Why is Windows 7 Using So Much Disk Space?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I just installed Windows 7.1 Professional on a 70GB SSD partition (I'm using Bootcamp on an iMac). I'm trying to upgrade to Windows 10, but the installation says I need to have 8GB of free space. Looking at the partition information, it says I only have 6GB free. How is that?

What can I need to delete?

Guardsix

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
This is a fresh install. There are no programs/apps other than what Win7 Pro installed. I don't even have an anti-virus or malware program installed.

I have ran Disk Cleanup several times, including cleaning system files. That doesn't seem to change much.

Thanks for your response.

Last edited:

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
that is super weird, Windows 7 should be able to fit into 20 GB of space.

Something is wrong... but I'm not sure what if this is a clean install.

Agreed, a Windows 7 ultimate should take only 15-18gb after updated. It's possable that you have Windows updates pending for install but, to take up 40-50 is crazy.

I have 2 laptops in my home and BOTH have a 60gb SSD in them....One is used every day with tons of apps including Office installed...and there is still 20+gb free...

Richardry

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Perhaps you still enable Superfetch. Try to disable it.

You can find it on ?Control Panel?, . under ?System and Security?, then ?Administrative Tools?. In the ?Services, right click ?Superfetch?, then ?Properties?, and expand the option ?Automatic? to click ?Disabled.? Finally, tap on the ?Stop? button below the box you clicked and click OK after it finishes the process.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes