So I have an App idea...

bitwise

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Last night, I was toying with an app idea and I've basically figured out the design and the concept.

Only problem is, I have no experience with app development. Of course, I can always just study and do it on my own, but that will take a lot of time.

My question is what is the best way to go about this? How do you "sell" an app idea to a developer and a designer? And what will the ownership of the app be like?

Also, if there are developers out there who are interested to hear me out and looking for an app project, I am willing to collaborate. I am a software engineer myself, but I only deal with embedded systems programming.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've moved this thread to the Developers Corner forum, since developers should be able to answer your questions better than regular users.

Good luck. :smile:

bitwise

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I've moved this thread to the Developers Corner forum, since developers should be able to answer your questions better than regular users.

Good luck. :smile:

Hi. Thanks. I guess I was confused where to put it.

Is it complex enough where you feel it would be too expensive to outsource?

How do you rate the complexity of an app anyway?
But I think your question is what I am also seeking. I want to have an initial assessment from actual developers.

A bit of an update though: I realized that I actually have a friend who develops app for a living (for iOS though). I've already written down the basic specifics of my app idea and shared it with him. I am just waiting for his reply.
Actually I see the app to be cross-platform but I specifically mentioned to my friend that I want a simultaneous release for iOS and WP at least. :p

jbigelow

May 14, 2013
Visit site
How do you rate the complexity of an app anyway?
But I think your question is what I am also seeking. I want to have an initial assessment from actual developers.

You would have to tell us the concept of your app for us to gauge the complexity. If the app will consume an existing API it might be on the easier end of the spectrum, if you need to build your own data storage back end and API for the app to consume your scope gets bigger. And if you want to build a client to an existing 3rd party service that has no official API (think 6tag or Instance) then you probably have to build the front end, the back end, AND a proxy layer to shape and push your app's data to the official service.

bitwise

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
You would have to tell us the concept of your app for us to gauge the complexity. If the app will consume an existing API it might be on the easier end of the spectrum, if you need to build your own data storage back end and API for the app to consume your scope gets bigger. And if you want to build a client to an existing 3rd party service that has no official API (think 6tag or Instance) then you probably have to build the front end, the back end, AND a proxy layer to shape and push your app's data to the official service.

I am thinking for storage, the users can upload to their cloud of choice, the function of the app is to just stitch together those saved media into a sort of playlist. I am worried though about the smoothness of streaming directly from the cloud and all other restrictions and limitations.

Are you a developer? Do you have apps published in the store? :)

jbigelow

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I am thinking for storage, the users can upload to their cloud of choice, the function of the app is to just stitch together those saved media into a sort of playlist. I am worried though about the smoothness of streaming directly from the cloud and all other restrictions and limitations.

This sounds similar, I think, to cloudup (https://cloudup.com/)

Are you a developer? Do you have apps published in the store? :)

I am a developer, but mostly web, I'm working on my first native app.

bitwise

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
That is not the entire function of the app though. Its only a part of it.

I am just having a hard time on how to describe it. If I do it vague, it would look like a copy of another app, if I tell all the details, then I'm just putting it out there for free.

I am not being cocky though and thinking this is the next big thing. But it could be so I created this thread. What is the correct process in collaborating with an app developer?

jbigelow

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I would check out local startup meetups and mobile developer meetups. I know in Dallas, where I live, there are more than a few of each kind that can be found on meetup.com. Go and try and build a personal rapport with a developer(s), that will probably be the only way you will get the trust level needed to lay out your vision in detail. Good luck with your idea.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdgiHudi