10-29-2017 09:02 AM
280 ... 45678 ...
tools
    Most cpu coolers require you to completely remove the stock brackets and in some instances the backing plate to replace them with ones that they have designed for the aftermarket cooler. I had to remove my stock ones but I could have mounted mine for bottom to top airflow if i wanted.

Most of them are literally up to you as to how to do it. :)

Tbh I was the same and I'm still not 100% on how I should set mine up, but temps on idle and load are lowest with intakes front, side and bottom, exhaust rear and top. This may be case dependant and an alternative case may benefit from the opposite, you never know lol that's what makes all this interesting 😁

I like your case, it seems very popular amongst modders/custom pc builders. :)
    05-26-2014 12:30 PM
    As hot air rises, having top and back as intake and bottom, side and front as exhaust wouldn't do a great job. Also there's the depate which is better: positive or negative pressure.

And I think my case fans in the front aren't being controlled at all and one of them seems to wobble -_- Need to think of a solution there and I don't really want to spend money on a fan controller and PWM fans. Noctuas new Redux and Industrial line isn't even that expensive. I was expecting prices of 20€ and more per fan. (okay, as long as it isn't a Industrial-line fan, the start at about 25€).

Thanks! Actually, I've seen more people complain about it (the price being too high for a value case and the orange being too flashy). I was really having a hard time picking the right case for me, since I didn't want to spend a ton of money on my first case but didn't want to settle for a generic looking, inexpensive case.
    05-26-2014 10:04 PM
    Anyone have a Core 2 Duo for sale? Willing to buy at a reasonable price for my mobo-Leonite2-gl8e LGA775.
    05-27-2014 03:56 PM
    Anyone have a Core 2 Duo for sale? Willing to buy at a reasonable price for my mobo-Leonite2-gl8e LGA775.
    I wouldn't waste money on outdated hardware. The Core 2 series might still give you the performance you need but with a socket that's not supported anymore you run at risk of wasting money. Since it's a few years old parts like the MoBo, RAM or something else might break in a while and getting a replacement is (at least in my country) sheer impossible and would be most likely only a short-term solution (since even a replacement is a few years old).

If you can upgrade and try to reuse as much as possible (altough I recommend you get a new OS as well since the 32bit version lets you only use 4GB of RAM, even if you install more).
    A cheap APU (AMDs A-series or some of Intel's chips like the i3-4130/i3-4330 and some Pentium G) will save you some money when you upgrade because you don't need a dedicated GPU and depending on the games you play an APU might be enough.

But you'll most likely face costs of 500-600€ for a config like this -> System Build - PCPartPicker
    S Vaibhav likes this.
    05-28-2014 02:47 AM
    Dont go for it buddy invest in newer hardware my friend also bought one his mobo was 5+ years old after he bought that his motherboard was dead so now he bought the whole new hardwarw and sold the core 2 duo as lga775 motherboard was not available in market.
    If your motherboard is in warranty you will get if the shops have old stocks with them but it is hard to find.
    If you are from mumbai you can try lamington road there you will find it
    My friend got e5700 for 3000 bucks
    S Vaibhav likes this.
    05-28-2014 02:54 AM
    I wouldn't waste money on outdated hardware. The Core 2 series might still give you the performance you need but with a socket that's not supported anymore you run at risk of wasting money. Since it's a few years old parts like the MoBo, RAM or something else might break in a while and getting a replacement is (at least in my country) sheer impossible and would be most likely only a short-term solution (since even a replacement is a few years old).

If you can upgrade and try to reuse as much as possible (altough I recommend you get a new OS as well since the 32bit version lets you only use 4GB of RAM, even if you install more).
    A cheap APU (AMDs A-series or some of Intel's chips like the i3-4130/i3-4330 and some Pentium G) will save you some money when you upgrade because you don't need a dedicated GPU and depending on the games you play an APU might be enough.

But you'll most likely face costs of 500-600 for a config like this -> System Build - PCPartPicker
    Actually I have a config as follows-
    4 GB RAM DDR2 667Mhz
    Nvidia GeForce GT 520 2GB DDR3
    HDD-W.D 160GB+1TB external HDD
    17 inch monitor and 2.1 speakers
    CPU-Pentium D 925 65nm 3.0GHz

I get a wei of.4.9 with the cpu being the bottle neck. The graphics performance is nice, can play assassins creed 4 on low settings @45-50 fps... With the AC on, of course. The Pentium overheats frequently without the AC on, so I thought I would buy a C2D e6700 to solve my prob and run the rig for another couple of years. But you are right,I bought it in 2007, and it has run its course and might break anytime. What do you think I should do? After these good enough specs to last a couple of years or should I invest in a new PC immediately or when this one conks out? Thanks buddy! :)
    05-28-2014 11:37 AM
    Dont go for it buddy invest in newer hardware my friend also bought one his mobo was 5+ years old after he bought that his motherboard was dead so now he bought the whole new hardwarw and sold the core 2 duo as lga775 motherboard was not available in market.
    If your motherboard is in warranty you will get if the shops have old stocks with them but it is hard to find.
    If you are from mumbai you can try lamington road there you will find it
    My friend got e5700 for 3000 bucks
    4 GB RAM DDR2 667Mhz

I get a wei of.4.9 with the cpu being the bottle neck. The graphics performance is nice, can play assassins creed 4 on low settings @45-50 fps... With the AC on, of course. The Pentium overheats frequently without the AC on, so I thought I would buy a C2D e6700 to solve my prob and run the rig for another couple of years. But you are right,I bought it in 2007, and it has run its course and might break anytime. What do you think I should do? After these good enough specs to last a couple of years or should I invest in a new PC immediately or when this one conks out? Thanks buddy! :)
    05-28-2014 11:39 AM
    Motherboard: Intel
    Video card: Radeon 7870
    CPU: I7 sandy bridge
    RAM: 8GB
    Soundcard: Claro halo
    Harddrive: 1TB HDD + 150GB HDD
    Case: Black Silverstone FT03
    Monitor: Two 20 inch hp monitors
    Other: 2 krk rokit 5 studio monitors (speakers), 2 external TB hard drives and an akai max49 keyboard controller.

My rig is for music production but I decided to throw in a decent graphics card later to do some occasional gaming too. I see no one else has invested heavily into a good soundcard. Prior to the graphics card upgrade I had a nvidia 440 because I was more into the soundcard. I went with the Silverstone case since I'm not hard core gamer and wanted a computer that actually looks normal. I think most people can't even tell it's a computer. They usually thinks it's a trashcan lol.
    QwarkDreams likes this.
    05-28-2014 12:14 PM
    That thing's not going to last a couple of years. The end of this year or next is going to bring DDR4 RAM, and you'll still be sitting back at DDR2, which is slow and expensive to replace. You might be able to get away with it if you're not getting newer games anytime soon, but you should otherwise be looking at a real upgrade of your whole system within the next year.

If overheating's your issue, go see about getting a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, buying some thermal paste, and seeing if that $40 investment can give you a bit of life while you save up for a new rig.
    S Vaibhav and QwarkDreams like this.
    05-28-2014 12:17 PM
    4 GB RAM DDR2 667Mhz

You should invest in a new pc cause if you bought a new processor it will cost you around ₹3000 so better to invest in new build
    You just need to update mobo+processor and ram.If you are on budget go for i3 3rd gen
    I3-3220(₹7000)+gigabyte h61m-d2h(₹3250)-corsair vengeance 4gb ddr3 1600mhz(₹2500) =₹14000
    If you wanna go for 4th gen
    Then i3-4130(₹7500)+gigabyte b85m-d3h(₹5700)/gigabyte h81m-s1(₹4000)+corsair vengeance 4gb ddr3 1600mhz(₹2500)=(₹14000-₹15700)
    My advice is to go for 4th gen i3 with b85 socket motherboard as it will give you more space for future upgrades and there is hardly any difference in price.
    P.s: Price keep changing everyday so you might find stuff lower than this price or slightly higher. :)
    Last edited by Skyrocker007; 05-28-2014 at 09:47 PM.
    S Vaibhav likes this.
    05-28-2014 12:20 PM
    Not very good specs but here's mine:

Motherboard: ASRock N68C-S UCC
    Processor: AMD Phenom II X3 710 2.6ghz (unlocked to Phenom II X4 10)
    Cooler: Deepcool Ice Blade Pro
    Memory: GSkill 4gb (2x2gb) DDR3 1333
    Graphics: Nvidia GTX 550Ti 1.5gb 192bit DDR3
    Hard Drives: Seagate 160gb IDE, Seagate 250gb SATA, Seagate 1tb SATA
    Power: HEC Cougar SL 600W 80+
    Case: just a generic case, no modifications
    Mouse: A4Tech X7 F2
    Keyboard: TT esports Amaru
    Monitor: Ganzklar 24" 1080p LCD
    Speakers: Ganzklar 5.1 speaker system
    QwarkDreams likes this.
    05-29-2014 01:08 AM
    4 GB RAM DDR2 667Mhz
    To give you a better understanding of what I was dealing with before I assembled a whole new desktop PC:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz
    3GB DDR2 RAM
    Geforce 8600 GT (256mb)
    Seagate F2 500GB HDD (another F2 with 500GB as an external drive in a docking station)
    8x USB 2.0 of which only 4 worked at the end

The CPU would've provided enough performance for most older games but the RAM, GPU and MoBo were the bottleneck. With so many old parts to replace a simple upgrade would've been a waste of money and the price-to-performance ration would've been very bad if I would've been able to buy new parts (not used ones, that would've been even worse). (Damn, so many "would've been"s in one sentence.

I hope you get my point. A complete new system will get you through some years. You have to catch the right moment to upgrade you parts. If you miss it the cost of upgrading will rise, the performance you get for your money will decrease and in the worst case (unfortunately, like yours) you won't be able to upgrade (too old parts, too high prices, too little performance).
    S Vaibhav likes this.
    05-31-2014 01:14 PM
    Well, since our second desktop PC in the living room (same model as my old one; see specs in last post) died on my, I had to pick some parts for a new one (looks like my grandma can't go one day without her beloved Mahjong.....but I'M the PC-addict...sure -_-). Went with a AMD APU since they offer the best bang for the buck and the specs don't need to be that great (she only needs if for simple games and internet browsing).

I'll post some pics as soon as I get the parts but don't expect a color-matching, high-end PC ;-)

AMD A6-5400K Black Edition 2x3.6GHz
    MSI A78M-E45 FM2+
    Crucial Ballistix Tactical DDR3-1866 CL9 1x4GB
    Corsair VS350
    Sharkoon VS3-S (red)
    Windows 8.1 64bit
    Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB

Managed to keep the price at ~350€. Hopefully the performance will suit her habits.

Edit: First pic of the new desktop PC for my grandma. It's no beauty and the quality of teh case is....well, I wouldn't recommend it (kinda what to expect for a case worth 27€). Maybe I'm too spoiled with my Corsair case but I've never had a good feeling about Sharkoon. The interior is hideous, there's no cutout behind the motherboard (changing the CPU cooler means unmounting the mobo), the drive mounts are flimsy and spartanic (only good thing is that the HDD "bays" have rubbergrommets) and the metal feels cheap.

The cpu and mobo are great, wouldn't have expected less from MSI and AMD.

But the case....ugh...

wp_20140613_12_26_05_pro.jpg
    Last edited by QwarkDreams; 06-13-2014 at 05:54 AM.
    06-10-2014 10:15 AM
    Some case manufacturers really do go all out on budget cutting but for your needs for this build qwark it should be fine :)

I have gone mad. I have decided to push the boat out and do this rig justice.

Overall plans:

triple monitor setup - third monitor arriving tomorrow :D
    SLI - extra 770 phantom 4gb will be ordered at the end of the month to match the one I already have
    Custom GFX card backplates from coldzero in white and black.
    Custom SLI bridge in white and black from coldzero
    Bitfenix white braided cables. 24pin atx, 2x6pin GFX, 2x8pin gfx, 3x sata, onboard audio, 1xsata power
    Teamgroup Vulcan RAM 2x4gb to add onto the 8gb I already have

After that im pretty sure my urges will be satisfied :D
    QwarkDreams likes this.
    06-13-2014 07:49 PM
    Some case manufacturers really do go all out on budget cutting but for your needs for this build qwark it should be fine :)

I have gone mad. I have decided to push the boat out and do this rig justice.

Overall plans:

triple monitor setup - third monitor arriving tomorrow :D
    SLI - extra 770 phantom 4gb will be ordered at the end of the month to match the one I already have
    Custom GFX card backplates from coldzero in white and black.
    Custom SLI bridge in white and black from coldzero
    Bitfenix white braided cables. 24pin atx, 2x6pin GFX, 2x8pin gfx, 3x sata, onboard audio, 1xsata power
    Teamgroup Vulcan RAM 2x4gb to add onto the 8gb I already have

After that im pretty sure my urges will be satisfied :D
    Yeah, it's good enough for this particular build but I would rather go for quality than for budget. Upgrading a case isn't exactly what I want to do in the future (also I wouldn't know what to do with the old case). I already bought it, I installed more than half of the parts (ODD, HDD, MoBo, APU), I wish I would've got a different case (like a Corsair 200R, yep, Corsair fanboy) for a little bit more money and I hate it. Now I get it when most people on forums don't pick a case when giving rig recommendations via PCPartPicker because it's such a personal thing.
    Maybe I'll exchange it in a year with a new one.....really, really unhappy with my decision regarding the case and kinda mad at myself :-/

What mobo do you have? Asus Evo R2.0, but which one? I'm sure you did your research but I just wanted to mention that the old M5A97 only supports CrossFireX.

This build will be pure overkill^^ Damn, FX8350, 16GB RAM, SLI GTX 770 4GB.....damn!
    06-13-2014 08:37 PM
    Does nVidia still use bridges for SLI? I think AMD does CFX over PCI-e now, with their new cards.
    06-13-2014 09:54 PM
    Does nVidia still use bridges for SLI? I think AMD does CFX over PCI-e now, with their new cards.
    Yup, SLI still needs bridges (besides the low-end cards). Afaik only the R9 290 & 290X don't need bridges anymore.
    06-13-2014 10:04 PM
    What mobo do you have? Asus Evo R2.0, but which one? I'm sure you did your research but I just wanted to mention that the old M5A97 only supports CrossFireX.

This build will be pure overkill^^ Damn, FX8350, 16GB RAM, SLI GTX 770 4GB.....damn!
    Its the Asus M5A99X, so it supports quad SLI which is pointless because after SLI it starts dropping to x4 and x1 speeds :S
    Single GFX is x16, SLI drops to x8 but it wont make a different considering the gains.

Also:
    24dknqw.jpg
    QwarkDreams and gedzum like this.
    06-14-2014 07:32 AM
    Finally! Today came the rest of the parts for the new PC in the living room (PSU, RAM, OS).

Had my fair share of nerve-wrecking with the assembling (to be honest, it was 100% my fault as you will see in the picture).

The specs are now:

Case: Sharkoon VS3-S (I HATE that thing!!!)
    APU: AMD A6-5400K 2x 3.6GHz
    MoBo: MSI A78M-E45
    RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 1x 4GB DDR3-1866 (adding another 4GB stick next month)
    PSU: Corsair VS350
    ODD: some old LG DVD drive
    HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB

I do not recommend this case at all (only excuse for this case is if you need one right now and replace it with better one within short time). The cable management in there is terrible. With the PSU mounted in the top some cables are too short to be routed behind the MoBo tray, so I had to leave them hanging in the case (did my best to clear the path for the front intake fan). The 24pin cable almost doesn't fit behind the MoBo tray. The MoBo tray doesn't have a cutout for easy CPU cooler replacement (so you ahve to get everything out before you can replace the CPU cooler). The quality is really not worth the ~30€ (the steel feels too light and flexes a lot), you can only install 2x 2.5" or 2x 3.5" drives, the rear exhaust fan mount is only for 80/92mm fans. Never again Sharkoon.
    I'm playing with the idea of replacing the case at the end of this year with a Corsair 200R which is about 20€ more expensive but at least it offers better quality and a more reasoned way of installing fans, drives and better cable management.

As you can see in the picture I connected the front panel stuff on the wrong spot.

wp_20140617_15_11_13_pro.jpg

What kinda puzzles me is that the MoBo (FM2+) was only ~38€ and supports CrossFire (has 2 PCIe slots) while my ASRock H87 Pro4 (LGA1150) only has one PCIe slot and was about 70€ O.o
    Last edited by QwarkDreams; 06-17-2014 at 08:26 PM.
    gedzum likes this.
    06-17-2014 11:35 AM
    What kinda puzzles me is that the MoBo (FM2+) was only ~38 and supports CrossFire (has 2 PCIe slots) while my ASRock H87 Pro4 (LGA1150) only has one PCIe slot and was about 70 O.o
    The mobo above is a x16 PCI-E which reduces down to x4 it seems with SLI and the other PCI-E is a x1 speed. So even though SLI would be possible it could create a few issues with the speed reduction and differences. Just guessing, im not 100% clued up on how much speeds prevent gfx card bottlenecking etc.
    06-19-2014 03:08 PM
    The mobo above is a x16 PCI-E which reduces down to x4 it seems with SLI and the other PCI-E is a x1 speed. So even though SLI would be possible it could create a few issues with the speed reduction and differences. Just guessing, im not 100% clued up on how much speeds prevent gfx card bottlenecking etc.
    To be honest, I've never really looked into SLI/CF(X) and PCI-e ports. That's probably why I never understood why most MoBos don't sipport both SLI and CrossFire.
    06-19-2014 03:14 PM
    I should really clean my PC more often....the amount of dust that has build up on the mesh on the front panel was...well, it was more than I would've expected in this short time since I last cleaned it.

But this way I did some more cable management and finally put all the unused cables behind the MoBo tray (damn...I need more zip ties). And yes, the grey shade on the top fans was dust before I cleaned them. Seems like on of the contacts of my fan splitter came loose and now I can only plug in two fans (not that I need more at the moment).

wp_20140624_14_56_37_pro.jpg

wp_20140624_14_58_21_pro.jpg

I also took the bottom intake fan (the Corsair SP120) and put it in the PC in the living room (the Sharkoon case only came with one front 120mm intake fan).

Btw, my next PSU will definately be at least semi-modular, but this could take a years until I buy a new one (being a Seasonic of excellent quality and more power than I could use even with a major upgrade in my rig).

Any thoughts on the cable management?
    gedzum likes this.
    06-25-2014 03:25 AM
    Looking good. Just wondering though, how are you finding the stock intel cooler? Does it get particularly noisy after a while? The stock AMD one I had was obnoxious. Loud and high pitched. I'm considering the intel platform when upgrade time rolls. Might consider saving on an after market cooler since I don't really overclock much.
    06-25-2014 05:42 AM
    Looking good. Just wondering though, how are you finding the stock intel cooler? Does it get particularly noisy after a while? The stock AMD one I had was obnoxious. Loud and high pitched. I'm considering the intel platform when upgrade time rolls. Might consider saving on an after market cooler since I don't really overclock much.
    Of course aftermarket coolers are better than the stock solution but at least they are free and more than sufficient when the case offers good airflow and one doesn't intend to overclock. I get good temps (~28-34C idle, 62C max. on load (video encoding); depending on the weather) in my case with the stock cooler but it is louder than the other fans I have installed in the case but not really annoying. It does its job and came "free" with the CPU (I'm sure Intel and AMD include them somewhere in the price).

Finally, the package from Amazon with the 92mm fan (be quiet! Pure Wings 2) and CPU cooler (Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Evo) arrived :-D Already installed both and at least the noise level went down quite a bit. Can't say much about the temps since AMD's temp monitors are garbage.

wp_20140625_17_21_46_pro.jpg
    gedzum likes this.
    06-25-2014 11:00 AM
    Thanks for the feedback mate!

Seeing your build progress gives me the urge to randomly tinker with my build ;)
    06-25-2014 01:51 PM
280 ... 45678 ...