03-18-2014 03:26 PM
53 123
tools
    tile300v2.png

Thanks to all beta testers. BETA is CLOSED. The game is released.

Windows Phone 8 users can now download Super Polygon v1.0.
    Windows 8.1 users can now download Super Polygon v1.0.

Please don't forget to rate it a 5-star game and keep providing feedback. We have a lot of stuff coming in next update.

Super Polygon is a twitchy, hypnotic music-rhythm based game that looks deceptively simple but is hard to master. This is the game you need to zone out and lose yourself in the minimalist action mechanic beating to the music. You will get trapped in complex polygon patterns, repeatedly die and get frustrated. But you will rejoice when you figure out the patterns and how to navigate the treacherous polygon world. This is not Flappy bird, this is some hard core stuff. So zone in or zone out... and get ready for addictive gameplay.
    First check out the tutorial/learn mode, choose the visual theme you like and then get down to it. Prove yourself in Super Square, Super Pentagon, Super Hexagon and Super Octagon to put your best score on the online leaderboard. Please provide feedback and don't forget to rate it a 5-star game. Like our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/superpolygon

=====================================================================

Some of you maybe familiar with the hit game "Super Hexagon" on iOS / Android. Since the developer is not interested in bringing the game to Windows platform (phone and tablet), I started on a project to bring a similar experience for Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8.1.
    Attached Thumbnails tile300.png  
    Last edited by danglingneuron; 03-21-2014 at 10:26 AM.
    tardismatrix22 likes this.
    02-06-2014 04:15 PM
    Thanks for supporting our platform by developing a new game. Good luck with your beta test and with your game.
    danglingneuron likes this.
    02-06-2014 10:28 PM
    Come on guys, have to start beta in 3 days, sign up!!
    02-08-2014 08:08 PM
    Already signed up! Where is the link?
    danglingneuron likes this.
    02-08-2014 11:44 PM
    Already signed up! Where is the link?
    yes, I will be sending out beta link in 3 days. Have to get organized for beta feedback and still tweaking the gameplay a little to get it to where I think I will get good feedback.
    Mohamed Ashid likes this.
    02-09-2014 01:25 AM
    Why test game for free when there are companies who pay, unless it it something really cool? Check the link.
    http://www.gamingjobsonline.com/
    02-11-2014 03:51 PM
    Link??
    02-13-2014 06:02 AM
    Everyone who has signed up for beta should now have an email from "Dangling Concepts" with the subject "Super Polygon Beta 1.0 Download". Please check your spam/junk folder if you cant find the email.

Download the game on your windows phone 8 device and let the play-testing begin :)
    Last edited by danglingneuron; 03-21-2014 at 10:27 AM.
    02-14-2014 02:41 PM
    I loved the game but then I get confused mid way with the controls :P
    02-19-2014 10:11 AM
    Just signed up for the beta, but haven't been granted access yet. Took a look at the listing, and was curious as to why the app requires access to the Photo Library?

Looking forward to trying this out and providing feedback; own Super Hexagon on both my iPhone and on my PC via Steam so I was disappointed when I saw he wasn't porting it to devices like Windows Phone and the Surface
    02-19-2014 10:23 AM
    Thanks for trying it out.. it does need patience in the beginning.. but if you stick with it, you start recognizing the patterns.. if you have any suggestions on controls let me know. Next beta buil will be out in a couple days with settings to tweak controls and then some..
    02-20-2014 12:44 PM
    Will give you access in a bit.. I have to tweak the access settings.. since it is a beta I did not pay attention to those.. I don't think it should require photo lib access.
    Yes, I had contacted the SH developer to offer him help in porting to WP8 and Surface last year but he is not interested at all. So this year I started with Super Polygon. Hopefully will release by mid March but need lots of help from beta testers to help shape the game and provide ideas on how to differentiate it.

Just signed up for the beta, but haven't been granted access yet. Took a look at the listing, and was curious as to why the app requires access to the Photo Library?

Looking forward to trying this out and providing feedback; own Super Hexagon on both my iPhone and on my PC via Steam so I was disappointed when I saw he wasn't porting it to devices like Windows Phone and the Surface
    02-20-2014 12:47 PM
    The quit button is too small to be noticed and in the corner :p changing the color might do it or making it bold
    02-20-2014 01:35 PM
    Not a problem at all, appreciate the access. Will provide feedback once I get some hands on time with Super Polygon!
    02-20-2014 01:52 PM
    The quit button is too small to be noticed and in the corner :p changing the color might do it or making it bold
    Noted. will fix it.
    02-20-2014 06:16 PM
    I signed up yesterday,any word on when I will have permission to download it?
    02-21-2014 05:16 PM
    I signed up yesterday,any word on when I will have permission to download it?
    you will receive an email with instructions in 2 hours.
    02-21-2014 08:05 PM
    you will receive an email with instructions in 2 hours.
    hi,i'm registred to the beta,but i haven't received the link For download
    02-22-2014 12:47 PM
    Hey there, just reporting in with my feedback from the Beta of Super Polygon.

First off, awesome job capturing the look of Super Hexagon during game play. The game looks fluid in motion and I could get any frame rate drops when I tried on the 920, 1020, and the 1520.

The following is just my observations and opinions from playing and are no way indicative of any other users, also please note I am focusing on things that I felt needed improvement or just felt "wrong". I figure that while praise on what you got right is great, constructive criticism will help make the app more polished and smooth.

First off, the menu screen seems way to complicated and busy. Super Hexagon is all about minimalism in the UI and having the slanted buttons, mini buttons in the banner, and then the regular buttons on the bottom combines way to many different elements and confuses the user while looking cluttered.

Second, the tutorial is definitely helpful... But had some flaws; it moves far too slow (this can be remedied by adding more obstacles at the slow pace, or increasing the speed slightly - I almost lost interest in the tutorial because if this) and it ends too abruptly (would be great to see it fade out, display a completion screen, or go straight into a round of "Polygon" mode seamlessly like in Super Hexagon)

Third, the controls seem a little loose however this isn't necessarily a bad thing (they just don't feel as tight and responsive as Super Hexagon - not sure if it is the movement speed or what but something just seemed off)

Fourth (this is one I'm sure people will be mixed on), in Super Hexagon hitting the side of a wall wouldn't kill you (it stops your movement until the wall moves) and the only thing that kills you is the bottom of the wall hitting you; I have had a few deaths in Super Polygon however because I went through the side of a wall (or tapped it ever so slightly) - to me, this aspect makes the game feel a little cheap and unpolished as well as seeming to force some unnecessary difficulty.

Fifth, for some reason the game feels a bit slower than Super Hexagon (i.e. Getting to 120 seconds in Hexagon doesn't feel like it took two minute, but it definitely feels like it took more than two minutes to get there in Polygon. This is personal opinion and i think that will go away in time.
    02-25-2014 09:31 PM
    Sixth, Super Hexagon is all about twitch reactions and speed. One thing I noticed when retrying is that it takes a few seconds to reset, zoom out, and start to play again. I, and I assume many others, would appreciate faster restarts when we die so we can get right back in on the action (nothing quite like dying with 5 seconds on Hyper Hexagonest!)

And lastly, number seven... One of the key things I enjoyed about my time with Hexagon is that when I died and restarted... The music picked up at a different(semi-random) place. This really helped keep me enthralled and made me feel like what I was doing was less repetitive and I think is a huge part of why I went back for more and more of Hexagon.

Overall, I think you have a great base and am looking forward to trying out future revisions as well as being able to scratch my Hexagon itch when I'm away from my iOS device or my computer.

I'll continue to play and provide more feedback as well, can't wait to see what the higher difficulty levels look like and what kind of nee music they hold for us

EDIT - Sorry for the double post, the WPCentral app stopped displaying text in the text box partway through the paragraph so I posted what I had
    Last edited by Idiosyncrasy; 02-25-2014 at 09:44 PM.
    02-25-2014 09:34 PM
    Awesome.. thank you so much for the detailed feedback. All points noted, will work through them.

A new beta release coming tomorrow with the following:

1. Level 2 with its own music track and new wall patterns
    2. Settings - player speed, themes, colors

As for your points:

1. Menu screen - will work on it to see how it can be simplified
    2. Tutorial - yes its too slow even for my taste.. but for someone who doesn't have any idea what SH is.. maybe its alright. Someone like yourself would probably not even do a tutorial. But again, I will increase the speed a tiny bit. Completion screen etc will be added
    3. Controls - added a setting screen with player speed setting.. so will wait for your feedback on that
    4. Wall Side - this one I am not too sure about. but will definitely think about it. I will probably take a poll towards the end of the beta on this one.
    5. Feel - hmmm... will have to see why that is.. maybe its the speed of things?
    6. Retry time - yes I agree, I have to put that delay in there to load an ad. That's the only way to support a free game. BUT, I will provide an option to remove ad.. and when the ad is removed, there will be no delay, I will make sure retry is instantaneous.
    7. Music random - the strategy I am using.. (beta 2) is that on player death, music is paused. and then resumed from the same place when player hits retry. So its continuation. This happens till the music is at the 1 minute mark. If you die after the music's 1-minute mark, the music is again reset from the start. All music tracks are approx. 3 minutes long. So hopefully this technique keeps the player from getting bored and will be able to at least listen 1 minute of music even if he keeps dying at 5 seconds in the level.

Sixth, Super Hexagon is all about twitch reactions and speed. One thing I noticed when retrying is that it takes a few seconds to reset, zoom out, and start to play again. I, and I assume many others, would appreciate faster restarts when we die so we can get right back in on the action (nothing quite like dying with 5 seconds on Hyper Hexagonest!)

And lastly, number seven... One of the key things I enjoyed about my time with Hexagon is that when I died and restarted... The music picked up at a different(semi-random) place. This really helped keep me enthralled and made me feel like what I was doing was less repetitive and I think is a huge part of why I went back for more and more of Hexagon.

Overall, I think you have a great base and am looking forward to trying out future revisions as well as being able to scratch my Hexagon itch when I'm away from my iOS device or my computer.

I'll continue to play and provide more feedback as well, can't wait to see what the higher difficulty levels look like and what kind of nee music they hold for us

EDIT - Sorry for the double post, the WPCentral app stopped displaying text in the text box partway through the paragraph so I posted what I had
    02-26-2014 10:37 AM
    Just an update - Player triangle and side wall collision implemented. 4 Themes implemented: Flat, Dragon, 3D, Spike

flat.pngdragon.png
    3d.pngspike.png
    Last edited by danglingneuron; 02-27-2014 at 04:33 PM.
    02-27-2014 03:13 PM
    Looks awesome, any word on when the update will launch on the store for us?
    02-27-2014 03:21 PM
    Will try to send out beta 2 in 12 hours. You guys will receive an email.
    02-27-2014 03:26 PM
    Super Polygon V1.1 Beta is Ready!

I am so excited to announce Super Polygon v1.1beta. Thank you for your interest in helping me test Super Polygon.

In this update:
    1. Added a second level with its own music track
    2. Added player rotation speed to settings screen
    3. Added 4 awesome themes: Flat, Dragon, 3D, Spikes
    4. Player object is now a triangle
    5. Side wall collision will not kill the player (in most cases)
    6. Added new wall patterns
    7. Added some sounds/announcements (still work in progress)
    8. Added a setting to enable "test mode". In this mode player will not die, so you can go through the whole level to test it.

I only have 2 weeks left to complete this game, so its critical that I get feedback from you guys. Please respond with feedback, suggestions, critique by Monday next week.
    You can send me feedback by replying to this email or from you phone - just tap on the "mail" icon on the main menu screen in the game.

You should be able to download the game; if you face any issues, wait 10 minutes and try again.

The game is all about music and action. It looks deceptively simple and can get frustrating :) so make sure to put the volume on high since I need feedback on the music as well.

If you haven't played it before, please play tutorial by tapping the "LEARN" button. Additional levels with their own music tracks are coming.

Please like our facebook page.

Thank You,

Imran Shafiq
    @danglingneuron
    Last edited by danglingneuron; 03-21-2014 at 10:27 AM.
    02-27-2014 10:05 PM
53 123