Recommend a tablet?

bcphysics

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Hello,
I'm interested in getting a Windows tablet. I have three main purposes for it.
First, it would be a music source for my kitchen and dining room. I will connect it to an amp and will have wifi connection to my server which serves files (shares, upnp, Plex, dlna) and internet radio. Our family would also use it for convenient browsing in the kitchen (not carried around).

Second, it would be useful as a reader in the evening, since my eReader does not emit light.

Finally, it would be used for travel for web browsing, messaging, reading.

Battery life is important to me, I'd like to be able to read and travel without worrying about a dead battery in a couple of hours. Detachable keyboard isn't so important. We have other computers in the house when a keyboard is really needed.

thanks

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
For those use cases, sounds like a Surface 2 would work just fine.

I have the Plex server running on my iMac and have the Plex client on my Surface 2 and Roku 3. Works wonderfully well. I have been ripping my extensive DVD collection and using Plex is like having a personal "Netflix". :smile:

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I've had good luck with the Dell Venue 8 pro. Good form factor, easy to haul around, good battery life, and can run full windows applications if you need it to.

bcphysics

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the input everyone.
I'm aware of the lights for eReaders. My primary need for a tablet is as a sound source in the kitchen and dining area. A non-tablet solution would be to use a Sonos system. The overall price will be similar but the tablet would offer some other flexibility.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills