My Own apps for My Phone

pacsmit

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Hi

Perhaps this has been asked before...

How can I write a app for use on my phone and a few of my friends phone or coleugues phones?

I've seen similar posts, mentioning DreamSpark for instance.

But, dreamspark would only allow me to write an app for my phone. What if I want the same app on my friends phone, but I don't want to put it on the marketplace for everyone.

Or, what if I write an app for the windows phone in our company to connect to the hardware we design. I don't want to place an app like that on the marketplace. So how do I get that appp on the other devices.

I could go and register each en every device with DreamSpark. but is there a better way.

I guess this same question will apply to the microsoft surface table comming out later this year?

And secondly, since I've have not wrote an app myself yet. If I write an app for my phone which I only want to use on my phone, must I place it on the marketplace for everyone to get or is it a simple process once registered to just transfer the app to my phone? And I read the DreamSpark allows you to place a 100 apps on the marketplace. Will these apps I write for my own phone and only transfers to my own phone also count for that 100 or not?

Regards,

Last edited:

Stiv

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I haven't looked into DreamSpark but I assume what that is getting you is an AppHub membership?

The AppHub membership allows you to do 2 things.

1) Publish apps to the marketplace, and
2) Unlock up to 3 phones allowing you to install test apps on them. There’s a limit to the number of test apps you can have installed on a phone simultaneously (maybe 5 or 10?).

Option 2 does not sound practical for you. My suggestion would be publish the apps to the marketplace but keep them hidden. Hiding the app is an option during submission. While hidden no one will be able to find your app without a direct marketplace link. So you can give this link to only the people you want to have it. Unfortunately/Fortunately this does mean all your apps will need to pass certification but that shouldn’t be a too much of big deal.

Wobjoi

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Hi

Perhaps this has been asked before...

How can I write a app for use on my phone and a few of my friends phone or coleugues phones?

I've seen similar posts, mentioning DreamSpark for instance.

But, dreamspark would only allow me to write an app for my phone. What if I want the same app on my friends phone, but I don't want to put it on the marketplace for everyone.

Or, what if I write an app for the windows phone in our company to connect to the hardware we design. I don't want to place an app like that on the marketplace. So how do I get that appp on the other devices.

I could go and register each en every device with DreamSpark. but is there a better way.

I guess this same question will apply to the microsoft surface table comming out later this year?

And secondly, since I've have not wrote an app myself yet. If I write an app for my phone which I only want to use on my phone, must I place it on the marketplace for everyone to get or is it a simple process once registered to just transfer the app to my phone? And I read the DreamSpark allows you to place a 100 apps on the marketplace. Will these apps I write for my own phone and only transfers to my own phone also count for that 100 or not?

Regards,

To partly answer your question. You can deploy your apps to your own device (up to 3) for testing and of course use. You can have up to 10 apps deployed onto your device in this way.
As for deploying to friends, not sure what the best way to do this. I know with WP8 you will be able to set up some kind of a private market place, so for example develop a corporate app and deploy it to a private market place where only people with a WP handet from that organisation will have access to that app.

Will be great to kickstart the WP corporate side of things. Something like this might work for you in future, bu registering a private markept place and giving access to a slect few. Not sure how this will work just yet, but am sure we will find out more in the comming months ahead.

pacsmit

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Thank you Stiv & Wobjoi

I think Microsoft should be carefull when planning the next gen. Marketplace and not frighten developers away.

I’m all for this closed kind of development loop, it tries to prevent malware etc. from being distributed, but perhaps the user should have a choice on what he wants to install ons his device.

My big problem still with the “private marketplace model” when writing applications for internal use that our engineers will uses to configure and run diagnostics on our own hardware would be that I would not fel comfortable to have proprietary information go outside of the company. And secondly, the time it will take before the submitted app. Wil be available for the other devices to download it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thehinac