[GUIDE] How to install WP8 SDK on Win8, or in a VM running Win8 in Win7

DBDev

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
This thread will describe how to install Windows Phone SDK on a pc running Windows 8 Pro (you need pro to be able to run the emulator), or if you have Windows 7, and don't want to upgrade, you can run it as a virtual machine running Windows 8 pro. If you have some questions, problems or if something is wrong in my guide, please reply to this thread and I'll try to help you :smile:

So, If you already have windows 8, go here, or if you want to install it on Windows 7, go here.

Last edited:

DBDev

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: How to install WP8 SDK on Win8, or in a VM running Win8 in Win7

In Win8

System requirements:

Windows 8 64-bit
6,5 GB free space
4GB RAM
64-bit CPU

To run the emulator you also need Win 8 Pro or greater and a processor that supports Second Level Address Translation (SLAT) (You can read more about SLAT and check if your processor supports it here)

Download and install the SDK:

Before you download and install the SDK, you should enable Hyper-V if your processor supports it and you have Win8 pro in order to be able to run the emulator. To do this you can follow this guide.

When you have enabled Hyper-V it's time to download and install the SDK. You download it here. First choose the SDK 8.0, and then follow the on-screen instructions. During the installation it will ask you for your Microsoft account. You can skip this step, but then you will only be able to use it for 30 days, after that you will have to login.

When you have finished the installation you will have to update it. To do this, open Visual Studio, then go to Tools > Extension Manager > Updates and install all updates. When you have done these updates you can download and install the SDK 8.0 Update for Windows Phone 8.0.10322 from the same page as you downloaded the SDK.

When you have installed all of these updates it is just to start coding! :cool:

Last edited:

DBDev

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: How to install WP8 SDK on Win8, or in a VM running Win8 in Win7

In win7

What you need:

64-bit windows
8GB RAM (I have done this with 4, but then it will re running VERY slow)
30GB free space
A copy of Windows 8 Pro or better. A disk or a file.

Checking if your computer supports Win8 and Hyper-V:

First you download Coreinfo. It is a program that can check if your computer supports Hyper-V. To run it you start the command prompt as a administrator by going to start and write cmd. then right click on command prompt and select Run as administrator. Then you should navigate to the folder where you downloaded Coreinfo to. If you don't know how to navigate using CMD, read this guide. When you are in the folder, write coreinfo.exe –v. Then you will get something like this:

Code:
C:\Tools>Coreinfo.exe -v

Coreinfo v3.1 - Dump information on system CPU and memory topology
Copyright (C) 2008-2012 Mark Russinovich
Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2620M CPU @ 2.70GHz
Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7, GenuineIntel
HYPERVISOR - Hypervisor is present
VMX * Supports Intel hardware-assisted virtualization
EPT * Supports Intel extended page tables (SLAT)

If your processor supports SLAT (The once marked with asterisk) you can continue this guide, but if not you will have to upgrade your CPU in order to do this.

Installing VMware Player:

If you already have VMware player or workstation you can skip this step. If you have VirtualBox you will have to do it though, because it won't work in that.

You first download and install VMware Player from here. It is free for non commercial use. Follow the on-screen instructions while installing it.

Creating the virtual machine:

To create a new virtual machine, open VMware and click Create a new virtual machine. This will take you to a guide to create a new machine. There will be a lot of options in this guide and I'll write about the most important once, but I will skip some off them. If you don't know what to choose, pick the recommended option, bing about it or ask in this thread.

When it asks you if you want a Typical or Custom setup, choose Custom.
When it asks you if you want to install a OS now, choose later.
When it asks about processor and RAM, give it about half of what you have on your PC, but I recommend not giving it less than one processor with two cores and not less than 3GB RAM, but you want to have at least 1GB less than you have on your PC.
When you come to the last page, it should give you the option to Customize Hardware. Click that and go to Processors and activate Virtualize Intel VT-x/EPT or ARM-V/RVI. You need this to be able to run the emulator.

When you have don all this you should close VMware and go to the folder where you placed your VM. In that folder you should se a file with the extension .vmx. Open that with notepad and add the line hypervisor.cpuid.v0 = ”FALSE". This is also to be able to run the emulator.

Installing Windows 8 in the VM:

Now we will install Windows 8 in the Virtual Machine we just created. To do this, start VMware again and click Edit virtual machine settings and go to CD/DVD. There you choose if you use a DVD or a ISO file to install Win8. If you have a DVD you should also insert the DVD now.

Then you run the virtual machine and install Windows 8 using the on screen instructions. When you have got Win8 running you should install VMware tools. You do this by clicking Install tools in the VMware menu on top of the screen. Then follow the on screen instructions.

When you have installed the tools you should enable Hyper-V. You do this by going to Control panel > Programs > Turn Windows features on or off and then select Hyper-V.

You are now ready to install the SDK. You can do this by following the guide above, but you can skip the enable Hyper-V step.

Last edited:

birgs

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Can i still upgrade my windows 7 Samsung netbook to windows 8 without those requirements that only performance can be affected?

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Great doc! One question. I tried editing the .vmx file with notepad, and when I add the line like you said (copy and.paste) and try to start the VM, it says I have a corrupt .vmx file. Take it out and boom, no complaints. Works just.fine.
I'm using 8.1 as the guest O/S.
Any suggestions? Thanks! .

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
duncekatie39