Given a PC- new to building and need help

Ty Hill

Jul 23, 2018
Visit site
Hey everyone-

I'm new to the gaming pc universe, and I was gifted a computer as a friend upgraded, that he played for a long time and ran great (i watched him play on it before, so he's not lying). The only thing I had to truly replace was the motherboard. After meeting with a friend who has built one before, we put the computer together, it started up, and I began downloading a few games (Fortnite, Overwatch) just to get me started with some that I loved on console.

Problem is, even though everything seemed to download and open great, the games themselves barely run. Frame-rate is atrocious, and incredibly jumpy and pixelated. I tried to run every game at their lowest possible setting, and still no luck.

All this to be said, I need some help as a complete newbie. I need help troubleshooting what the problem could be. I have no idea if it's hardware or software that's the problem- i'm willing and ready to download/purchase whatever I need to to make this work, I just don't know where the heck to start!

Thanks for reading everyone and I appreciate any (non-judgemental lol) help I can get!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone-

I'm new to the gaming pc universe, and I was gifted a computer as a friend upgraded, that he played for a long time and ran great (i watched him play on it before, so he's not lying). The only thing I had to truly replace was the motherboard. After meeting with a friend who has built one before, we put the computer together, it started up, and I began downloading a few games (Fortnite, Overwatch) just to get me started with some that I loved on console.

Problem is, even though everything seemed to download and open great, the games themselves barely run. Frame-rate is atrocious, and incredibly jumpy and pixelated. I tried to run every game at their lowest possible setting, and still no luck.

All this to be said, I need some help as a complete newbie. I need help troubleshooting what the problem could be. I have no idea if it's hardware or software that's the problem- i'm willing and ready to download/purchase whatever I need to to make this work, I just don't know where the heck to start!

Thanks for reading everyone and I appreciate any (non-judgemental lol) help I can get!

Welcome to the forums. Need to know some more info: What graphics card (GPU) do you have? How much RAM? Which CPU are you running?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2