Venue 8 Pro or Iconia W4 or ?

bobbob1016

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking for a Windows 8.1 tablet in the $150 USD range with an 8 inch screen, 2 gig RAM, 32 gig internal, and full Windows. I've been researching, and I'm, at the moment, between the Venue 8 Pro and the Iconia W4. The only things I can't find conclusively are whether they use proprietary chargers. I've seen things saying the Dell has one and the Iconia doesn't, then other things saying the Iconia does and the Dell doesn't. I have an "MS Store" nearby, it's a Kiosk, not sure if that'll help. MicroHDMI isn't a deal breaker, but if there's a tablet I'm overlooking, with a full-size USB in that range, or if someone could help me choose the W4 or the Venue I'd appreciate it.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Micro Center's 8" WinBook has a full-size USB 3.0 port, which just about no other tablet in its class has.

The Venue uses microUSB to charge, it comes with a 2 amp charger.
I dont know about the Iconia, but I'm willing to think its the same. (maybe if you pull up a picture showing what ports it has...)

bobbob1016

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
I thought about the Winbook, but I was a little concerned as I haven't heard of them before. Most of the ones I saw from them was 16gig internal and 1gig ram. Wanted a bit more than that.

Albatross2

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I have a Venue Pro 8 that I've been happy with for over a year. The charging is standard microUSB, but it does require the high amperage (2+ amps) to charge. It will not charge when plugged in to a standard USB2.0 port on a computer. Love the pen input for the Dell VP8.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I thought about the Winbook, but I was a little concerned as I haven't heard of them before. Most of the ones I saw from them was 16gig internal and 1gig ram. Wanted a bit more than that.

They come in better specced models.
They aren't well known, but the store that runs the brand is - Micro Center.
I had a friend who picked up the 2/32 8" WinBook and its fairly solid.

bobbob1016

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
I ordered the TW801 as it has USB3. Whether the bus can support it or not, I don't know. Is it difficult to make an install flash drive, or is there a walkthrough anyone can point to? Want to start with a fresh install if possible.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I ordered the TW801 as it has USB3. Whether the bus can support it or not, I don't know. Is it difficult to make an install flash drive, or is there a walkthrough anyone can point to? Want to start with a fresh install if possible.

I don't think a fresh install will be easy considering I couldn't find the drivers online. I think Micro Center's loadout is fairly minimal to boot though.

bobbob1016

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I'm just on a kind of "trust no one" kick after superfish. Microsoft would be a given, but not sure past that. I'll look in to it when I get it today, thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes