Any plans for the Palm Pre?

wodin

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
I have to confess, the little beauty is making my mouth water! It might be enough to convince me to abandon my REDFLY!

ckj

Jul 31, 2008
www.celiocorp.com
No firm plans yet and we have to get Android and Blackberry completed first. We'd certainly like to support WebOS and the Pre if possible. The actual development would be fairly straightforward for us. The two big questions are a) will Palm move enough WebOS phones for the numbers to make sense to us; and b) Will Palm allow anyone to install our low-level driver out-of-the-box without needing to hack/root/jailbreak the phone?

Our software driver is too complex to be written in the current WebOS Mojo SDK fashion, so we'd have to have much lower level access and also wouldn't write our driver using the Web standards-based method that current Pre developers can use. Palm doesn't give developers that kind of access now, nor do they give customers a way to install that type of app through the Palm App Catalog.

It's promising for us that MotionApps Classic is available because it looks pretty clear that Palm gave them lower level access compared to your typical Mojo developer. However, we may need even lower-level access than MotionApps received in order to develop a REDFLY driver so all bets are off.

We've been amazingly impressed with the Pre and would love to support WebOS.

Feedback from our customers will certainly help us make a decision too so please speak out if you'd like to see WebOS support.

wodin

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the thoughtful, informative reply Colin, I too have been "been amazingly impressed with the Pre". And that's saying something for a confirmed WinMo aficionado like myself. I went down to the Sprint store Saturday, and was told not only are they sold out, but there's a waiting list.

I'm not sure they will transfer my SERO plan to a Pre though, so all bets may be off!

bioart#WP

Aug 22, 2000
Visit site
Hi,

so it's been a while and I decided to check back on the Redfly, since they are basically collecting dust now that I own a pre...

Given that palm has certainly opened the developer floodgates (and seems to happy to give people multiple ways to install apps), is the future brighter for the redfly on the pre? please say yes! :)

thx

ckj

Jul 31, 2008
www.celiocorp.com
Sorry bioart, still no news on the Pre. As soon as we get BlackBerry, WM 6.5 and Android we would like to work more on the Pre but to date none of the issues above have been really addressed in a way that would help us out.

MPrimo

Mar 2, 2009
Visit site
lorelai1,

Again not sure where you are getting your information nor why you would be trying to speak for Celio Corp. See post from CKJ above for our official current position on this.

Matt
Celio Corp|REDFLY

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon