Touch Diamond and Touch Pro beta drivers

lynnpreston

Nov 21, 2008
Visit site
The TouchPro is not really a problem... in the sense that, I am using a TouchPro with a RedFly, and they work perfectly together.

Opera 9.5 is a problem, because it draws directly to the screen. It by-passes the operating system and, in doing so, by-passes the RedFly driver.

The problem with huge fonts... applications are just not built to cope with font-sizes suddenly changing. Especially applications that are already running (like the Today screen). Even if they could cope, all the artwork for icons is too big (like the Windows logo for the start-menu, for example). Hence you get the "Fisher Price" look.

If I understand right, the Sprint branded variant doesn't work at all with the old drivers. Why that is, I have no idea. But Celio seem to have that fixed.

I'm afraid that solving the "Fisher Price" issue, without reducing application compatibility, will be extremely difficult (and might not be possible).

I still don't get why my HTC Titan on WM 6.1 worked perfectly without the Fisher Price issue, but the Touch Pro proves to be so different. It can't be a problem inherent in the OS or the applications since the "same OS" and same applications worked fine with the RedFly and Titan. I know WM is heavily customized for each device with all sorts of complicated drivers, so saying the same OS is a bit of an exaggeration.

matty76

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I picked up the HTC Touch Pro (Verizon Model) on Saturday. I had emailed Celio before I picked up the phone and they said to try the Sprint model beta drivers on it.

I downloaded the Sprint drivers, flashed my RedFly (everything successful), went to connect the phone for the first time and nutt'n. It gets hung on the "waiting for phone" and times out.

I did have it paired with my old Treo 700w (VZW model) before this and it worked perfectly.

Anyone have any thoughts?

cuzlion

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
64 Driver Issues

OK, I have the latest driver on my TouchPro, Alltel version, same as Sprint's. Also I have TF3D turned off, always. I use Pocket Plus as my Today Screen add in. I also use S2U2 but turn it off manually before connecting the Redfly.

Here are the remaining issues:
1) Bluetooth will not stay connected for more than a few seconds at worst to a few minutes at best, it is basically so flakey at maintaining a connection as to be unusable. The cable works fine though.
2) WiFi keeps turning itself off when the Redfly is connected. It is very random and unrepeatable but I will have to go to the comm mgr and turn the wifi radio back on four or five times in an hour session when I am on wifi rather than 3G(which is at home in my case).
3)My contextual menus keep getting the font reset which requires me to use a registry editor to put them back large enough to see well when the Redfly is not in use and I am using the phone's screen.
4)Not a defect but a "feature". The fonts appropriate in WM and the zoom level in PIE appropriate for a 2.8 inch VGA screen are not appropriate for an 8 inch 800 by 450 res screen. I find myself opening the Screen settings everytime I hook up my Redfly and then adjusting the zoom settings on PIE everytime I browse with it on the Redfly. It would be jiffy keen if the Redfly driver let you save some Redfly preferences on fonts and zoom levels for when the Redfly was hooked up and then restored the original or some set of user default preferences when the Redfly was disconnected. Seems fairly simple and in keeping with the rest of Celio's philosophy.

Even with these issues the Redfly is a dream, if you could fix the Bluetooth that's the main thing. If you address 2,3 or 4 above even better but Bluetooth is great in airports where you don't have a good place to set both a phone and a Redfly that are tethered together. And having that leash between them is just a good way to get either the shiny shiny expensive phone or the Redfly dropped onto a hard floor. My Bluetooth worked awesomely well on my Mogul so surely this can be done, all my other BT headsets and gadgets work just as well on the TP as they did on the Mogul? Cuz.

graham.hughes

Nov 5, 2008
Visit site
I still don't get why my HTC Titan on WM 6.1 worked perfectly without the Fisher Price issue, but the Touch Pro proves to be so different. It can't be a problem inherent in the OS or the applications since the "same OS" and same applications worked fine with the RedFly and Titan. I know WM is heavily customized for each device with all sorts of complicated drivers, so saying the same OS is a bit of an exaggeration.

Titan is a QVGA device, right? Because QVGA and VGA screens are about the same (3") size, pixels on the QVGA screen are larger. This is the DPI issue that RealVGA attempts to fix.

A QVGA screen (and a RedFly screen) are about 96dpi... the Redfly just has more pixels. So everything looks fine.

A VGA screen is about 192dpi. Because the dpi is double, the phone has to draw fonts twice the size. The phone doesn't know that the dpi drops when you plug the RedFly in, so it carries on drawing huge fonts.

This fix would be to change the dpi setting, like RealVGA does. The downside, as you know from using RealVGA, is that applications will not handle this mid-session, and the device needs to be rebooted.

Possibly, some bright spark will figure out how to re-start just enough of what's running, without re-starting the entire operating system. If it's possible, this might be faster, but not seamless. And you would lose some application compatibility, because applications would not necessarily have image resources of the right size (with RealVGA, you have to install a resource pack, so that standard apps like Outlook work properly).

bioart#WP

Aug 22, 2000
Visit site
So far so good with .67

Bluetooth was way stable. Was not able to crash it in my short testing (~10 min)(but I could usually crash the other versions within 30 secs). TF3D is now disabled again, but I think that's the better decision. This won't be much of a problem if it doesn't crash as much, since the drivers re-enable it after a disconnect.

Was not able to use the camera while connected, but I guess that's expected. Would have been cool to take self-pics while looking at the redfly screen :)

stanip

Apr 6, 2007
Visit site
I tried out the new .67 driver on a touch pro. Haven't noticed any difference so far... other than the reconnection time becomes very long. Now it takes 15-20 secs to reconnect once BT is lost and the cleartype selection no longer seems to do anything.

It is really sad that Celio does not know how to manage all these new driver development and they don't even log and inform us the changes. Mskovrinskie's comment clearly reflects how the redfly community feels at this point: lack of confidence. Not sure how long Celio can hold on to the current group of users before they throw in the towel... :(

phildro

Nov 12, 2002
Visit site
I'm pleased with the update. I agree that BT is much more reliable- in fact this is the first driver with a workable bluetooth stack.

But in the quest for continuous improvement, I have some feedback:

* Incoming calls display now, but the screen takes a long time to draw, so its tough to screen callers since I can't see who's calling.

* Screen drawing is slow in a number of ways, like typing emails and text messages. I am usually typing ahead of what I can see on the screen.

* Still hoping to see an update from Opera Mobile to make it work. Does anyone have a date when Opera 9.5 goes GA? I am experimenting with Netfront and like that much better than PIE, although I'm looking for the scroll bar.

* Wondering if Celio plans to bring the TF3D back eventually? If so, I hope that the landscape version of the home screen with the eight square buttons could be used, instead of the portrait/clock screen. It is much better sized to the aspect of the Fly's screen. Thoughts?

* I've been experimenting with getting more from the Today landing page, and put in the desktop background. I also found the "Task" utility from HTC so that I can kill apps directly from the home screen without TF3D enabled.

The enable/disable procedure for TF3D is still pretty unreliable. Hope this gets better.

As always, thanks for all the hard work in driver development.

cuzlion

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
67 driver comments

In one word, terrific. The font thing seems totally fixed. Every app has the tiniest fonts automatically set when the Redfly is connected then goes back to the default ones when you disconnect, that's very sweet. Bluetooth is much better, seems perfect as long as you stay in one app, like Opera Mini on the Fly but still flakey if you are jumping around multiple apps, much better and probably usable now though.

One word of caution. I COULD NOT INSTALL following instructions. My Alltel TouchPro locked up five times in a row. The only way I could get it to work was to reinstall 64, then install the 67 phone driver, then install the 67 firmware with the phone DISCONNECTED from the Redfly and then not connecting until that second "NEXT" screen came up that asks to be sure your phone is really connected, if I waited until then to connect my phone it worked. If doing it connected from the start locks up your phone like it did mine then try this as an alternate plan, worked for me. This driver is sweet, thanks Celio guys, could still use a little Bluetooth tweaking but this is very close to the Mogul driver now. Cuz

epamis

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Just downloaded the 67 drivers for my HTC Diamond and did not notice much of a difference.

I have two main issues at the moment.

1. Font on the today screen is so big it does not show all of the options in the drop down Start menu. Specifically can't select Programs or Settings.

Internet Explorer is pretty bad as well. Between the Start Bar, the URL entry bar and the bottom menu bar, I probably lose 1/3 of the screen real estate.

2. Responsiveness is quite slow. If I hover the mouse over one of the entries in the Start menu and then move to the next entry, it takes almost 2 seconds to highlight the next entry.

How are other people finding these two issues on their Diamonds?

Thanks,

Michael

phildro

Nov 12, 2002
Visit site
A lot of folks have complained about losing screen real estate with the "Fisher Price" effect. I have been playing with RealVGA and have had good results with it.

I encourage you to check it out for yourselves, but I recommend getting the modules built for the Epix, else your contacts and other things will not work properly.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=327830&page=63

The upside is that when tethered, my Fly renders the Touch Pro menus in a much better proportion to the screen, giving you lots more room to browse, edit, whatever. I would even say that the connection *FEELS* quicker when connecting the Fly, perhaps because it is easier to render the 96DPI?

Maybe I'm dreaming. Oh well, now for the downside:

When you disconnect from the Fly and just use the phone directly, the menus are so small that you can barely see them. A lot of finger action goes away and it even becomes tough to poke things accurately with the stylus-- so small.

The good news is that most things can be done via TF3D and that is the same size. Its only when you get into WinMo proper that you feel like Ralph in The Mouse and the Motorcycle.

I can live with a quick soft reset to restore the regular font size if I'm going untethered for a while.

Try it for yourself-- for those who are complaining of huge menus, you'll like RealVGA (with the EPIX settings)...

Good luck!

cuzlion

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
.7 is out but seems the same as .67. I can't find anything that changed. Bluetooth is just as flakey and unusable. Opera and Skyfire still won't run. Fonts are still working better but .67 already had that working. And for some reason my wifi turns itself off when I switch apps or just at random, not just lose the connection but the radio turns itself off, all by itself. Very irritating and never happens when the Redfly is disconnected, am I alone in having the problem? I live in a fringe area so I use wifi at home, pretty much use the Evdo or RevA everywhere else. Cuz

Viva Terlingua

Dec 19, 2007
Visit site
When you disconnect from the Fly and just use the phone directly, the menus are so small that you can barely see them. A lot of finger action goes away and it even becomes tough to poke things accurately with the stylus-- so small.

Good luck!

How do you get the menu sizes back? I removed the Redfly driver and reset my device and the menus are still miniature.

edk

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Where did the text go?

Anyone else here running Herg's excellent modified HTC Black theme with Landscape TF3D (yes, Landscape TF3D!!!)? Awesome look and feel if you like TF3D (I know some here don't - that's cool too).

Anyway, with the theme loaded, the home screen on RF shows the icons on the left as usual, but no text (either white on white or invisible). The hot spots are still there, so the functions still work, and appear properly with the select highlight when tapped. Just on the Home screen - all others seem fine.

Also, the white text on light grey legend bars at the bottom are very hard to read, and this is on all relevant screens (not an artifact of the theme I - I believe this was like this before).

Other than that, all functions seem to work fine with this theme loaded. If you liked the original HTC Black theme and gave it up due to misc. problems, Herg and friends (over at XDA) have done an outstanding job on this theme - much work went into making it work and look good, with quite a few user suggested features added and beta tests run to most everyone's satisfaction before GA.

C'mon Celio - pony up and do the same!

(still running Beta .64)

- Ed K.

edk

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Lynn,

The link to the topic is on the XDA Developers forum - you 'll need to set up a login (free).

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=447056

If the link doesn't work, it is thread "xda-developers > Raphael > Raphael software > [THEME]12/23/08 Fuze Flip Clock V7 (Including Landscape TF3D)" on http://forum.xda-developers.com.

There are currently 51 pages in this thread - a very popular theme and active user group. Link to the actual file by hitting the "FOUND HERE on Mediafire" link in Blue. there are a few lingering issues that they are working on, even today, but the theme rocks.

Good luck and hope you like it.

- Ed K.

cuzlion

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
Bluetooth is working now with .72 driver!!!!

What a nice Christmas present from the Redfly driver team, finally after weeks of not being able to use bluetooth with my Alltel (CDMA) Touch Pro and the Redfly it now seems rock solid. How solid? Well, I have been on almost 30 minutes and checked email, clicked through to web links, surfed and waded into WMExperts forum to post this on PIE which is not a good browser for this site on this phone, molasses speed, but not one invalid sequence, dropped link, stutter, freeze, it is just as solid or more so than my old Mogul was, sweet.....

Now I assume this is due solely to the driver but someone else will need to confirm, I have also tweaked the living daylights out of this phone over the holidays and it is possible I suppose that one of the many registry changes got rid of something that was my problem, but my guess is this will solve everyone's BT connection issues, sure hope so anyway. My other pet peeve is that the Redfly driver used to kick me off wifi, actually turn the radio off somehow, every few minutes. That is a problem at home where my cell signal stinks but not anywhere else since Rev A is just as fast and is available most everywhere in the world it seems except in my home. I will test that feature tonight, with any luck they got that one too. Great job Redfly techs, Happy New Year! Cuz

cuzlion

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
WiFi still drops with Bluetooth and Redfly .72

Fortunately this isn't a deal breaker but I still have a problem with the wifi radio on the touch pro turning itself off constantly when the RedFly is connected via bluetooth to the phone. When I use the usb cable it seems to maybe have gone away with the .72 driver or at least it is infrequent but since I can only use wifi at home due to my rural address I will have to cable up to Redfly. I tried several things, like locking my phone to 1X instead of letting it switch to evdo. It gets a lousy signal at my home so it is constantly seeking and the wifi would drop when the phone would switch radios I noticed. Well it stopped that of course when I locked it to 1X but no help cause when I would launch any app or even switch web sites it would also turn off the wifi radio. I have never had it happen unless the Redfly is connected, and now only seems to be frequent when the Redfly is Bluetooth connected to the Touch Pro. At least when I am in a hotel or airport now and want to check a quick email or website I won't have to cable up and at home it isn't a big deal but is a slight nuisance, help Redfly techs, surely there is an easy fix? Cuz

edk

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Screens now readable, but WiFi unstable on .72

Loaded .72 today, ran it against the latest HTC Black theme (stunning, and working TF3D in landscape!), and voila, I can actually see all of the text on the RF that I could not see before. Screens are black backs with white text like the theme, until it switches to a non-theme screen, then it's normal. Home screen look terrific (though still have the grey banner at the bottom) - text size for the most part is perfect, read lots of email, SMS, and web material. Yeah, some menus are still Lego block sized, but hey - we're getting somewhere now!

For the first time I was able to enable Wifi and launch my home automation control screens and monitor and control stuff around the house, which worked swimmingly for a while. I agree with other posts that RF is frequently dropping the WiFi connection, and I was running tethered (so I'm not sure about BT stability yet). But for the first time I was actually able to USE the RF for something other than just test it.

Oh, and TF3D was switching on and off as it should - didn't see any issue there with this rev.

Progress is good! C'mon Celio - keep up the pace with the XDA boys! ;-)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes