Do programmers even NEED a degree?

birgs

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
I want learn programming, i started reading writing code samples at internet and getting idea of programming in touchdevelop but i dont have any degree or IT training. I really like programming that's why i bought to laptops windows 8 and i think i don't give up until i can be able to program even in just simply app on my own. I wonder if it is possible to me to be a programmer? I'm 17 years old.

Last edited:

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I want learn programming, i started reading writing code samples at internet and getting idea of programming in touchdevelop but i dont have any degree or IT training. I really like programming that's why i bought to laptops windows 8 and i think i don't give up until i can be able to program even in just simply app on my own. I wonder if it is possible to me to be a programmer?
It really depends on what you mean by "be[ing] a programmer." If you're just writing apps on your own, then of course you don't need a degree for that.

But if you're looking to get a full time programming job at an established company, you have to have either a degree or some samples of good quality programming work that you've done that you can show to an employer. Ideally you have both, but if your past work is good enough then you should be able to find a job without a degree.

birgs

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
I want to make many programs on my own and publish these to store in my own, make my own life to live without working at any company. thanks a lot for your advice. May God bless you all.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Certainly you can be a programmer. It doesn't take a university degree to write code.
A university course will give you a background and a good understanding of the whole system. It is very helpful to understand the theory, for example, how an operating system works, how your code will be run on a processor, general architecture of a computer, the theory behind programming, etc... although unfortunately a lot of courses don't seem to cover all those things. But you will pick up a lot as you go along, especially if you have an inquisitive mind.
Are you interested in becoming a professional developer, or just for your own interest? If you want to do it professionally, I would recommend studying and getting some sort of qualification. If not, just have fun!

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I want to make many programs on my own and publish these to store in my own, make my own life to live without working at any company. thanks a lot for your advice. May God bless you all.

If you want to make apps, go ahead. If you want to be a software engineer, study.

Adam Loh

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi there,If u want to have a full time job as a programmers, get a degree first.
Always remember if you aspire to be a good programmer, always remember not to give up, keep on learning and sharing ur knowledge.

Hope it helps!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon