MS PDF app problems

typhon62_1

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm new to WP8 and have a Nokia Lumia 920 I'm trying to get used to and set up.

I'm having problems when clicking on a link in IE that points to a pdf file.
If I select the pdf link a window pops open with a "Tap to open" icon on it.
I tap on the "Tap to open" icon and the MS PDF viewer opens, but then pops right to a error saying "Unable to open document".

I've un-installed and re-installed the MS PDF viewer and I see the same thing. If the pdf file is physically on the phone it opens no problem.
Does anyone know why this isn't working for me?

Thanks!

grahamerr

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I think I figured out why PDF's downloaded from the web wont open.

If the file name (.PDF) has any spaces, the IE browser that comes with the phone will add a, %20, anywhere in a url that has a space. Causing the app either, PDF Reader or Adobe Reader, unable to find the proper path. Certain characters in the file name will be replace with a %**. UTF code.

Try downloading a 1040ez form from the irs.gov. You will successfully be able to download on your phone via the browser. (make sure you have Adobe or PDF Reader installed). So downloading PDF from the web is possible on your WP8.

So if you have access to change the file name of a pdf that you are having troubles opening on your phone, try removing the spaces in the file name and try again.

Until Microsoft or the PDF readers comes out with an update to ignore spaces, or in the PDF app case, understand the UTF Code, or let you save a PDF File on your phone, you will have to:

1) downloading the pdf on a desktop re-saving it removing spaces in the file name and email it to yourself.

2) Upload the PDF to your Skydrive and open the PDf via Office.

etc

Im sure there are other ways that I have not listed.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes