Cannot debug with Visual Studio 2012 Express (No Hyper-V)

arthurwalasek

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I am new to Visual Studio 2012 and Windows Phone development. I can successfully build (with Visual Studio) and deploy (with Application Deployment program) my application to a windows phone 8. However, I cannot debug, breakpoint, etc from within Visual Studio. There is no "Device" debug target (in fact my only target says "Start" - which doesn't work). I do not have capabilities on this machine to run the emulator (no SLAT), but I was under the impression that I should still be able to debug on the device.

What am I doing wrong.???

This is a basic Visual Studio 2012 Express for Windows 8 Phone development environment...

Please help :)

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I am new to Visual Studio 2012 and Windows Phone development. I can successfully build (with Visual Studio) and deploy (with Application Deployment program) my application to a windows phone 8. However, I cannot debug, breakpoint, etc from within Visual Studio. There is no "Device" debug target (in fact my only target says "Start" - which doesn't work). I do not have capabilities on this machine to run the emulator (no SLAT), but I was under the impression that I should still be able to debug on the device.

What am I doing wrong.???

This is a basic Visual Studio 2012 Express for Windows 8 Phone development environment...

Please help :)

Without the emulator, you are not able to debug unless you have a device.. Also, are you sure that you downloaded the correct package. https://dev.windowsphone.com/en-us/downloadsdk .. Double check maybe you have just VS 2012 Express and not the SDK + VS 2012 Express for Windows Phone

arthurwalasek

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I do have a device, Windows recognizes it, and I am able to deploy the app to the phone via the Application Deployment application. I have installed the correct version of the Visual Studio, it even gave me the warning while installing that it could not install the Emulator as my machine didn't support the requirements.

On another computer, one that has Emulator, on the debug target toolbar, there is an dropdown combo that shows (Device, Emulator ..., ...). On my computer, I do not even have that drop down, mine just shows (arrow) Start. The other PC shows (arrow) dropdown list.

I am wondering if deploying and debugging via Visual Studio is not supported unless you have an emulator or emulator capabilities. I have also made sure that I have that service running that is the USB Windows 8 Phone communication...

Catholic Tech Geek

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
What is the processor of the computer that you installed Visual Studio on? Your processor has to support Second Level Address Translation (SLAT) in order to run Hyper-V (SLAT is found in Intel core i3, i5, and i7 processors). If your processor is an AMD processor, SLAT is supported if the processor is a third generation Opteron processor or later. If you're sure you have that, check out How to enable Hyper-V for the Windows Phone Emulator for the procedure to get Hyper-V installed and configured.

If you installed Visual Studio on a computer with a Core 2 Duo processor, you are unfortunately s.o.l. (sold out of luck), as the Core 2 Duo does not have support for Second Level Address Translation. If this is the case, however, you can debug your programs on a WP8 device (with no problems), but not on the emulator.

arthurwalasek

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Your processor has to support Second Level Address Translation (SLAT) in order to run Hyper-V (SLAT is found in Intel core i3, i5, and i7 processors).
I know I can't run Hyper-V. I know I can't run the emulator. That is not what this question is about....
If this is the case, however, you can debug your programs on a WP8 device (with no problems), but not on the emulator.
Great... Tell me how to debug my program on a WP8 device with Visual Studio. I do not have the option to do that very thing (this is the point to the whole question). Yes, I do a have an Intel Core 2 Duo processor. No, I cannot run the emulator. Yes, I do have a Windows Phone 8 (attached). No, I cannot seem to find a way to debug using the device...

Pierre_Martin_7

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Similar issue here --- any help appreciated.
I just took the Visual Studio 2012 Update 3. I previously had all the debug target options (WP 7.1, ...) under the debug arrow. It reverted to just start, as described in this issue. Trying to figure out if the hook for launching the windows phone emulator moved somewhere else in the IDE, but can't figure it out. This is somewhat annoying...
Before applying VS 2012 Update 3 (an hour ago), I could launch the emulator fine and deploy to it, both actions triggered from the debugger arrow on a windows phone app project in VS 2012.
Project Target: Windows Phone 7.1
IDE: VS 2012 Update 3
Thx!

Piyush Raja

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member