I still need a new Rainbow Six game!

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Ooh, gief links!

Although the franchise hasnt really been the same after the first game an Rogue Spear, I miss that kind of stuff..

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I thought it looked cool. But I can't tell if it looked cool because of how it played or because how those 'acting' like they were playing were so coordinated, calm, and helpful towards one another... the same with The Division (I think someone even mentioned somewhere that the 'players' voices were pretty similar in both demos).

Either way - I want to play with those people all the time... Thankfully I have a few friends that I can do that with in co-op games.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I actually hated the people from The Division. They seemed more guided than coordinated, and it made the gameplay suffer. They were too slow with stuff, wasting time just looking around and pretending to be surprised. Like, when the girl in there is yelling things like "this guy's tough," and "do something," I'm just like..."why aren't YOU doing anything?" The presentation is obviously supposed to show the benefits of coordination, but they did it in a terrible way. It was too canned and structured.

Rainbow Six had a similar feel, to me. The timer on the game made them move faster, which helped, but their coordination seemed forced, and too atypical to judge the game by it. I'd have rather seen them grab a few random interns or Watch Dog devs or something, and given them the controls and nothing else. Don't give them a chance to coordinate or see it beforehand, and let us see what some everyman experience will be like.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Yesterday ubisoft presented rainbow six siege isn't that sought?

Yes - he mentioned that in his second post ;)

I listened to the DLC podcast live last night after the Sony press conference and a few mentioned how these demos and guided stuff that they show are so very unrealistic to how people actually play the games. Like there was more walking and looking around in the ACU demo than anyone does actually playing the game. I get why they do that - they want us to see everything and make sure we notice the little things - but I don't think anyone actually plays games that way - at least that deliberately slow and methodical. Unless the game strictly requires it.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
IDK what they were talking about, but I don't think there was ANY talking in the Microsoft demo for Unity. Maybe Ubisoft had a different one? In the Microsoft demo, they were going crazy climbing walls and slicing throats, and it was great.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Nah, not the talking in ACU (because you're right - there wasn't any) but the actual 'walking and looking around' portions. It was slow and methodical as they approached things - which is more apt for an AC game, but even still - the way devs showcase games for us in guided tours is vastly different to how people actually play games.

No one wants to see someone constantly click and check every trashcan in eye sight (as I do with all Bioshock games...). It's just interesting that the guided tours do a great job of showcasing a game by playing it in a way that 95% of gamers won't...

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I thought it looked cool. But I can't tell if it looked cool because of how it played or because how those 'acting' like they were playing were so coordinated, calm, and helpful towards one another... the same with The Division (I think someone even mentioned somewhere that the 'players' voices were pretty similar in both demos).

Either way - I want to play with those people all the time... Thankfully I have a few friends that I can do that with in co-op games.

I know what you mean!

In all honesty, in most FPS style games I'm horrible on my own. However, I do work well in a team. When I'm playing with friends that actually have a plan it's so freaking fun.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I actually hated the people from The Division. They seemed more guided than coordinated, and it made the gameplay suffer. They were too slow with stuff, wasting time just looking around and pretending to be surprised. Like, when the girl in there is yelling things like "this guy's tough," and "do something," I'm just like..."why aren't YOU doing anything?" The presentation is obviously supposed to show the benefits of coordination, but they did it in a terrible way. It was too canned and structured.

Rainbow Six had a similar feel, to me. The timer on the game made them move faster, which helped, but their coordination seemed forced, and too atypical to judge the game by it. I'd have rather seen them grab a few random interns or Watch Dog devs or something, and given them the controls and nothing else. Don't give them a chance to coordinate or see it beforehand, and let us see what some everyman experience will be like.

If it's anything like classic Rainbow Six games, there is a pre-mission where you are given intel and a map and you actually do spend time coordinating before you start the game. You create a plan and then everyone has to execute it.

The demo they showed didn't look like it was quite at the R63 level of planning, but maybe that was because it was a multiplayer match. But there did appear to be a short planning phase.

I hope there is a single player element with full planning.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
If it's anything like classic Rainbow Six games, there is a pre-mission where you are given intel and a map and you actually do spend time coordinating before you start the game. You create a plan and then everyone has to execute it.

Rainbow Six 3 Raven Shield Mission 3 Planning PC walkthrough How will Rainbow Six Patriots compare? - YouTube

I doubt it will be anything like that. Raven Shield was pretty much the last Rainbow Six that was true to the original in this sense. The franchise has gone to **** since.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I doubt it will be anything like that. Raven Shield was pretty much the last Rainbow Six that was true to the original in this sense. The franchise has gone to **** since.

I'll keep my fingers crossed!

As a side note... my old boss was the Director of Design for R63. I think that was his most proud gaming accomplishment.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

This times 10.

The way that they played it made me not want them nearly as much. Like in Rainbow 6, are you really telling me that 4 people are really going to sit outside of a door while someone slowly drives a drone around? Or that the two bad guys will just look at the door? Yeah, that's never going to happen.

Or how in the division, the girl was just like "whoa, look at the history of this place". Yeah, that'll never happen. The players were acting like they were actually in the game, which people don't do. Most people work talk to each other to plan an objective not "yep, home sweet home" stuff.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
This times 10.

The way that they played it made me not want them nearly as much. Like in Rainbow 6, are you really telling me that 4 people are really going to sit outside of a door while someone slowly drives a drone around? Or that the two bad guys will just look at the door? Yeah, that's never going to happen.

Or how in the division, the girl was just like "whoa, look at the history of this place". Yeah, that'll never happen. The players were acting like they were actually in the game, which people don't do. Most people work talk to each other to plan an objective not "yep, home sweet home" stuff.

You are partially right, but also wrong. I've been in this gaming community for years now, if I had to nutshell the entire community into one word/value, it would be "teamwork". We arn't some superduper e-sports group or anything though, what matters is that people want to play as a team. Sure, in a random group/pug that stuff wouldn't happen, but it would easily happen. Well, perhaps staring at the door wouldn't happen, but I think it's a legit "pressure" on the bad guys there. If you go anywhere visible, you'll get sniped and I guess it's not a stupid idea to try the cover the most likely entrance? :p

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
You are partially right, but also wrong. I've been in this gaming community for years now, if I had to nutshell the entire community into one word/value, it would be "teamwork". We arn't some superduper e-sports group or anything though, what matters is that people want to play as a team. Sure, in a random group/pug that stuff wouldn't happen, but it would easily happen. Well, perhaps staring at the door wouldn't happen, but I think it's a legit "pressure" on the bad guys there. If you go anywhere visible, you'll get sniped and I guess it's not a stupid idea to try the cover the most likely entrance? :p

I mean, I get that people like to be part of a team, and we may just be playing different games, but never in my many years of multiplayer gaming has someone just stopped and enjoyed the scenery like they did in the Division.

Also, in R6, the guy was about to kill the sniper, so he would've given his team a warning of "it's clear, you guys" And they were in the basement, so I don't think they were worried about a sniper. Again, just none of it seemed like a scenario that would ever happen, which took me right out of the game, which i didn't like :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte