Specs are relatively unimportant. What matters is the overall experience. Specs have not increased appreciably that last while, as it has somewhat plateaued.

The important difference between the Icon and the S7 is WP vs Android. Make sure you're ready to do that. And if you do get and Android, you won't find much better specs than the S7 anyway.
    09-13-2016 10:05 AM
    tgp is correct, much of the hardware related specs have plateaued. Major difference will be WINDOWS TO ANDROID transition. S7 edge will be my choice too :) or you can hold your horses until samsung releases S8 next year, rumors are flying . MOre here> Galaxy S8 release date | New Samsung S8 price UK | Galaxy S8 spec rumours - New Product - PC Advisor
    tgp likes this.
    09-13-2016 10:10 AM
    That's it then! After years of support and love for the Windows Mobile family, I'm about the leave the ecosystem for my personal use.can imagine - as such all my work is also Microsoft-focused - but for the daily-personal-phone-use I'm switching to Android.

It's the little things together. Quality of regional/national apps is going down rapidly or retreating entirely. Missing apps from all kinds of services are bugging me more and more. Also stability of the OS and apps is not what it is anymore. And Microsoft pulling plugs publicly also doesn't help.

Don't get me wrong - I will continue to use all other Microsoft products, including but not limited to the MS Band, Xbox, Surface, and all software you

While I still love the OS and really believe it's the best of current 3 out there, on personal use I have to pull back. I will continue to use my 950XL in business though - showing off Continuum and the ecosystem as a whole still beats it.

But I feel I can finally play around again. Having the VR stuff (and not just 1 or 2 apps and a crappy holder), and all major decent apps, will feel as a relieve. Gain info and control on the car by mobile phone. Watch TV and other previously DRM-blocked content, actually working biometric security and all, on my new S7 Edge. I'm curious. Ofcourse it'll have cons as well, and the least I 'trust' is Google/Android, but I'm curious what it'll bring me.

While keeping the 950XL for business purposes on the side, I'll keep my interest and see what happens next. but for some reason, all recent reports really got to me. Am I really loosing faith in Microsoft on this part?
    Sad, but I'm with ya. I got a Note 7 and am very pleased - but it's not the beauty of MS W10M. I'll just be switching my sim back and forth between the Note 7 and my ICON so I can keep up with Insider Updates and keep my head in the MS game.

Bad part is there's just so much Google and Verizon on that Note 7. You gotta jump through hoops to turn it off.

Peace. Alan
    ICON 929 [Win10 M, Insider Preview, Redstone 2, 14915.1000.] for now.
    09-13-2016 10:32 AM
    Honestly i would give it another few weeks. Google's new phone is going to be announced soon and ship early Oct. That's what I'm waiting for.
    09-13-2016 11:21 AM
    My life is currently top-to-bottom embedded in the Microsoft ecosystem. I use Outlook.com for email calendar and contacts. I use OneDrive for photo and video uploads. I use Cortana for reminders and OneNote for note-taking.

Does anything jump out as not being compatible on Android? My understanding is that everything should still be supported. I wonder about text messages, which are currently backed up and restored on my Windows Phone. Is there a way to migrate those to android? Does Android back them up as well?
    09-13-2016 11:51 AM
    My life is currently top-to-bottom embedded in the Microsoft ecosystem. I use Outlook.com for email calendar and contacts. I use OneDrive for photo and video uploads. I use Cortana for reminders and OneNote for note-taking.
    Most Microsoft services work just as well, if not better, on Android and iOS than on Windows Phone. The one glaring exception is Cortana. Google Now can replace Cortana, but it seems that many users who move from WP are hesitant to use Google's services any more than necessary, which cripples Google Now's usefulness. The other thing to remember is that it will take some work to set up Microsoft's services, since they're not built in or native. Once they're set up and configured, you're good to go.

There are many solutions for backing up and restoring text messages on Android. Take your pick. The only thing I'm not sure about is if you want to transfer them from your Windows Phone and import them to Android.
    Laura Knotek, libra89 and mark233 like this.
    09-13-2016 12:03 PM
    I was under the impression that Cortana for Android was capable of replacing Google Now on Android phones. What are the major shortcomings you are aware of?
    09-13-2016 01:10 PM
    I was under the impression that Cortana for Android was capable of replacing Google Now on Android phones. What are the major shortcomings you are aware of?
    Cortana can replace Google Now on Android, but since it is not native it does not have the deep integration that it has on Windows Phone, or that Google Now has on Android. I haven't used Cortana on Android for awhile though, so it may have advanced since the last time I did. Cortana on Android could not open apps or toggle settings for example. Cortana on Android has some interaction with Windows 10 though, like it does on WP. You'd have to ask someone who is actually replacing Google Now with Cortana though for more specific examples. I primarily use Google Now .

But no matter each PA's capabilities, they cannot equal each other on a non-native platform. However, Google Now on Android is quite similar to Cortana on WP. Each has some capabilities that the other does not, but overall I would say they're roughly equal.

I'll highlight one advanatage for each:

Cortana - it has a personality. Google Now is (almost) all business. I enjoy asking Cortana to tell me a joke for example.

Google Now - I find it much more accurate and dependable than Cortana. For example, one complaint of Cortana is spotty package and flight tracking. Google Now is virtually flawless in that department. Yesterday my parents were flying, and on their way to the airport my mom emailed me their itinerary from American Airlines. Within a minute, their flights were on the Google Now widget on my home screen.
    libra89 and mark233 like this.
    09-13-2016 01:32 PM
    Most Microsoft services work just as well, if not better, on Android and iOS than on Windows Phone. The one glaring exception is Cortana. Google Now can replace Cortana, but it seems that many users who move from WP are hesitant to use Google's services any more than necessary, which cripples Google Now's usefulness. The other thing to remember is that it will take some work to set up Microsoft's services, since they're not built in or native. Once they're set up and configured, you're good to go.

There are many solutions for backing up and restoring text messages on Android. Take your pick. The only thing I'm not sure about is if you want to transfer them from your Windows Phone and import them to Android.
    Thank you for that. That makes me feel better. Le'me ask you this - how do I get my "People" listings from my ICON to my Note 7?
    Thanks.

Peace. Alan
    ICON 929 [Win10 M, Insider Preview, Redstone 2, 14915.1000.]
    09-13-2016 02:29 PM
    Le'me ask you this - how do I get my "People" listings from my ICON to my Note 7?
    That I cannot help you with. I haven't used WP for a couple months now, before the recent iterations of W10M were released. That is, unless you're talking about contacts. If they're in your Microsoft account, you should be able to log in to it on Android.
    09-13-2016 03:45 PM
    That I cannot help you with. I haven't used WP for a couple months now, before the recent iterations of W10M were released. That is, unless you're talking about contacts. If they're in your Microsoft account, you should be able to log in to it on Android.
    MS calls it People now not Contacts anymore. Ok, thanks. Gives me somethin' to trackdown.

Peace. Alan
    09-13-2016 03:56 PM
    MS calls it People now not Contacts anymore. Ok, thanks. Gives me somethin' to trackdown.

Peace. Alan
    In my experience, it works well when you add your microsoft account as an exchange account, and set up manually. Basically, follow this:

https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/andr...osoft-accounts

As a chronic switcher between iOS and Android, I have no issues when doing this.
    09-13-2016 04:48 PM
    In my experience, it works well when you add your microsoft account as an exchange account, and set up manually. Basically, follow this:

https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/andr...osoft-accounts

As a chronic switcher between iOS and Android, I have no issues when doing this.
    I seem to remember you from somewhere around here. THANKS!

Peace. Alan
    libra89 and RumoredNow like this.
    09-13-2016 05:20 PM
    Hi all
    What with the band situation and all, Microsoft does test its faithful these days.
    If the Surface phone, when it comes, won't sync my one drive from either memory or an SD card, allow me to run Any W10 pro App under continuum and allow me to pay in the UK, it will be Apple phones and watches for me in the new year
    Roger Stenson
    09-15-2016 05:07 AM
    The software is distinct from the hardware - no mythical or real phone will solve the problems if the software isn't ready. So the real question is when those features will come - that's what the feedback hub is for
    Shamshi-Adad likes this.
    09-15-2016 06:23 AM
    Argh, I keep flip flopping as to whether or not I want to stick with WM or switch to Android. I currently have the 635 running 8.1 and I'm considering the 650. I'm not a heavy phone user and pretty much have all the apps I need but with the lack of support and all the negative stuff going on, I just don't know if I should switch or not. I prefer WM over any other phone OS and I would hate to lose the integration but it feels like WM users are fighting a losing battle.

The one question I do have is how buggy is W10M? I keep reading conflicting things about how bad it is. How less stable is it than 8.1 and has there been significant improvement since its release?
    09-15-2016 09:29 AM
    The software is distinct from the hardware - no mythical or real phone will solve the problems if the software isn't ready. So the real question is when those features will come - that's what the feedback hub is for
    ... where a machine learning algorithm will overlook any truly interesting requests and only focus on the common denominator. /cynicism
    09-15-2016 10:05 AM
    Argh, I keep flip flopping as to whether or not I want to stick with WM or switch to Android. I currently have the 635 running 8.1 and I'm considering the 650. I'm not a heavy phone user and pretty much have all the apps I need but with the lack of support and all the negative stuff going on, I just don't know if I should switch or not. I prefer WM over any other phone OS and I would hate to lose the integration but it feels like WM users are fighting a losing battle.

The one question I do have is how buggy is W10M? I keep reading conflicting things about how bad it is. How less stable is it than 8.1 and has there been significant improvement since its release?
    Some people will tell you that W10m is rock-solid and perfect, while others will tell you it's the buggiest OS in existence, but those opinions may or may not align with your own assessments of the OS after using it. I remember back when 10586 was first released, there were people actually crowing about how "perfect" it was, and maybe for them, it was. When I tried it though, holy crap, it was BAD, just pure garbage. For me, it didn't start to get decent until .318. That being said, I personally feel that W10m/RS1 is now pretty stable to use on some phones, like the Lumia 640, but again, you should view personal assessments with some skepticism. If I were you, I would consider trialing the 650, and if you decide it's too buggy, simply return it.
    Shamshi-Adad and libra89 like this.
    09-15-2016 12:04 PM

Stick with WM
    Shamshi-Adad likes this.
    09-15-2016 12:54 PM
    Stick with WM
    To me, when Nadella showed off his Iphone running Outlook, that was the beginning of the end.

Out of iOS, Android and WM10, I love Windows OS the best. Problem is, they have great devices and an outstanding OS, but without the access to the latest and best formed apps - it's a moot point. Samsung, Apple and LG now all have very respectable hardware; what they are lacking in OS enjoyment is more than compensated for by the quality of the apps.

On the other hand, MS offering great devices with an outstanding OS but no access to apps is like opening a movie theater with the best seats, best food, best projection equipment - then telling everyone that all they're going to show are interesting and eclectic Canadian films..no blockbusters. (hehe no offense to Canada).
    09-15-2016 01:46 PM
    On the other hand, MS offering great devices with an outstanding OS but no access to apps is like opening a movie theater with the best seats, best food, best projection equipment - then telling everyone that all they're going to show are interesting and eclectic Canadian films..no blockbusters. (hehe no offense to Canada).
    Wow that is a powerful analogy!
    09-15-2016 02:17 PM
    I'm 68 and have been in Telecom and IT LAN/WAN my whole life and have always thought of myself as a Windows "MS" guy.
    I pretty much had no feelings about Apple, but I LOVED GOOGLE in the early days.
    I always felt annoyed with those who felt obliged to hate all things to do with and about Microsoft.
    Due to the nature of my jobs I embraced smartphones straightaway. The Palm Treos, the Blackberries, the myriad whatevers, then Androids THEN iPhones. I was always in a position to purchase any model any size memory I wanted, companies always payed. My first LOVE was the Palm Treo then my 2nd love was the HTC Thunderbolt (Android). But I never hated anything in particular. They all got the job done.
    I didn't discover the Windows Phone until about a month before I retired. So I told my company I wanted the LUMIA ICON WP8 at the time, from Verizon. They said ok and that's the phone I carried into retirement with me.
    WHY? Because I'd become absolutely enchanted with the concept of the Windows Ecosystem. Windows Laptops, Windows Tablets and Windows Phones.
    Well my ICON is now [Win10 M, Insider Preview, Redstone 2, 14926.1000.] no longer WP8. And I love to drive it. Everything I need it has.

It also hit me that "I" was a hater now. I HATED all things Google, Android and Apple. AND I had hated them for quite a while. I didn't like finding that out about myself. MY 2nd LOVE was an ANDROID, REMEMBER?

Cool old people don't like to hate things pointlessly - and I'm kewl So I've decided to "embrace-it-all". I'm keeping my ICON AND I've bought the sexiest, hottest Android Phablet, the Samsung Galaxy Note 7. And it's SHWWEEEEEEET!!!

I'm retired so I can do what I want and I'll just keep on driving BOTH - switching back and forth whenever I feel like it. I STILL LOVE Windows 10 M, but I also now LOVE my Android.

Peace. Alan
    ICON 929 [Win10 M, Insider Preview, Redstone 2, 14926.1000.]
    09-15-2016 02:21 PM
    That weird moment when you are thinking about if you should update your Windows Mobile and your iPhone. I caved for the former, but I'm on the fence of the latter. Never thought that I would be here

iOS 10 has so much, but I really don't care for any of the messaging stuff. I'll probably update at some point though.
    09-15-2016 08:22 PM
    Why not do the iPhone now and wait for what the OEMs may come out with over the next year for Windows?

Peace. Alan
    09-16-2016 08:27 AM
    Why not do the iPhone now and wait for what the OEMs may come out with over the next year for Windows?

Peace. Alan
    Yeah, I'll see. I haven't used my iPhone as a phone in weeks now. Since my Honor 8 is my daily driver at the moment, I'm indifferent. I still have my Lumia 640, which I updated. I'm curious what will come next.
    Shamshi-Adad and RumoredNow like this.
    09-16-2016 11:39 AM
5,463 ... 125126127128129 ...