i have a question about windows tablets in general

kingenu

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
i get that you can get the surface and lenovo and co windows tablet but i was talking to a friend about getting a android tablet and he asked me why not get a windows 8 tablet to complete your collection (i own a windows 8 laptop and a lumia 920-soon to be 925) and i had to reply with "i can't find any in my price range or size range). and it got me thinking, android has the samsung galaxy tab 1-3 and ios has the ipad and the ipad mini but i can't seem to find a cheap portable tablet for windows 8, im talking about a 7inch tablet that runs windows 8 but also the android tablets are normally around ?100-?150 and sometimes you get the odd ?70-?90 ones but all windows tablet are at least ?200 and far too big

is there a reason for this? are there any small tablets coming to windows 8?

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
i get that you can get the surface and lenovo and co windows tablet but i was talking to a friend about getting a android tablet and he asked me why not get a windows 8 tablet to complete your collection (i own a windows 8 laptop and a lumia 920-soon to be 925) and i had to reply with "i can't find any in my price range or size range). and it got me thinking, android has the samsung galaxy tab 1-3 and ios has the ipad and the ipad mini but i can't seem to find a cheap portable tablet for windows 8, im talking about a 7inch tablet that runs windows 8 but also the android tablets are normally around ?100-?150 and sometimes you get the odd ?70-?90 ones but all windows tablet are at least ?200 and far too big

is there a reason for this? are there any small tablets coming to windows 8?

Not sure what you are saying...because you say you can get the iPad but then say you can't find a cheap Windows 8 option... So doesn't that mean you are looking at the 200 price range? (I live in the states, but a Mimi on Amazon is 217 pounds.

Anyway, there are options but you won't find $75 options like you can with Android because the OS would be half the cost, haha.

The best option for a small 7" Tablet is usually the Dell Venue 8 Pro. So it isn't even just running RT but full Windows 8 on budget hardware.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-Venue-...ag=hawk-future-21&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU2315673

kingenu

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Not sure what you are saying...because you say you can get the iPad but then say you can't find a cheap Windows 8 option... So doesn't that mean you are looking at the 200 price range? (I live in the states, but a Mimi on Amazon is 217 pounds.

Anyway, there are options but you won't find $75 options like you can with Android because the OS would be half the cost, haha.

The best option for a small 7" Tablet is usually the Dell Venue 8 Pro. So it isn't even just running RT but full Windows 8 on budget hardware.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-Venue-...ag=hawk-future-21&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU2315681

im saying size wise you can get the ipad and if people can afford it they can get it too but i can't. and i know i won't find a ?75 one bu what im saying is there really should be a tablet for around ?100-150" even if it only runs windows phone but without sim card access and that kind of stuff.

the link you post is about ?280, now for a tablet that is too much, my laptop cost ?20 more than that. i just wished there was a alternative to the tab 3 for around the same price

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
It really depends on what and why you want a tablet, and whether personal privacy is important to you. If it is, then cheap tablets are not good value as they all run Android, which is basically Google's way of targeting you for advertisements. Personally, I would never have an Android device in the house.

Given the price of an iPad, any Windows device like the Dell Venue Pro or Lenovo Miix2 have to be excellent value, given that they run Full versions of Windows and come with versions of Office as standard. I already own a Surface RT and am really happy as it does so much out of the box. Whatsmore, it also integrates with my other devices, so if I'm on my Lumia arranging an appointment, I can pick up the Surface to check the calendar to see if I'm free. I can then use it to set the appointment up knowing that it will automatically sync with my Lumia.

Yes, if all you want to do is watch Youtube any device will do, but a Windows device will do all that and make a useful contribution to your life. It will work for you in ways no Android or iPad ever could.

kingenu

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
It really depends on what and why you want a tablet, and whether personal privacy is important to you. If it is, then cheap tablets are not good value as they all run Android, which is basically Google's way of targeting you for advertisements. Personally, I would never have an Android device in the house.

Given the price of an iPad, any Windows device like the Dell Venue Pro or Lenovo Miix2 have to be excellent value, given that they run Full versions of Windows and come with versions of Office as standard. I already own a Surface RT and am really happy as it does so much out of the box. Whatsmore, it also integrates with my other devices, so if I'm on my Lumia arranging an appointment, I can pick up the Surface to check the calendar to see if I'm free. I can then use it to set the appointment up knowing that it will automatically sync with my Lumia.

Yes, if all you want to do is watch Youtube any device will do, but a Windows device will do all that and make a useful contribution to your life. It will work for you in ways no Android or iPad ever could.

i really understand what you are saying but feel like you don't get what i am saying.

lets say i buy a 7inch tablet, i want to be able to play games, twitter and other social networks, i also use some news apps.now buying a surface just for that seems like a waste of money because i already have a windows 8 laptop that works great.

so i just want something that beats a phone but not as expensive as a laptop

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
i really understand what you are saying but feel like you don't get what i am saying.

lets say i buy a 7inch tablet, i want to be able to play games, twitter and other social networks, i also use some news apps.now buying a surface just for that seems like a waste of money because i already have a windows 8 laptop that works great.

so i just want something that beats a phone but not as expensive as a laptop

I think our points just doesn't fall in line with your situation...

You are saying you want to have your laptop + a $75 android tablet as an add on, to fit whichever situation you find yourself in....and our posts are basically pointing to the fact that if you want those two devices, you SHOULD have (hindsight...I know) just bought one Windows 8 tablet which gives you tablet functionality with the power of a laptop!

So, I think to truly answer your question...there is not a $75 option because at the heart of a Windows 8 device, it does too much stuff to be able to be ran on 5 year old craptastic hardware like those cheap chinablets

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't see why you don't want the Venue Pro. Its $270, which is very reasonably priced since the Nexus 7 is $230.

Amazon.com: Dell Venue 8 Pro 32 GB Tablet (Windows 8.1): Computers & Accessories

And if you look around you can find the Dell cheaper than that. I've seen it as low as $199 - and I'm not talking about the Black Friday deals - I've seen it since then. Here it is for $229.
http://www.live.dellbtoc.webcollage...in-showcase%3Dtrue%26is-in-standalone%3Dfalse

kingenu

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
im not talking about a ?75 tablet, im talking about a tablet around the ?139-?150 price range, that is the price of the tab 3 btw, i just wanted a windows 8 tablet equivalent for the same price

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes