How old is too old for an SSD

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yea, like a car the mileage in relation to its longevity usually counts more than the age. (of course a car left sitting will deteriorate more than an SSD left sitting but that's besides the point)

What's the SSD rated for? I hear SSD Life's trial or Open Hardware Monitor offers information you'll want to see.

My SSD is just shy of four years of age and it isn't giving any signs of kicking the bucket.

This specific SSD isn't giving the aforementioned tools enough information to assess its health in fine detail beyond "healthy" though. (and CrystalDiskInfo pegs total host writes at over 500 TB which I frankly don't believe.)

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Depending on the SSD, the MTBF can be quite high. I just looked for the best selling SSD on Newegg: https://forums.windowscentral.com/e....aspx%3FItem%3DN82E16820147373&token=oNAw3bf9

MTBF is 2M hours. Equating to about 228 years. Now, this is all theoretical, but I don't think you have anything to worry about. However (and I'm guilty of this), if this is a good excuse to upgrade or try a new SSD, go for it. The older SSD can act as a backup of your OS.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3