Media (Local) Media Streaming Questions about XBOX ONE

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I've been eying the XBOX ONE but haven't made the move yet because I've not had a big reason to. I am not much of a game player and we don't really watch TV (don't have cable or satellite) so won't use much of the live TV features.

I am heavy into Windows Media Center extender to stream our local content (music, videos, ripped movies.) The built in video/picture/music players on the XBOX 360 quit working around the time of the new dashboard and Windows 8. It would show my folders with my media content but when I got to the bottom of the directory where the files would be, it would always say nothing to play. So I stuck with Windows Media Center.

On XBOX ONE, how does it work with streaming your pictures/music? We absolutely love to play our local music (in Media Center) that plays our pictures in a slideshow. How does this work on XBOX ONE with no Windows Media Center?

Thanks.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Well, I am perfectly fine with my XBOX 360 but support wise, it only has about 3 years left. And I don't want to lose my streaming functionality. I believe they are still trying to phase out Media Center but I love it.

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I hope MS adds local media support soon. I really prefer to watch certain movies in full resolution, which means I prefer to download them to local storage. I have my PC hooked up to my TV, and I use the PC to watch HBO Go currently, since there is no HBO Go app on the Xbox One. I will also use the PC to watch movies I download via Amazon Unbox to get better resolution than streaming. So my Xbox One is not the one device to rule my living room, because I have to use my PC to do simple things I used to do with my Xbox 360. Once again, MS is going backwards, removing features rather than adding them.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I hope MS adds local media support soon. I really prefer to watch certain movies in full resolution, which means I prefer to download them to local storage. I have my PC hooked up to my TV, and I use the PC to watch HBO Go currently, since there is no HBO Go app on the Xbox One. I will also use the PC to watch movies I download via Amazon Unbox to get better resolution than streaming. So my Xbox One is not the one device to rule my living room, because I have to use my PC to do simple things I used to do with my Xbox 360. Once again, MS is going backwards, removing features rather than adding them.

So what your saying it has NO local media support AT ALL? Period? Are you serious?

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
You can PlayTo from WMP or through Windows 8. I personally can't get anything to find the X1 in the local network through, but dunno what else to try anymore :p

EDIT: Omg, now it suddenly appeared when I streamed some vids off of my WP8.

And also to add, it works with just about any DLNA/play to client. The "problem" with this is mainly the fact that you can't initiate connection from X1, but you must "send" the stuff from some device TO the X1. So you can't access the files like you could on 360, not yet at least.

Last edited:

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
You can PlayTo from WMP or through Windows 8. I personally can't get anything to find the X1 in the local network through, but dunno what else to try anymore :p

And also to add, it works with just about any DLNA/play to client. The "problem" with this is mainly the fact that you can't initiate connection from X1, but you must "send" the stuff from some device TO the X1. So you can't access the files like you could on 360, not yet at least.

I am glad to know this. I almost sold my 360 to get a X1. I can live without Windows Media Center (though I do like it a lot) if the build in local media players were good (especially listing to local music with picture slideshows.) Guess they have some work to do.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I am glad to know this. I almost sold my 360 to get a X1. I can live without Windows Media Center (though I do like it a lot) if the build in local media players were good (especially listing to local music with picture slideshows.) Guess they have some work to do.

They do, definitely. This is why some people don't always buy the new products right when they come out, as sometimes, they have issues and things missing.

Sent NOT from my iPad using Tapatalk

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
They do, definitely. This is why some people don't always buy the new products right when they come out, as sometimes, they have issues and things missing.

I've slowed down a lot in my quest to have the latest and greatest (though I simply had to have the Surface Pro 2 due to the better battery life and do not regret it.) When I saw the media capabilities of the X1 during the announcement, I was stoked. But my wife was very wary of the "always on" Kinect sensor and at the moment, I didn't see a compelling reasons to upgrade. If you look back the 360 took a good while to mature to what it is now and for now, it works for me.

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Let me see if I understand this correctly. I can download a movie, for example, and have my PC or Surface play that local copy to my Xbox One. Does the Xbox One play it directly from the local copy? Does the Xbox One stream it through the PC or Surface?

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Does the Xbox One play it directly from the local copy? Does the Xbox One stream it through the PC or Surface?

Ideally the best way to do it is to have a media server (like an external HDD attached to your router's USB port) but it will work with files that are on your PC. If you load up Windows media Player and enable the "play to" feature ( you msut also enable it on your xbone). It will stream the file from your computer (or media server) to your xbone. You can also play video files from your phone using the "play to" app. You can also do this with youtube. If you "pair" your device with your xbox you can find videos on your phone/computer and instantly play them on your xbox without touching the controller or saying anything.

Personally i like this better then finding the file on your computer/media server via the xbox's "file explorer". I would like to have both options ideally.

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Let me see if I understand this correctly. I can download a movie, for example, and have my PC or Surface play that local copy to my Xbox One. Does the Xbox One play it directly from the local copy? Does the Xbox One stream it through the PC or Surface?

I think if it's already an internet video it downloads/streams on its own, but if it is contained on the computer it displays it from there, Miracast style.

Also, have smartglass on if you're playing videos from a windows 8 PC. Sometimes there's some extra content hidden in there.

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. This helps a lot. I tried it out, and I can now play videos I download to my PC from the Xbox Video app in Windows 8.1 to my Xbox One. The one thing I cannot do is play videos I download to my PC using Amazon Unbox. It says it can only do that from an app, and Amazon has not provided an Amazon Unbox Player app for Windows 8 as far as I know.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for all of this info. I think I am going to continue to hold off on the XBOX One until it has a little better local media streaming. Sure, I can PLAY TO but it isn't all that fun to use. Yes, I still like Windows Media Center. :)

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Speaking of streaming from the phone to youtube, what WP 3rd party youtube apps, if any, can start a youtube video, then project that to the youtube app on the X1? I haven't found a solution yet, but it's disheartening that my wife's iPhone 4S can do this but my Lumia cannot : / Go figure....

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Anyone know if Microsoft will add DTS support to mkv support on xbox one? I hate that half of my media can't be played because of that one codec... On the bright side, half my media does play haha

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes