivity seemed off sometimes requiring multiple taps to open links

I really loved the size and platform. I loved being able to stream to chromecast (although the dealing with chromecast connectivity is a whole diff story...)
I dont care much for apps, I dont care much for social stuff. an 8" windows tablet is perfect

Ivre got to look for a replacement or dig deeper into this heating and multi taps situation. Im hoping it was simply a faulty unit because i really like the darn thing

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I dont understand how a tablet like the DVP have 4 stars out of 5 but yet it have issues everywhere, like over heating, with the charger and with the WiFi. I just don't understand how it got so great reviews.

David Rittenhouse

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I dont understand how a tablet like the DVP have 4 stars out of 5 but yet it have issues everywhere, like over heating, with the charger and with the WiFi. I just don't understand how it got so great reviews.
Not everyone has these issues. I've had my V8P for about 4 months and I've not had any issues like over-heating. I have occasionally lost wi-fi but a reboot has always fixed that. It's a quality device and I really am happy with my decision to purchase it.

Years ago when I worked in Customer Support, there was a saying that a happy customer will tell one or two people but an unhappy customer will tell 8 to 10 people. You are seeing the unhappy customer voicing his/her displeasure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2