Xbox One vs. PS4

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Yea Microsoft is starting to show a trend of making current products already out better and better every month with new software updates & features

The Xbox One seems to get better and better every month

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Does the Xbox one support 4k gaming? Even somewhat slim Pc's can do it smoothly, I don't see why a giant chunky box can't lol

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft owned Sony at E3 this year (and last year too, for that matter), but all you see online is Sony fanboys claiming otherwise (who, I'm guessing, didn't even watch the Microsoft conference, otherwise, I feel like I'm living in the Twilight Zone where everyone else is crazy).

It's like Sony invested more money in paying shills online than in actually having a decent E3. I've been following E3 for decades. Never missed a single one. And this was one of the weakest conferences I've ever seen. It was essentially them having nothing substantial coming soon so they slurped up the sloppy seconds from Xbox that is Call of Duty, finally showed footage of a game they announced a fricken decade ago, showed off one new IP that isn't coming any time soon, showed off a remake of a 20-year-old non-exclusive game, and provided a link to a Kickstarter game that has never been on a Playstation console and is more associated with Xbox.

Meanwhile, Microsoft demoed a ton of AAA exclusives that are coming THIS YEAR of huge franchises (Halo 5, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Forza Motorsport 6, Fable Legends, Gigantic), announced brand new IP (Sea of Thieves, ReCore), announced excellently priced value games (Gears of War Ultimate, Rare Replay), announced a new controller, backwards compatibility, modding, early access, free games (Fallout 3 with Fallout 4, EA Access unlimited for a week), new partnerships (VR stuff), and then revealed one of the most impressive demos any of us have ever seen, ever, in the HoloLens Minecraft. Seriously. Microsoft showed us holographic gaming--HOLOGRAPHIC GAMING!

But, hey, let's completely ignore all that and extol Sony for the weakest showing in years, highlighted by a game that won't come out for 2.5 more years (which now seems like nothing compared to the decade-long wait of the Last Guardians--but I guess they're just trying to live up to the Greatness aWaits slogan...).

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
IIRC there are plans for a 4k ready XB1 circa Xmas... The current crop of consoles (PS4 inc.) do not support native 4k (wrong HDMI ports).

I agree E3 was good for MS this year, finally bring exciting rather than playing it safe like in the past.

Jimmy Jangle

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
Current consoles are HDMI 1.4, rumour of HDMI 2.0 consoles being worked to support 4k tvs better.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/hdmi-2-0-vs-1-4

Can't find the original piece relating to a new updated set of consoles annoyingly.
Don't bother, no credible source.
From hdmi.org:

"The HDMI 1.4 specification adds support for extremely high video resolutions that go far beyond today?s 1080p systems. 4K is shorthand for 4,000 lines wide by 2,000 lines high, or roughly four times the resolution of a 1080p display. The term actually covers two formats, both supported in the HDMI 1.4 specification:
?3840 pixels wide by 2160 pixels high
?4096 pixels wide by 2160 pixels high"

So, tl;dr: Both consoles support 4k output, but it depends on what it's outputting..

Saburwulf

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
Dude are you delusional DX12 is a microsoft api this has nothing to do with sony does with its console but microsoft controls where it goes.

rafal soboczynski

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
i didn't read the article you provided but from what I remember hdmi1.4 can support 4k but only at 24hz. Hdmi 2.0 goes to 60hz anything above you need display port. Anyway I think this would only be used to output 4k movies and not games (doubt xbone or ps4 can handle 4k gaming)
Also of topic but i've got my Xbone yesterday and couldn't be happier with it. could anyone recomend good games with really strong storyline I'm talking ones like alan wake, witcher or last of us (never played this game but this was single title which made me hesitate between xbone and ps4)

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
i didn't read the article you provided but from what I remember hdmi1.4 can support 4k but only at 24hz. Hdmi 2.0 goes to 60hz anything above you need display port. Anyway I think this would only be used to output 4k movies and not games (doubt xbone or ps4 can handle 4k gaming)
Also of topic but i've got my Xbone yesterday and couldn't be happier with it. could anyone recomend good games with really strong storyline I'm talking ones like alan wake, witcher or last of us (never played this game but this was single title which made me hesitate between xbone and ps4)

Dying Light is the best story I've played on my Xbox One thus far. "Strong storyline" is also a hard thing to interpret. Sunset Overdrive has really interesting characters, but the main story is kind of a cheap, silly thing that's not a big deal. Halo 5 has a decent general story, but its intricacies (characters, main antagonist, length) are pretty bad. Watch_Dogs is OK, not great. People have said really good things about Wolfenstein: The New Order and Metro: Redux. The Witcher 3 also got high marks.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I liked Ryse:Son of Rome. It was a release title so you should be able to get it on the cheap now, too.
Have you had a 360/PS3? The Talltale series of episodic games are good, if you haven't experienced them already.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I liked Ryse:Son of Rome. It was a release title so you should be able to get it on the cheap now, too.

Have you had a 360/PS3? The Talltale series of episodic games are good, if you haven't experienced them already.

For the record, Ryse is $15 at Toys R Us this week, it's the Legendary Edition with all of the DLC.

rafal soboczynski

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Dying Light is the best story I've played on my Xbox One thus far. "Strong storyline" is also a hard thing to interpret. Sunset Overdrive has really interesting characters, but the main story is kind of a cheap, silly thing that's not a big deal. Halo 5 has a decent general story, but its intricacies (characters, main antagonist, length) are pretty bad. Watch_Dogs is OK, not great. People have said really good things about Wolfenstein: The New Order and Metro: Redux. The Witcher 3 also got high marks.

I've watched some dying light footage and it looks pretty good, sunset overdrive is not my cup of tea. although I like concept of watchdogs i've seen so many stupid glitches which just ruin the game for me. Although I have x 360 I never played Halo or gears of war before. Started Gears but I'm just not sure about the game mechanics story seems just ok. Metro you mentioned looks pretty good, I don't play huge amount of FPS but I do like it sometimes. Also nearly forgot assassings creed is one of the series I like, also might take a plunge and get fable (I quite like RPGs). Also I've just got my Fallout 4 today would people recommend playing trough 3 first or jump into 4 straight away???

rafal soboczynski

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Ryse is one of the games i was considering but wasn't sure about storyline, but for ?15 i might just get it now. Yea I had xbox 360 although I never played it much for some reason. Also I did hear great things about telltale games especially walking dead and game of thrones series (plus i'm huge fan of waking dead and song of Ice and Fire) :)

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I've watched some dying light footage and it looks pretty good, sunset overdrive is not my cup of tea. although I like concept of watchdogs i've seen so many stupid glitches which just ruin the game for me. Although I have x 360 I never played Halo or gears of war before. Started Gears but I'm just not sure about the game mechanics story seems just ok. Metro you mentioned looks pretty good, I don't play huge amount of FPS but I do like it sometimes. Also nearly forgot assassings creed is one of the series I like, also might take a plunge and get fable (I quite like RPGs). Also I've just got my Fallout 4 today would people recommend playing trough 3 first or jump into 4 straight away???

The Fallout games have no link to each other, really. Also, the first two are PC-only and VERY different experiences. Oh, and Fallout 4 is the 5th or 6th game. Fallout 3, New Vegas, and 4 are similar games, but the rest are quite different. Those 3 are all separate stories with no real connection beyond the generic concept of setting, so you'll be fine without touching the others.

Assassin's Creed, might as well wait for the rumored bundling of the old games. I really liked the first game, but the second bored me incredibly, then I heard how they totally butchered the story starting with AC3, and I didn't bother going beyond AC2. If you like that series, you might look into Dishonored: Definitive Edition, as it's sort-of like a first-person Assassin's Creed. It allows for a good deal of choice and freedom in aggression, stealth, and physical vs. magic interactions with enemies. I know someone who really likes the AC series, and she considers Dishonored one of her favorites ever.

Watch_Dogs, I don't follow. I don't remember running into bugs. Not sure why people warn of that. It's a very cheaply purchased game now, I imagine. It's sort of like GTA, but with a smaller scope and a better story. I can't stand GTA, but I liked Watch_Dogs pretty well.

Halo, you get a decent story from The Master Chief Collection. Stick to playing the campaigns if you buy it, unless you enjoy the headache of slow, buggy multiplayer. Gears has an OK campaign, but the third game's story is pretty annoying. The first is definitely my favorite in that series, the second's fine, and the third is something of a joke, at least with the character Dom. I can't stand him in the third game.

Dying Light, I can't recommend enough. Movement, combat, story, it's all well-done. They're about to release it with the DLC in February, and it sounds like that DLC is a MASSIVE story addition. I'm considering getting it, but $60 to buy a game I half-finished a year ago is tough.

Ryse is one of the games i was considering but wasn't sure about storyline, but for ?15 i might just get it now. Yea I had xbox 360 although I never played it much for some reason. Also I did hear great things about telltale games especially walking dead and game of thrones series (plus i'm huge fan of waking dead and song of Ice and Fire) :)

Ryse is so old, you might as well hold out for a GWG release. It's also $15 with DLC at Toys R Us in the States this week, to give an idea of its value. It shouldn't be long before it's free.

Telltale's hard to recommend or not. I don't like their non-game style of games, where you really just get aimless walking, a few quick-time events, and some dialogue. That, and I don't like the subjects of their games--The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones and Borderlands are all negatives, but that's in my book.

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Xbox One is not a bad concept (in theory).
The controls are good and it is fairly silent.

BUT, Kinect is a sad joke that will force a lot of users to change language AND localization just to be able to use the "supported" hardware.

Kinect IS according to Microsofts homepage supported in Sweden but they fail to inform you that the language has to be changed to Enlish AND the localisation to US (why Microsoft, why?). This will lead to a f..d up Xbox Store, Xbox Live Gold and some apps refusing to work (Netflix, Viaplay etc).

Selling this "centre of the living room" without a proper app for Music (no background Music, we had that on the original and the 360) and no Spotify is not OK!

Appart from "playing games" (where the Xbox One is not as good as the PS4) it is less "centre of the living room" than the 360 was. How come?

Another Zune/RT/WP?

Last edited:

Mathias Darioly

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas and Fallout 4 are 3 great games that are really nice to play if you like the idea. I feel they are a very nice change from the "dungeons and dragons" or "lord of ring" rpg styles.
As said by Keith, they are not linked to each other, but they feel similar as the universe is the same and the "basic idea" is the same, you survived in a vault...
That's also the beauty of it for me, like saying the same story from different points in time and positions.
But nothing is wrong if you start by the 4 and then do the 3. ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786