Bad ESN = Good dev device?

bahamut443

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Currently using a Verizon Lumia 928 and getting sick of using my personal phone for dev use. I noticed I can currently buy an AT&T Lumia 520 with a bad ESN for around $20. I understand that bad ESN devices are either stolen or linked to accounts that have large unpaid balances. However, do carriers lock out any other features on Windows Phone devices besides reactivation? I'd need the new device to utilize WiFi, USB, and link to my Microsoft account. Has anyone else gone down this road before? Thanks in advance for your advice.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
In the case of stolen handsets they blacklist the IMEI from connecting to their network, and it's added to a national database so if someone tries to sell it on (and the buyer does his research) or recycle it, it will be flagged up as stolen. That's how it works in the UK at least.

And if you're going to go down this road bear in mind there is the potential that you could face criminal charges for handling stolen goods.

Visual Studio does offer an emulation system for test purposes. Comes with it. However if you're planning on testing on bare metal (ie a physical device) I would strongly recommend getting a proper second hand one (ie that isn't 'hot' or affected in any other negative ways).

bahamut443

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Great! Thanks for the info! Anyone have a throwaway 520/521 they'd be willing to donate or sell for cheap? Not sure I feel comfortable holding on to potentially stolen property. Really want to get into testing on the lowest end and most popular Windows Phone. I'm most concerned about app scaling and 512MB compatibility.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire