Tutorial: How to get Windows Phone 8 Update 3 for free

TheZuneLune

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
If you don't feel like spending $19, head on over to App Studio and register.

Here's how it will work.

Visit the Windows Phone Preview for Developers web site (this will become live later today) and accept the terms and conditions. Then, download the Windows Phone Preview for Developers app, which installs from the Windows Phone Store directly onto your phone over the air. This app lets you opt-in new updates directly from your phone. Then, simply visit Phone Update in Settings and check for updates. Voila!

View attachment 46764

[warn]Warning: Microsoft notes that the version of Update 3 you download this way will only include Microsoft's code, and not the handset maker and carrier firmware, driver and other software updates that will be added to the public release. You need at least OS version 8.0.10322.71 to participate and you can only move forward with regards to updates: There's no going back. Furthermore, it's possible this update will void your wireless carrier warranty.[/warn]

Source: http://winsupersite.com/windows-phone/windows-phone-8-update-3-preview
More info: Get GDR3 today: Microsoft announces Windows Phone Preview for Developers | Windows Phone Central

Thanks for posting this. I ws way overcomplicating this, thinking I had to unlock my phone.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Out of curiosity, has anyone tried just dev unlocking their device and getting the preview app? Because according to this article:

"Starting today, any non-registered developer will be able to unlock one device and side load up to two applications without the need to register or pay a fee (e.g. the typical $99 Dev Center registration). Once again, the change is to help facilitate new developers or for those who cannot afford the advanced tools."

- Microsoft announces Windows Phone App Studio beta for new devs, loosens grip on unlocking phones | Windows Phone Central

And the article on installing it stated:

You must meet one of the following three requirements: (a) have an active Windows Phone Dev Center account; (b) have an active App Studio account; OR (c) be running a registered developer device (?dev unlocked? phone)

I wouldn't know, since im a registered rev, but its worth looking into.

ricbon

May 5, 2012
Visit site
i cant seem to make this work!? I registered at free dev studio got the email i opened it tapped on the link and get nothing. I downloaded the dev app onpened it tried to load in and says i am not registered but i thought it was. I have a att lumia920 but its not unlocked so is that my problem
EDIT NEVERMIND I SOLVED MY OWN ISSUE

Last edited:

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
i cant seem to make this work!? I registered at free dev studio got the email i opened it tapped on the link and get nothing. I downloaded the dev app onpened it tried to load in and says i am not registered but i thought it was. I have a att lumia920 but its not unlocked so is that my problem
I believe you dont need 'Dev App', but you need 'Preview for Developers' app.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes