Why do games cost more then other platforms?

dawrath

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Let me state that I LOVE WP7 so far. Had my phone less then a week but games I would get free for my daughter/myself cost 2.99+ on WP7. They were both free on my last 2 phones. Iphone 3GS and Samsung Captivate.

Example Angry Birds, have not even searched for the physics games I normally play on it. I bought my first app this week (freetalk 2.99) and was glad to only pay 2.99 since no native good voice support yet. The 2.99 is cheaper then $20 a month to greedy ATT. Is this MS just wanting money or?

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Most of the XBox Live games (Angry Birds is one) Microsoft consider to be a premium game Dawrath, because they award achievements that add Gamerscore to XBox Live gamers profiles.

I know a lot of users don't care a jot about achievements but lots do.

XBox Live games are always more expensive than the non XBox Live enabled ones.

Just the way it is I guess Dawrath. :(

There's usually a 'Deal of The Week' where an XBox Live enabled game is reduced in price.

(Implode is this weeks DOTW)

Last edited:

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
hey ,

next time PLEASE use the search option , this has been addressed many times!!!

the main reason for XBL games costing more ( like ported games from Iphone/android to WP ) is because of the additional Bragging rights we get VIA XBL achievements.

i under stand for some people that Achievements are not worth the extra 2-5$ but sadly that's what sets us apart in terms of price.

an other reason might be the extra integration we have between WP and Xbox ( witch again relates to achievements on most parts )

EDIT: DARN IT!! TheWeebear you beet me to iT!! lol ;)

mhans311

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I am one of those who couldn't care less about Xbox live. It would be nice to have a cheaper option that doesn't connect with Xbox live.

Sent from my Trophy using Board Express

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes I agree mhans311, it would be nice to have non achievement versions at a cheaper price.

You would think it would easy to impliment but Microsoft probably don't want to duplicate everything in the Marketplace.

Perhaps a single game could be made to unlock achievements at the higher price only.

I have no idea how achievements are built into games.

Last edited:

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
thank fully most of the BEST wp games are NOT XBL games lol. so you can pay cheap for good game.... untill they switch to a XBL title and jump up 3$ in price . lol

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I was in this same boat at first. My friend had Plants vs. Zombies that he had gotten for like .99, so I went to get it on my phone and it was like $3. At first I felt cheated, but Thanks to achievements I was enjoying the game, trying to accomplish them, long after my friend had beaten the Android version. I have had this same experience in other games too, after I have "beaten" them and would otherwise get bored playing them, the achievements give me additional, enjoyable playing time.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Because we will pay for it, in enough numbers. On iOS, there are probably 1k+ other games for every one game made. On android, it is insanely easy to procure... "backups," (is that what they are called, now?) of apk and sideload them. Hard to explain in short, just different mindset in other platforms, so ultimately, different pricing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Ads too. Blackberry Playbook users have the same complaints you guys have. Angry Birds and PvZ are all like $5. Sure, its sounds like a lot when you compare to .99 and 1.99 games with ads, but considering how much PC games cost, I don't mind paying $5 for a quality game. :). Just be a little more diligent with your purchases so you don't buy a game only to not play it after a week. We can't expect developers to give their work away. ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077