Data connection (greyed out) under WM 6.1

kodiakdjd

Oct 12, 2008
Visit site
After i upgraded my xv6800 from Windows 6.0 to 6.1, my Data button on the connections screen no longer works. It is greyed out.

Has Anyone else seen this?

I haven't found workaround or fix yet for this.

Some apps do not automatically start an internet cnnection for you if the Data connection (via phone netowrk) is not already cnnected.

It is annoying since if one wants to turn in the Data connection, one needs to first go to an app that will use the Data connection such as a broswer and launch it and access the internet.

Then one can go back and use the app that needs access to the internet.

kodiakdjd

Oct 12, 2008
Visit site
I don't this this is the wrong forum, for anyone using WM 6.1, which most either are or will be unless one waits for WM 7.x

I think others who are using WM 6.1 will run into the same problem and since RedFly also enhances the browser experience and other apps that use the internet, this problem could affect others.

Ebag333

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
I don't this this is the wrong forum, for anyone using WM 6.1, which most either are or will be unless one waits for WM 7.x

I think others who are using WM 6.1 will run into the same problem and since RedFly also enhances the browser experience and other apps that use the internet, this problem could affect others.

:confused:

So you only get this problem when using your Redfly?

The way you are wording your posts it sounds like this is happening all the time after you went from 6.0 to 6.1 (regardless of using the Redfly). I could post a question here about my Land Cruiser, and state "well the Redfly enhances my driving experience, so it could effect others." :D

If this IS just when using your Redfly, have you tried hard resetting and testing with nothing but the Redfly driver installed?

kodiakdjd

Oct 12, 2008
Visit site
EBag333,

You are correct that this problem is not a result and/or directly related to the using the RedFly.

I encountered the problem after updating from WM 6.0 to 6.1 a few weeks ago.

I haven't found any solutions to this problem and was hoping the tech savvy RedFly users (like you with your mechanical skills for RedFly battery replacement) might have run into this.

I develop code for a living but since the Windows OS is guarded like Fort Knox, many pieces and especally source code are mysteries to us and we have to rely on the hacking community to solve and investigate certain issues.

You will the debate on that point!

On the plus side, WM 6.1 lets me reboot my PPC without the never ending boot loop unless the SD card if removed during boot up. So one must take the good with the bad sometimes.

Again, since the xda developer's forum, etc. had no hints to solutions for the greyed out Data button, i was just hoping someone here might have solved it.

kodiakdjd

Oct 12, 2008
Visit site
I am confused. I have never seen an app that required you to manually start a data connection. What program are you referring to?

Some apps like puTTY (ssh tool), pingBox, etc. assume that the Data connection already exists. So if you start those and one does not have the data connection already connected, one needs to start the Data Connection which under WM 6.0 one could do from the Comm Manager by clicking on the Data button.

The IE browser, etc. automatically start the Data connection if not already running.

Under WM 6.1, since the Data button is greyed out, one must open an app that atomatically opens the Data Connection on the PPC, then close it, then go back to the other app like puTTY and then use it.

Ebag333

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
The Redfly forum isn't highly populated (yet.... :D ).

Additionally relatively few of us (any of us?) has the 6800, or any knowledge of it. This sounds like a very specific question about that device, and will likely need assistance from other 6800 users.

Now if you move to a 700wx or an 800w, THEN I can help you. But in those forums, not here. ;)

wodin

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
Sounds like another example of VZW crippleware to me, it's most definitely NOT a WinMo 6.1 issue as my Sprint Touch with WinMo 6.1 Comm manager Data Connection button works fine.

cuzlion

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
Alltel ppc 6800 works fine

I am using the Sprint drivers on my Alltel ppc 6800 which is using the stock recently released Alltel WM 6.1 ROM. It is exactly the same phone as the Verizon XV6800 but the Alltel WM 6.1 ROM isn't crippled in the delightful way Verizon likes to do with their phones. My GPS is accessible to any third party application and MMS works and I can tether my phone to a notebook without additional fees, etc.

But as far as this forum goes I have no similar data connection issue and have no Redfly problems. The Sprint Mogul 6.1 driver is listed as a beta but since Sprint doesn't cripple their phones either I thought it best to stay away from any Verizon related software, you might try using the Sprint Mogul drivers yourself, they will work with your phone as they are not really device specific. Better yet go to XDA and get a decent ROM for that poor crippled XV6800 so you can get the most out of a pretty decent piece of hardware, before Vz mutilated it. Cuz

btate0121

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Are you using a cooked rom? I would recommend that if you're going to use the redfly.. you use a stock rom. I used a cooked rom as well and ran into problems (most related to touchflo2d) but after switching to the stock tilt rom.. i'm good.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon