Looking for advice

x I'm tc

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying replace what is currently an old Sony Via Duo laptop with a system that I can work on programming in Unity on with my kids, 8 and 10. The laptop is hooked up to a monitor, mouse and keyboard, and so is really just acting like a SFF PC.

I don't want to date myself, but I built a couple of PCs before year of the flood. I think my last custom PC was a Pentium III with something like a 40 GB HDD, 128 MB of RAM, and Matrox Parhelia card. I asked my kids if they wanted to help me build a new PC, from scratch, and they didn't understand that PCs could come in boxes with components--they've only ever seen laptops (when we went to look at cases, my daughter asked if the glass panel on the side of one was the screen).

So, I want to build a small PC, but also a fun one. In particular, I want a glowing lights that the kids can control with software--these things didn't exist last time I contemplated building a PC. I don't think I'm brave enough to attempt things like liquid cooling, but go ahead and talk me into it if you think it's a must. I'm not planning on overclocking.

I'm really just looking for some advice from the more wizened amongst you about this part list I put together, with a little help from PC Part Picker. (I forced all the prices to be from Amazon, and when PC Part Picker couldn't find them there, I entered them manually.) I want this PC to be usable for 3-5 years without giving it a thought as to upgrading anything. I also want to keep the price under $2K. What do you think about:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/xImtc/saved/ctJzYJ

Case
SilverStoneRaven RVZ03B-ARGB$134.99
Power SupplySilverStoneStrider Platinum 550 W 80+ (PS-ST55F-PT)$109.99
Case FansSilverStoneSlim (15 mm) 120 mm ARGB Fan (FW124-ARGB)$71.97
MotherboardAsusROG STRIX X470-I GAMING Mini ITX$215.09
CPUAMDRyzen 7 2700X$294.99
CPU CoolerNoctuaNH-L9a-AM4$39.90
MemoryCorsairVengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-2666$164.99
StorageIntel660p Series 2 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive$219.99
Video CardAsusRadeon VII 16 GB$729.99
Total
$1,981.90

Have I made any glaring compatibility mistakes? Do you forsee any other serious problems? Like am I missing something important? Have I ordered something I really don't need?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Lee_Bo

Jun 22, 2017
Visit site
Looks good.

Since you're wanting to add lights that the youts can control, I'd look at a couple of these from Amazon:

LEDdess RGB LED 120mm Case Fan with Controller for PC Cases, CPU Coolers, Radiators System (3pcs RGB Fans, 2pcs led Strips, 2nd Gen RF Remote Control, A Series)
https://www.amazon.com/LEDdess-Cont...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3778599

MUSETEX ATX Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case 6 RGB LED Fans 2 Translucent Tempered Glass Panels USB 3.0 Port,Cable Management/Airflow, Gaming Style Window Case(903-D6)
https://www.amazon.com/MUSETEX-Gami...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3778599

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Hey...how is it going? I'm not very proficient with AMD components, but I'll throw in my 2 cents....

Have I made any glaring compatibility mistakes?
It doesn't appear so. The only thing I can see is, from what I understand, is Ryzen like higher clocked RAM. The board looks like it can support faster RAM, but it might need a BIOS change to utilize it.

Have I ordered something I really don't need?
The only thing I would counter is the size factor. Mini ITX is expensive because you are paying for the compact dimensions. I would look at some smaller Micro ATX cubes to help save on space, but at the same time, you can save a lot of cash, just by going to a slightly bigger form factor. Slim cases can also be more difficult to build in, due to constricted size.

I would counter suggest this case: https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...t.aspx%3FItem%3D9SIA2F86WZ4972&token=gCRjFbji
I know it's from NewEgg, but at least you get the idea. I find shopping for some PC parts on Amazon to be difficult.

So, see what the different board, case, and Power supply will run you and compare the price difference.

As for the GPU....I'm an Nvidia guy, so I'm not quite sure where the card holds up against the GTX lineup, but you could go with either a 1080Ti, or a 1070 and save some cash.

General build ideas: I'd go with a smaller OS drive and invest in some HDDs to increase your storage capacity for the lowest cost.

x I'm tc

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Wow. What a thorough set of responses.

I have taken a look at your build and it definitely saves some bread. I assume you are suggesting just get a big-enough SSD to boot off of and put all your stuff on a slower, 2.5" drive. I think that makes a lot of sense.

Also, I did a little reading, and I think you're right about the RAM.

Thank you for the feedback!!!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Wow. What a thorough set of responses.

I have taken a look at your build and it definitely saves some bread. I assume you are suggesting just get a big-enough SSD to boot off of and put all your stuff on a slower, 2.5" drive. I think that makes a lot of sense.

Also, I did a little reading, and I think you're right about the RAM.

Thank you for the feedback!!!

Not so much as just enough for the OS, but, smaller so that you can save some serious cash. A 120 GB would even be good enough. There are rare cases when a lot of SSD storage is needed, but I doubt that applies to you.

I would highly suggest to look at some build videos for that slim case so you know what you are getting into.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos