Nokia 900 Lumia vs iPhone 4S

wayneholbrook

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Just want some of your thoughts.

While I realize this is a windows forum I wanted your objective thoughts on the Nokia 900 vs the iPhone 4S. Before anyone starts slamming me in ref to being an Apple fan boy I can tell you that I try all plat forms. I was a Blackberry addict for years, I tried Android but really didn't like it and I see a lot of potential in the windows plat form now.

The issue I have is when you compare the two phones (see link) Apple iPhone 4S vs Nokia Lumia 900 in Smartphones

You will see that the iPhone 4S was released almost 5 - 6 months ago but still beats out the new 900 in many of the categories. Look at the the total points on each device as well you'll see what I mean. While these reviews might not mean much because it always depends on each user and their needs its still bothers me that a new phone can be released and still not beat out older phones as far as specs are concerned.

Besides the specs, I do love the look and the larger screen on the 900. I do love where windows is going. To be honest, I am beginning to get bored with my iPhone as well. My issue is that I am so locked in that its going to be expensive to get out. I have the mac desktop, the mac air and the iPad, and iPhone. So it is the entire ecosystem that you get pulled into such as iCloud as well.

I explored windows live and the jury is still out because I need to learn more before I pass any judgements. Im interested in going to windows because its more friendly to use in the government field such as word, excel, etc.. Not to mention some websites that Safari cant run.

I wanted to know if there are any former iPhone users here and can let me know what they think of the Windows platform. After swapping over does anyone have any regrets or just some thoughts about the swap.

I wish I could just pick up the 900 and try it for a few weeks which is probably going to be what I will do. The issue is syncing with my Mac in the mean time. I think I can just upload contacts to the live.com but ill see.

I really want to change platforms again but I guess mi a little gun shy. I am constantly reading these forums to convince myself to just make the swap. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Alteran195

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
First of all I want to say that the spec difference is irrelevant, windows phone doesn't need the dual core processors and all that, it runs buttery smooth on the single core processors, better then almost all of the dual core phones I've played around with.

I switched from iPhone to a focus flash shortly before they announced the 900, and returned it so I could get the 900. The only thing I missed from ios was iCloud's automatic backup and OTA firmware updates. Skydive has potential to match that capability and I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft makes it happen.

Speaking of skydive, you can have all your pictures upload automatically, and can access anything you've uploaded on any device with the skydive app installed, even iOS devices.

The 900 is the best designed phone out there, I like it a lot more then my iPhone 4, and can't wait to get back to the windows phone platform.

welsbloke

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
The trouble is you really cannot compare the apples with the mangos it just does not work. What the 900 does is provide a competent peice of hardware to complement the Windows 7 OS.

The processor is more than OK for Windows 7 use.
The clear black display is great especially in bright light.
We have FFC for those that want it.
We have LTE for those that want it.

Both the Apple and Nokia device offer style. I think the Nokia wins on looks but the Apple still carries a much higher level of Kudos and that is important. Having said that with the skins and case colours the Nokia easily stands out.

duoFurious

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Current Iphone 4s and former wp7.5

First of all, sorry for the lengthy post, but since you're so invested I let myself drag on. I had the Focus for a while and mine was the one that got the mango update right away, not the other one that had to wait a while and still might be waiting (idk) but currently the main issue i have with iphone vs wp7 or even android at this point is the app support from devs and companies. For example, no official pandora (HUGE disappointment) i need this. Next would be the game support, i love the xbox live games, but there is no support for other things like grand theft auto 3 or words with friends and then support from platform games like the battle.net authenticator or SWTOR. Call of duty is one of the biggest games of all time and even their ELITE app isn't on wp7 to my knowledge. not to mention others. The other issue i had with windows was the lack of customization on the phone. Amazing experience, probably the best i've had on a phone since blackberry was king, but no custom text tones, no rom support on all devices, still having a locked bootloader to make things more difficult and no support from Windows (anymore) on this. If I remember correctly "chevron" unlocker is expired or not working on the new generation devices. SO as much as I am actually starting to get frustrated with my iPhone, mainly lack of screen size. I cant switch to WP7 again yet. Android is currently my only option and mainly because of Ubuntu for Android looking delicious. I want more from Wp7 because i Loved it from the start but I need more.

doublebullout

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I alternate between using an iPhone 4 and an LG Quantum as my daily phone, so I believe I can be objective about the strengths and weaknesses of both platforms. (Bear with me, and I apologize in advance for the length.) Trying to decide which hardware is "better" misses the point. IMO, there are really only two meaningful differences between using an iPhone and using any WP7 phone:

(1) The "ecosystem" that Apple has constructed with iOS -- which ties together Mac OSX, iPhones, iPads, Apple TVs, iCloud, iTunes and the iTunes Store -- is the most seamless and robust ecosystem currently available. It will be that way for a good while, too, because Apple has been building this closed ecosystem for 5 years, perhaps a little longer. Google's ecosystem has a lot of features, but it isn't coherent, nor does a "closed ecosystem" fit with Google's self-proclaimed mission. Microsoft has the resources to challenge Apple, but Microsoft is several years behind with a lot of catching up ahead.

(2) The iPhone is like a Swiss army knife. Need a knife blade? Got an app for that. Need scissors? Use this app. Nail file? That's a different app. Maybe you don't have a saw blade, but wish you did. Well, just download the saw blade and expand your Swiss army knife phone. This makes the iPhone the most versatile mobile device on the market, and it really isn't as close a competition as Android or WP7 users would like to think. By contrast, though, a WP7 phone is like a Control Center. The live tiles are like an instrument panel. The integration between apps (for example, the People hub) enables quick, spontaneous reaction. Sometimes there is more than 1 path in WP7 to accomplish the same task. WP7 is less about what the user can DO with the phone and more about what the user can GET DONE with the phone. iOS is centered on actions while WP7 is centered on efficiency.

Those are the two differentiators. Ecosystem and purpose. Unfortunately for Microsoft, Apple's head start on the ecosystem has paid off in a big way. Unfortunately for Apple, Microsoft is trying to shift the paradigm for mobile device usage from individual apps towards a more holistic whole. As for me, I'll readily admit that I haven't decided yet which phone platform I like best. There are days when I get tired of having to open an app everytime I need some information, so I switch over to WP7. Then there are days when I get tired of not being able to do something because WP7 either doesn't have an app for it yet or because the iOS app is superior to its WP7 counterpart or because WP7 doesn't fit effectively in my Apple-based ecosystem, so I switch back to iOS.

Bottom line for me: The iPhone is a better mobile device, but a WP7 phone is a better phone.

Again, I apologize for the lengthy post, but I hope that it's been helpful.

Sent from my The New iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I will buy that. I went from Focus to 4S because I felt ios was a little further along. WP is definitely better from the "it just works" phone standpoint, and the email and keyboard functions are much better. The people hub is also better than iOS contacts.

With that said WP has some great facets, and it will be interesting to see what happens.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital