E71x Support

Bill R

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Ok, just saw the new E71x for AT&T and I am in techno lust. It apparently runs Symbian S60 so no Redfly. Is there any hope of a Redfly driver for S60?

EdFrmBrighthand

Aug 8, 2007
www.brighthand.com
Maybe Celio will weigh in, but I haven't been able to get anything out of them about Symbian support aside from vague assurances that they are looking into other operating systems.

They have shown off a version running Android, and dropped some hints about BlackBerry support, but have been mum about Symbian, as far as I can remember.
-

laurieny

Oct 28, 2008
Visit site
I agree that the E71x is one cool phone, but I can't say anything specific about Symbian here or Ed will write a story about it.

LOL - sorry I just couldn't resist teasing Ed.

Seriously, Symbian support is on our product roadmap and we have done some R&D work with this platform. Currently we do not plan to have support for it available in 2009. However, as I have mentioned before, we are a very agile engineering company so that plan could change if there were business conditions that warranted expedited development for it.

Thanks,
Laurie

Director of Engineering
Celio Corp | REDFLY

Wireless

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Now that is an eloquent response!!

I agree that the E71x is one cool phone, but I can't say anything specific about Symbian here or Ed will write a story about it.

Seriously, Symbian support is on our product roadmap and we have done some R&D work with this platform. Currently we do not plan to have support for it available in 2009. However, as I have mentioned before, we are a very agile engineering company so that plan could change if there were business conditions that warranted expedited development for it.

Thanks,
Laurie

Director of Engineering
Celio Corp | REDFLY

EdFrmBrighthand

Aug 8, 2007
www.brighthand.com

Seriously, Symbian support is on our product roadmap and we have done some R&D work with this platform. Currently we do not plan to have support for it available in 2009.
Laurie, now I'm tempted to write an article titled: "No Redfly Support for Symbian this Year"

:D

If anyone is wondering what we're talking about, see this article:
http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=14990&subject=Celio+Redfly+BlackBerry

All kidding aside, I don't blame Celio for taking a wait-and-see attitude about Symbian. This operating system is in the process of a profound change, as S60 is merged into the OS and the whole kitnkaboodle is taken open source. It seems to me that a driver written for what's available now will have to be almost totally rewritten in the next year or so.
-

Aware

Mar 23, 2008
Visit site
Yeah but there are more Nokia phones in the world than any other. There's plenty of phones already out there that could take advantage of 'current' drivers for quite a while.

I think Celio Corp is maybe looking too closely at the US market (few Nokia phones oin the market, relatively speaking) and not enough at the Euro/Asian markets.

IMHO ;-)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon