12-29-2013 02:24 AM
83 1234
tools
    Got my Tap 11 set up last night to use Miracast to extend my desktop with audio and video to my big screen TV. It's a pretty awesome set up with the wireless keyboard cover and my bluetooth mouse. The Netgear PTV3000 works pretty well although I did do a firmware update on it first. I really like that it's USB powered by my TV so no need for extra cables.

I had it at work yesterday as my secondary device for OneNote, email, light casual browsing etc and with the PowerSaver scheme on I was able to get through the entire day with a few minutes to space which is exactly what i need it to do. Not great by any definition but serviceable.

Still very pleased with this purchase.

@drachen23
    thanks for the heads up on potentially using Macbook Air cases with the Sony Tap 11.
    11-15-2013 07:50 AM
    Tap 11 Performance (Amazing/Acceptable/Lagging)?
    @drachen23 @houkoholic @thejoyofsobe and anyone else with a Tap 11
    Can you tell me how your Tap 11 is performing (Amazing/Acceptable/Lagging) with [Light/Medium/High] demanding programs?

I suggest:
    Light: Word processing/Web Browsing, etc.
    Medium: Hulu/Netflix/Youtube, etc
    High: Photoshop, design/rendering programs, GIS, etc

Please note what processor you have [Pentium/i3/i5/i7].
    If you were to return and repurchase, would you get a Tap 11 with a different processor?

Thank you for your previous answers.
    Last edited by islanderhash; 11-15-2013 at 02:54 PM.
    11-15-2013 02:30 PM
    In terms of performance on my i5 I find that:
    Light usage such as browsing and word processing is more than adequate
    Medium usage: playing back 1080p content, off my NAS, is perfectly fine too. Even 10bit h264 which has no GPU acceleration and relies on CPU grunt is fine.
    Heavy: don't really do heavy usage so can't comment

I also got myself the Netgear Push2TV adapter and it's a bit of a mixed bag - while most things works sadly I think there just isn't enough bandwidth to stream 1080p content over WiDi so I'll go back to using the trusty HDMI cable (got my micro HDMI adapter too). If you want to enable this remember run the Intel WiDi Update Tool first if you are on W8.1 as it would run a bunch of test and updates to get the necessary drivers for WiDi to function.
    11-16-2013 06:45 AM
    I also got myself the Netgear Push2TV adapter and it's a bit of a mixed bag - while most things works sadly I think there just isn't enough bandwidth to stream 1080p content over WiDi so I'll go back to using the trusty HDMI cable (got my micro HDMI adapter too). If you want to enable this remember run the Intel WiDi Update Tool first if you are on W8.1 as it would run a bunch of test and updates to get the necessary drivers for WiDi to function.
    Are you using the Intel WiDi app or the Charms Bar > Devices > Project > Add a wireless display

I ask because I'm not having any issues with this method extending my desktop to the receiver 10-12 feet away and have never even opened the Intel WiDi app/update tool.
    11-16-2013 09:49 AM
    Are you using the Intel WiDi app or the Charms Bar > Devices > Project > Add a wireless display

I ask because I'm not having any issues with this method extending my desktop to the receiver 10-12 feet away and have never even opened the Intel WiDi app/update tool.
    The Intel WiDi app when ran under Windows 8.1 will throw a compatibility error (which you can still force it to run), and when it does the app will complain that the device is not supported (which is a lie, as we know the Tap 11 has all the bits to run WiDi - Gen 4 Intel CPU with Intel GPU as well as Intel WiFI adapter). If you choose to not force the app to run and instead follow the help screen Windows will bring up the Intel page where you can download the WiDi update tool, when you run it it will automatically pull down all the latest Intel drivers (since the graphic driver is Sony optimized it prevents the installation of generic Intel ones, but it will pull down the WiFi drivers), and - surprisingly - *removes* the WiDi app. I think this is because 8.1 has WiDi built in and the old app (which was really released for Win7) don't play well with each other and actually needed to be removed to function properly.
    11-16-2013 10:14 AM
    Its a pleasant surprise that the dimensions of the Vaio Tap 11 are similar to Macbook Air 11". I haven't seen the Tap 11 in person but from the videos i had the impression that the bezels were bigger than the Macbook Air 11". Well it looks like this is very portable and I can envisage using it quite alot on the couch watching TV.
    11-17-2013 03:05 AM
    machine it may not be respecting the show more tiles toggle (I suspect it was reading some of my settings from my desktop PC). That, or one of the updates fixed it (I kept manually checking for updates).
    Any other advice? I reinstalled Windows 8 and upgraded back to Windows 8.1 on Sony's advice (after turning off syncing on all my PCs and clearing out my settings on skydrive and I'm still having this issue. I'm getting really frustrated with this thing and may return it if I need to log out every damn time I turn on the device.
    11-17-2013 04:55 PM
    OK, Sony got back to me about the issue via email. They say, and I quote: "Video driver update will fix the issue. Unfortunately, there is no video update available for Windows 8.1. I would recommend you to downgrade the operating System to Windows 8."

Seriously? Downgrade to 8? Flipboard *just* came out and it's 8.1 only. Sony, you're killing me. I love your hardware, but if I had a tumor, I'd name it "Sony". :(
    11-18-2013 02:57 PM
    Any other advice? I reinstalled Windows 8 and upgraded back to Windows 8.1 on Sony's advice (after turning off syncing on all my PCs and clearing out my settings on skydrive and I'm still having this issue. I'm getting really frustrated with this thing and may return it if I need to log out every damn time I turn on the device.
    Hmm not sure what else you can do save for trying to hack the registry.
    I had another run into some issue yesterday with the screen where the screen was mysteriously registrating touches right smack in the middle of the screen even when I'm not touching the device at all - I can just leave the the thing there on the table on the Start screen and I would see the screen registrating touches and opening an app where the tile is located in the middle. Didn't know what was causing it because my screen is literally sparkling clean and it took me a few restarts to get rid of it and I was scared that I had to take it back which thankfully I didn't have to.

The device seems to have a bit of teething problems with the 8.1 update, I knew Sony is always incompetent when it comes to software but this just adds more to my general lack of confidence towards Sony products. The form factor is still unbeatable and there's still a lot to like about the device and I don't think I've ran into any complete deal breakers yet - but if the problems aren't fix quickly I'll be keeping a close eye on the Surface Pro 3 release next year for an early upgrade....
    11-18-2013 08:48 PM
    OK, I think I figured out the DPI thing. I downloaded the driver from the Intel site for Windows 8.1 for the HD Graphics 4200. Uninstall the current video driver and check the "delete software for this device" box. Reboot and install the Intel driver. It should be dated 10/3/2013 and be *exactly* version 10.18.10.3316 in device manager and no lower. It should *not* be the version from Sept that is something like 10.18.10.3309. The part that screwed me up is that Windows 8.1 thinks that the Sept driver is the latest compatible one. DO NOT use "Update driver software..." on the video device or install the driver update from Windows Update (it's an optional update, but not sure if it installs by default automatically). So far it's been good for me for the past few hours and hasn't screwed up my DPI.

An update on accessories: That suede Macbook Air 11" sleeve I bought for the Tap 11 just came in. I have the same sleeve for my Macbook Air 13". The sleeve fits the Tap 11 with the keyboard like a glove. It's a bit tighter than the 13" Air because the air is tapered to a point while the Tap 11 is flat and just takes up more volume, but it's a great, if a bit tight, fit. No fabric stretching needed. The Tap 11 might be a slight bit wider (as you hold the tablet screen facing you) than the 11" Air because there is less than 1/8" extra fabric at the ends over the edge of the device. There is about 1/4" over the edge of the 13" Air sleeve. Might just be how it's cut. As always, YMMV, but 11" Air cases and sleeves look to be a great fit!

on edit: Totally with you houkoholic about Sony's teething issues. The thing is they always come out with amazing, ground breaking, flawed, wonderful hardware designs. I keep coming back to them like a lover I keep breaking up with and just want to get back with. It's weird. I should seek counselling, lol.
    internalaudit likes this.
    11-18-2013 10:24 PM
    @haukoholic

Was browsing the sony community site and came across this thread about mystery touches (albeit for the duo). One fix sounded like a possible software update, another possibly identifying a grounding issue (does it happen on AC as much as on DC)? By any chance is it only happening when plugged in, and are you plugged into a grounded outlet?

vaio duo 11 touch screen problems - Sony's Community Site
    11-20-2013 03:05 PM
    @drachen23
    Did you get the vertical or horizontal suede sleeve?

I assumed you got the horizontal sleeve, but was a bit confused because I though the horizontal sleeve would be a tight fit (because the Tap is "taller" 12 v. 11.8"), but there would be *more* overhang of the fabric since the tap is also supposed to be narrower at the waist (7.4 v. 7.56"). Perhaps the square form factor is causing the shift.

Conversely, I presume using the vertical sleeve would be a bit short and loose.

Dimensions per respective manufacturer:
    12.00" x 7.40" Vaio Tap 11
    11.80" x 7.56" Macbook Air 11
    11-20-2013 03:21 PM
    Sorry, should have specified. I have the vertical sleeve, which is why the overhang isn't as much. It's not loose at all. The Macbook Air is wedge-shaped when closed while the Tap 11 is rectangular, so it ends up taking a bit more volume.
    11-20-2013 06:26 PM
    @islanderhash I solved the mysterious ghost pressing issue and it's a bit embarrassing for me to admit but it was a user issue (ie me). Turns out that I accidentally left the keyboard switch to on and when I put the keyboard face down the keys were pressed and the Tap was registering the key presses, even though I was about 10 meters away.

Well at least I know the keyboard has good range lol.
    11-21-2013 11:06 AM
    @drachen23
    Thanks for the heads up on Waterfield. Sounds like you might have some of their other products- any recommendations besides the sleeve? I've spent a while perusing the site and there is just too much that I like.

@houkoholic, cc drachen23
    Thanks for sharing your keyboard discovery, made me laugh. Related: I've been following another thread of early adopters on the tabletpcreview forum. One guy says his keyboard "freezes" if he holds a key for a long time. (example: aaaaaaaaaaaa) I was wondering if you have the same experience. [not sure if a bug or battery-saving feature]

Similar forum of early adopters; If you know of any others, please let me know.
    Sony Vaio Tap 11

And for a last laugh, I just measured my (2 laptops ago) laptop, a Clevo/Sager D9K which I spent oodles on in 2006. 2.1 inches thick (versus the Tap at .55 with keyboard). I believe it weighs 13 pounds. A thief broke into my house when it was rather new, discovered where I had hidden it under a pillow, and decided NOT to take it with him. How things change, eh?
    11-21-2013 05:50 PM
    @drachen23
    Thanks for the heads up on Waterfield. Sounds like you might have some of their other products- any recommendations besides the sleeve? I've spent a while perusing the site and there is just too much that I like.
    I love Waterfield. Their products are very high quality and their customer service is great. I have the suede sleeves obviously. They don't give much shock protection other than a gel-lined bottom but prevent scuffing and keep the Tap 11 keyboard from sliding around. Their sleeve cases are a bit on the thick side IMO, but VERY protective and the ballistic nylon ones are practically indestructible. I carried a laptop around in just the sleevecase outfitted with a flap, strap and accessories pouch as my main gear bag for 4 years and it still looks brand new. Hell, it outlasted the laptop. My main gear bag for the past two years is a black Muzetto 13". It doesn't have a lot of padding, and being leather it's a bit on the heavy side, but I love it, it has plenty of pockets and it's tough as nails.

I'll be honest, I don't think I've used that keyboard more than two times just to test it out. I use my tablets as tablets most of the time.
    11-21-2013 10:32 PM
    I am a new user of Tap 11 in Singapore. Want to check to see if anyone in the forum has tried out connecting the HDMI port to a VGA projector (via a converter) for presentations at work. I tried but have not been successful. Any advice from anybody?

Thanks.
    11-24-2013 12:22 AM
    Interesting comparison between Surface Pro 2 and Vaio Tap 11:

Just wondering if anyone who owns the Vaio Tap 11 agree with his comments?
    11-30-2013 09:53 PM
    I think he is pretty fair with his criticism of the Tap. Size is subjective so I won't go into it, but he is 100% on the mark with those pesky flaps and that impractical pen holder (really hate that pen holder). The kick stand I would agree with having to prey it out is not as nice as the Surface kick stand which just tends to flip out. Metal tends to give a nicer quality feel to it but plastic can be good too (such as Thinkpad plastic) but will just have to wait and see how it actually holds up for the Tap. I personally also prefer the concept of the Surface more so than the Tap overall - especially how the keyboard blades integrates so well with the tablet compared to the one with the Tap (although wireless is nice, which the Surface can also do but only with the help of an accessory), except I actually care about weight unlike the person in the video so I went with the Tap. My perfect device would be something as thin and lighter than the Tap, but has the large kickstand, battery, keyboard blade of the Surface Pro 2. Neither device has the best solution for a pen holder which I think they really need to work on but I think the Surface has a slightly better one.
    12-02-2013 08:04 AM
    Yes he was really whining about the size alot but I think the Tap 11 size is just about right. The only issue that is preventing from ordering it straightaway is the processor which seems to be abit slower for the price. That said the Surface Pro 2 is not a solution either as it is way too chunky. Therefore I am waiting for more reviews of the Dell Venue Pro 11 before making a decision- sadly that seems to be least sexy of all though :(
    12-03-2013 10:13 AM
    Another review of the Tap 11 which is quite positive:
    12-03-2013 10:21 AM
    Question for Tap 11 owners: Wireless Throughput Limited?

I read a troubling post from an owner who found the wireless throughput of his Tap 11 to be severely limited. Specifically, he could not go over 6 Mbps, even though his other wireless devices were getting 20 Mbps through the same access point. He was using speedtest.net for diagnostics. He reportedly updated his WiFi driver prior to the test (and was only getting 3 Mbps prior).

Can anyone verify if this is an isolated issue.
    12-04-2013 09:12 PM
    I can't replicate the throughput limit. I'm getting a solid 14-15 Mbps down testing with speedtest.net (using the desktop version of IE11 for about 4 tries). I get 16 on my desktop. I'm using the most recent Sony drivers that came through the Vaio Update program.
    12-04-2013 10:32 PM
    I get the full 300Mbps when transferring files from my NAS within 5 metre range of my AC router, can't say anything about internet speed because my cable connection is crap and is only 10Mbps downstream.
    12-05-2013 12:05 AM
    RE: Wifi
    Thanks, confirmation appreciated!
    12-05-2013 01:54 PM
83 1234