Work on the go (Venue 11 Pro)

Ben Levi Giron

May 4, 2015
Visit site
Hi to everyoune! I'll post my first thread talking about the productivity that my Venue tablet has given to me.

First of all, here are some basic details about my tablet: Venue 11 Pro (5130). Intel Atom Baytrail Z3770 of 1.46 GHz with boost up to 2.4 GHz. 64 Gb for storage and 2 Gb of RAM.

At the begining, I was looking for a device to buy for keep in touch with my family for a trip that I had last year. Then a friend told me that, if I was going to buy somethig, it could be better if that device could help me to make some assignments from college. So that being said, I started to look for a nice tablet for work and entertaiment, and that's why I discovered this model.

Since December 2014 I've been very grateful for my tablet. Since I'm a complete time musician, I always have to search, download, print, and even write digital music, so first program that I installed to it was FINALE, to write music. The program works great with editing, exporting, printing and playing audio. And speaking of music, my companion for teaching and practicing is called PIANOTIME.

Of course that I'm always using Office programs for college, and now with the integration of OneNote everything is better. In order to edit sheet music, saved in PDF format, I use DRAWBOARD PDF and I visualize it on SONGREPERTOIRE (both apps from Windows App Store). AUDACITY to edit audios. OUTLOOK mail and CALENDAR, WUNDERLIST and MY STUDY LIFE, all for organize both work and study.

Finally, the last desktop program that I installed was PHOTOSHOP, and let me tell you that, for a decent and amateur usage, it works fine.

Of course that the daily apps are present in my tablet to, like Facebook app, Soundcloud and Skype.

I know that there are some issues every once in a while with this device, but, with the great help of comunities like this, I've been able to correct everything that was wrong and now all is Ok.

So, I would like to know if everyone else is working as hard as I am with a Venue 11 Pro ;)

Best Regards.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Glad you find it useful, I have the attached keyboard on mine. But I really don't use it unless I travel, and that isn't too often. I like the big 17" screen my laptop has. But on the go, there is no way I will haul this around. I will always switch to my Dell. Takes a little getting use to, with the smaller screen and being a little slower. I have the 7130/7139 with the intel i5 CPU, 4GB ram, 128GB storage and packing a 128GB sd card. Works great, and a lot easier to carry... Have fun with it...

Ben Levi Giron

May 4, 2015
Visit site
You know, I was thinkin on buying something like the model that you have, but I plan to get a nice laptop in the future so, for now, I need to save some money for that.

Traveling sounds like a good reason to have a Venue. With detachable battery and extra hours of power with the keyboard, it seems like a decent backup.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Nice review, Ben!

I always like to see reviews from actual users, not just from tech bloggers. It's great to see real-life experiences and how well devices do or don't work.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

dunkyduncs

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
Hi there

i only came across this thread today, but thought i would share a bit of my experience with my dell venue 11 pro. I have the 7139 i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD version and have completely replaced my work laptop with it. I make use of the dock connected to a larger monitor, wireless desktop and LAN cable for when i am at my desk. For meetings, it literally works as advertised, disconnect from the dock, connect to the keyboard and voila! The battery life on this machine is incredible! I run for 13-14 hours a day and can complete my work day no problem running only off battery.. it all depends on how many usb devices are connected.

Travelling is where it really shines, my version has the built in 3G modem, so the transition from office based LAN/WIFI is seamless to mobile data. The size makes it exceptionally portable :)

All in all this has been one of the best purchases i have made. To give you some idea, i previously was a developer and now head up IT for an organisation, so like to think of myself as a power user and this device keeps up with my requirements.

Ben Levi Giron

May 4, 2015
Visit site
It seems like you really push your device to the limits! Those kind of scenarios are what I think this technology is better for. (Congratulations for your transition from work, by the way).

Having a dock and a keyboard sounds good to compliment the tablet. Do you use a stylus for it to? I'm going to get one for me soon because of a new app called "Staff Pad" that recognizes your hand-write music notation and converts it into a digital sheet music. It will be exciting when I have both, the app and the active stylus!

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the review OP.

I also have had a Dell Venue 11 Pro 5130 for more than a year now. It was one of the best purchases I have ever made.

I got through my last year of the university with that, with note taking, writing long essays, and making power points. I used the tablet with the mobile keyboard. The rear facing camera also allowed me to take a picture of the classnotes without being too obvious.

I got a whole day use out of it with the battery left over at the end of the day. I used to and still pity MacBook users who have to bring their power cord to the library. It can be quite amusing seeing them "politely" fighting for the power holes in a public place.

For simply getting work done while utilizing office programs, you really do not need a i CPU, the Atom CPU is perfectly capable of doing the basic office productivity work, while allowing for entertainment via media consumption as well.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes