No XNA for Windows 8

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
So, apparently Jon Lam at Build confirmed that XNA won't be in Windows 8.

XNA will still likely work in the Desktop app. (classic mode) But it won't be able to be used for "Metro Style Apps". So basically, it won't be used for the whole new side of Windows 8. There is currently no framework in the new WinRT API that is equivalent to XNA. If you want to access DirectX, then you have to use C++.

Is this the beginning of the end for XNA?

I asked Brandon Watson about this. He just said that all XNA games will work in the next version of Windows Phone. But that sounds to me like XNA won't be the primary method of making games in the next version of Windows Phone.

So, if you're a small dev with limited time and money, does it make sense to invest a lot in a pipeline that is dependent on XNA right now? Is XNA a dead end?

And also, does this mean that future of Windows Phone games is through native code?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Most of the APIs will already have hooks into DirectX to take care of all the standard graphic needs. Though games often need more direct access.

From what I understand, you'll only be able to directly access DirectX using C++. At least in "Metro Style Apps".

There isn't an equivalent to XNA within WinRT.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...(v=VS.85).aspx

This shows that under
Graphics (3D Transforms)
XNA Framework Class Library, Content Pipeline Class Library

There is "No equivalent at this time."

Also here there is info about game development in Windows 8 (non Classic).
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...(v=VS.85).aspx

"If you want to use advanced game development technologies, such as DirectX, you must know Windows and C++ programming, and understand some math (trigonometry, linear algebra) and basic physics."

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
A light bulb just popped over my head.

I'm betting that we're going to see games developed using the Unity game engine being deployed to Windows 8 in all form factors.

And I bet they'll also run in Windows Phone 8.

CommonBlob

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
This is kinda the case with most apps though.

They need to conform to the metro touch api. If you buy Call of Duty, thats not going to be in the Metro interface either is it? Yeah im sure you will get your link in Xbox live, but i bet you could with XNA as it will just be an installer hook.

All I say is wait and see.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I was just hoping that you could play Windows Phone games in Windows 8.

Then again, the XNA team might come out with something new later that runs on top of WinRT.

JedH

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I think people may be overthinking this.

I'd imagine standard desktop games can still be made in XNA but the Metro style apps that probably launch differently or run differently will use the regular SDK for graphical needs.

I'd imagine phone apps will be all XNA or no XNA, however it's hard to say as the Kernel for Windows Phone 8 will likely be different from Windows 8.

Even now there's not much need for XNA in a metro style app on Windows Phone, the only thing I find I rely on XNA for is creating message boxes with custom buttons, and hopefully the Windows 8 SDK will allow us to have more than just "ok" or "cancel" for buttons. My thoughts anyways.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos