Windows Store App Icon looks corrupted, how to get a good icon?

Crispin Parker

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

My game is happily released to the Windows Phone store, but I've got an issue with the app icon.

I created my 300 x 300 PNG icon in paint.net and is looks fine on my PC (see below). But, the the scaled down icon in the App Store looks rubbish. Blurred, distorted and generally unappealing.

Here's the icon:

Infection_Icon_WP.png

I see loads of real good looking icons in the store. Does anyone know some good tips to stop the icon distorting when scaled in the store?

Here's what it looks like in the store:

ScreenShot_Infection_AppStore.jpg

Many thanks,

Crispin.

Attachments

• ScreenShot_Infection_AppStore.jpg
    ScreenShot_Infection_AppStore.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 5

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Is there no option for apps/games to have multiple icon sizes when you compile?? ie if it finds a smaller size icon it will use that instead of scaling the larger one down.

Crispin Parker

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
Is there no option for apps/games to have multiple icon sizes when you compile?? ie if it finds a smaller size icon it will use that instead of scaling the larger one down.

Ah-ha! Does the app store icon come from the XAP file? I thought it came from the one you upload during the publication process.

I could try submitting a new version that includes a better small icon...

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
That I couldn't say as I've not tried it - I just know Linux apps have different size icons in their source so it looks normal no matter what. I'm guessing a similar thing would apply with compiling XAP files.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett