04-02-2018 10:30 AM
5,481 ... 132133134135136 ...
tools
    I too have just switched from a Verizon Icon/929, and unlike some of the recent posters, I am finding the transition to Android Galaxy S7 difficult.

Pros:
    • S7 is a great phone
    • Wireless Charging (enough said!)
    • Camera comes on instantly and no delay when taking photos
    • Camera quality is awesome
    • GPS lock on instantly AND DOESN'T DROP
    • There is an app for everything. Sometimes Apps are better than mobile websites, and oftentimes there are not substitutes

But as for the rest:
    • W10M just worked. In Android, and especially on non-google hardware, there are multiple options for everything. SMS (Verizon Messages, Messages, or other third party). It is worse for email where Samsung has their app, or you can use GMAIL, or anything else. Choice is good, but they all have different widgets styles. No consistency in the software.
    • There is no replacement for Live Tiles in Android. People have tried to work around it but it requires special software, insane customization, or a bastardization of a home screen
    • Many of the third party apps are better than android (Zonos, Huetro, etc)
    • People say that MS apps on Android are just as good. That is not my belief. I have yet to find a substitute for MS Weather (it is not as good on Android), and the same for MS News
    • Cortana is awesome. It does not work as well as Android version
    • And the big one is if you are tied to MS Services like live.com our outlook.com, then I have not yet found great solutions in Android. Outlook for Android (mail) is good (Accompli) but there are still gaps. For instance, I can't figure out a way to 'pin' individual mailboxes to my home screen (I have several different email addresses I monitor).
    • I have yet to find an app that works with my love.com calendar. I have multiple calendars in my account (family, personal, kids) and when I try other calendar apps they all show up as the same color when I connect the service.
    • My SO and I share contact lists through her outlook.com address. In W10M, I could add her outlook.com account but exclude everything but contacts. In Android, I and add the service, but her account still shows up on some of the many email apps.
      I have

I'd like to hear how others have addressed the cons, especially when integrating outlook.com services.
    10-24-2016 07:06 AM
    Bought a Pixel XL on Friday from Best Buy just to try it out... All I can say is WOW. I have never used a phone so responsive and just lag free. You touch and it does with out fail. I have used a lot of devices this year and performance wise there is no comparison for me. Might stick this out for a bit and see what happens and wait to see what Microsoft does or does not do.

The Pixel UI is not bad, it is an adjustment and trying to find substitutes for live tiles. Also DTTW and wireless charging are the things I am missing so far.
    10-24-2016 11:31 AM
    But as for the rest:
    • W10M just worked. In Android, and especially on non-google hardware, there are multiple options for everything. SMS (Verizon Messages, Messages, or other third party). It is worse for email where Samsung has their app, or you can use GMAIL, or anything else. Choice is good, but they all have different widgets styles. No consistency in the software.
    • There is no replacement for Live Tiles in Android. People have tried to work around it but it requires special software, insane customization, or a bastardization of a home screen
    • Cortana is awesome. It does not work as well as Android version
    • And the big one is if you are tied to MS Services like live.com our outlook.com, then I have not yet found great solutions in Android. Outlook for Android (mail) is good (Accompli) but there are still gaps. For instance, I can't figure out a way to 'pin' individual mailboxes to my home screen (I have several different email addresses I monitor)
    Nice list. I've been compiling a comparison of WP with Android and iOS, and the things you list are on there as well. The pinning of groups of mail boxes is great, and I also like that they show the 'number of messages since you last looked'. If you spot any more OS level differences it would be great if you could comment on the OS thread.
    10-24-2016 11:32 AM
    I too have just switched from a Verizon Icon/929, and unlike some of the recent posters, I am finding the transition to Android Galaxy S7 difficult.

But as for the rest:
    • People say that MS apps on Android are just as good. That is not my belief. I have yet to find a substitute for MS Weather (it is not as good on Android), and the same for MS News
    • And the big one is if you are tied to MS Services like live.com our outlook.com, then I have not yet found great solutions in Android. Outlook for Android (mail) is good (Accompli) but there are still gaps. For instance, I can't figure out a way to 'pin' individual mailboxes to my home screen (I have several different email addresses I monitor).
    • My SO and I share contact lists through her outlook.com address. In W10M, I could add her outlook.com account but exclude everything but contacts. In Android, I and add the service, but her account still shows up on some of the many email apps.
      I have

I'd like to hear how others have addressed the cons, especially when integrating outlook.com services.
    I can try to help you with your cons.
    -There are launchers to give you that Live Tile look, such as Square Home (I think?) Of course, it wouldn't be totally the same, but some apps can provide somewhat of a live tile experience.
    -This is app dependent.
    -You can't do that on any platform as far as I know. The only possible workaround would be for a third-party app that allows you to do that via widgets, but I personally don't know of any.
    -There is a way you can do this actually. You have to add her account manually and only leave the box to sync contacts checked. Just follow this: Android for the Windows Guy: Use Your Microsoft Accounts.

Also, pro tip: allow Gmail to have all permissions or else you'll have a screwed up calendar. My everything is Microsoft, email addresses, calendar hosted in Outlook, OneDrive (camera upload), and I use all of that just fine on my Honor 8. Otherwise, I'm not sure about the other things, but I hope someone will be able to help you with them.
    10-24-2016 12:17 PM
    People say that MS apps on Android are just as good. That is not my belief. I have yet to find a substitute for MS Weather (it is not as good on Android), and the same for MS News
    I had installed MS News & Weather on my Android and not quite liking them I uninstalled them.Now I am using Accuweather on my Android phone since it gives accurate forecasts for my region . For news,I had the Times of India app on my Windows Phone in addition to MS News , and I use it on my Android phone too.There is a Google News and Weather app in Play Store which you can try out.
    I too miss the live tiles very much - could see everything on the Startscreen itself.
    I use Office lens,OneNote & OneDrive on Android and I am not having any problems with these.
    I have set apps to sync in the Cortana Preview app on my Android (No Cortana app on Android in India) and it syncs well with my laptop.But over all,I find W10 more user friendly on mobile than Android.
    Last edited by Rinsun; 10-24-2016 at 01:00 PM.
    libra89, Laura Knotek and mark233 like this.
    10-24-2016 12:49 PM
    Could you use 2 of the email apps. One for each account? I think I like Outlook the best but it doesn't come up with a number of new messages over the icon, so I'm testing out Samsung's "Email" (seriously, who comes up with these names) at the same time.

You can try that Arrow Launcher or Next Lock screen to get a more WP feel, but it's just not the same. I've been on this for a week and one day and I think I just need to give up on live tiles.

Cortana was the other top thing I loved about WP. I'm using her on Android, but I'm now using "OK Google" for my day to day reminders, appointments and hands free functions.

Check out these articles (I've read a lot of articles and played around with a bunch of apps):

https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/andr...ogle-app-picks

and

https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/android

Otherwise:

1. W10M just worked...

It didn't for me. That send text delay is really part of what made me switch.

2. There is no replacement for Live Tiles in Android...

Yeah, there isn't. Don't even try.

3. Many of the third party apps are better than android (Zonos, Huetro, etc)...MS Weather (it is not as good on Android), and the same for MS News....

I agree, especially on the lock screen. MS Weather didn't work on my lock screen anymore. Also, it was consistently 5 degrees off on the weather where I live. I tried to find something that would give me a good forecast on the icon, but it was just bigger icons of date, time and temperature.

4. Cortana is awesome. It does not work as well as Android version

TOTALLY AGREE. Now hoping MS finishes it off for Android.

5. And the big one is if you are tied to MS Services like live.com our outlook.com...

AGREE. I like having just 1 inbox, so this doesn't affect me as much.

6. I have yet to find an app that works with my love.com calendar. I have multiple calendars in my account (family, personal, kids) and when I try other calendar apps they all show up as the same color when I connect the service...

I haven't had this problem, but my important calendar is an Exchange acccount. This is actually one of the areas that I like outook better. Being able to stretch an event to adjust time is way better than the slot machine dials.

7. My SO and I share contact lists through her outlook.com address....

No idea here. I think Exchange shields me from some of this. You can share contacts in Exchange or Hotmail itself (I think) between 2 separate accounts.

If anyone else has some suggestions please comment. Still trying to make this thing mine.
    Laura Knotek and Rinsun like this.
    10-24-2016 02:15 PM
    I just recently purchased a ZTE Axon 7. I've been switching back and forth between Android and W10M for the past year, and I just had to come to grips with the fact that Android isn't W10M. Android is different, and some things about the OS are a chore, but it offers soooo much more functionality and support, that its hard to look back. From a hardware standpoint, the Axon 7 (A midrange smartphone) is leagues above the 950 XL in everything but the camera. Once you get over the fact that Android doesn't have the same start screen as Windows Phone, the reasons to go back to Windows Phone fade away.
    10-24-2016 02:38 PM
    After a entire month (almost 2), I'm considering switching back to my iPhone as a daily driver (with maybe trying to use the Lumia 550 for a bit?). The middle ground is so hard to find for me. The Honor 8 is a great phone, but I'm tired of it being a purse phone. I have had a lot of fun stuff going on this month, and it's been annoying to think about where I will put my phone that still allows me to have easy access to it. I prefer pockets.

As much as I would ideally like to try a Pixel, financing just isn't a smart option for me at this point in time. The Z5 Compact is still high (which is funny), and the X Compact is higher than what I would pay for a phone (personally, it is the same deal for the Pixel too lol).
    10-25-2016 02:22 PM
    October 26, 2016
    Wednesday

After five long years with Windows Phone it is with a heavy heart that I switch to an Apple iPhone.

During those years I have stood beside my Windows Phones, even though they weren't perfect, it was memorable. The day I graduated and started adulthood is a lifetime Trophy I'll always remember. The best friend whom I've lost will forever and always be a Titan by my side. I still remember Sea Rays gracefully swimming in aquariums, and the day cupid shot an Arrow through my heart. We laughed at jokes and baked lots of Phi. Sometimes life can feel like a Catwalk, and a glass full of Martini usually helps. And yet here I am now, an adult, living in a city wearing suits and ties, working. A Cityman.

Today marks the last for this chapter, but not the end of the story.

Until next time.
    10-25-2016 06:30 PM
    Both my wife and I own Lumia 640s, but she's ready to switch to an Android phone that supports a stylus and I'm starting to feel the same way. I wish there were a Windows Phone with stylus support, because it would make OneNote awesome to use, but there isn't.

Microsoft's recent push toward the enterprise market with their phones feels like it leaves the average consumer out in the cold. Yes, the current devices will work for talk, text and web browsing, but the app gap is getting worse. WP lost Mint a long time ago, eBay and Amazon left recently and we never received Pokmon Go. I don't ask for a whole lot, but those are some big losses. I miss my eBay notifications and it doesn't feel right that one of the biggest software companies in the world lacks small applications.

These complaints aren't anything new. It's too bad the Galaxy Note 7 blew up the way it did, because I probably would have bought a pair of Note 5's, but the prices on those have gone up, so I'm in waiting mode. Part of me wants to try a Lumia 950 XL in the meantime, but the future isn't looking food. I'll probably wait until Samsung's next release for prices on something to drop or maybe Microsoft will have done something significant by then to excuse getting another WP device.
    10-25-2016 06:52 PM
    Check out "Square Home 2" in the Play Store. It's got so many options that you can make it almost an exact copy of your windows phone interface. Best 4.99 I have spent in a long time.
    I tried it. It doesn't feel the same to me as Windows Phone; it just feels like an add-on with almost no value other than aesthetics (and it misses by a bit on that). What I liked about the WinPhone OS was the unified approach to fonts, styles, etc., in the various utilities and apps. Square Home 2 makes the front door look similar, but once you walk in the door you realize it's just a facade.
    10-26-2016 10:49 AM
    Just watched the MS Fall event, and not a single mention of Mobile, not one. Just why do they think people will keep using their phones without any future information going forward?

Guess I will just hold my nose and go back to Android, much as I hate it (HATE Apple even worse), for the time being till MS gets their collective heads out.
    Player Piano and Shamshi-Adad like this.
    10-26-2016 11:17 AM
    Just ordered a LG V20. If MS had mentioned anything of a X86 processor phone I would have stuck with my old Note 3 until it came out. So after my Lumia 920 I got the Note 3 (close to 2 years ago) and now I am pretty much with Android another 2 years. I guess I still have Launcher Pro 8 so I can make it look like a Windows Phone.
    libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    10-26-2016 02:26 PM
    After moving from iOS from the introduction of the lumia 920 to the lumia 1020 because ive always been in love with the industrial design and the beauty and simplicity of the os, im very disappointed that the 1020 is not getting win10. This has prompted me to move back to ios who seem to care more about their users. We all know the 1020 can run win 10 but ms is in a bid to sell the crap designed 950 thus hindering the update for 1020. Farewell win os. Thanks for the camerA which my phone basically is now
    10-26-2016 03:42 PM
    Well, after several months of great wailing and gnashing of teeth over my first Note 7 being recalled and then my 2nd Note 7 being recalled I settled in comfortably with the Galaxy S7 Edge. The S7Edge isn't the "carnival" the Note 7 was. The S7Edge is a deluxe daily driver, and I do mean deluxe, but calm and executive like. I love the edge panels and bought 2 more so I don't have to scroll through pages, I can stay in the app I'm in, swipe out the Edge panel 1,2,3,4 and view my apps, pick one, that way while the app I'm in remains on the desktop. The color's brilliant, screen only slightly smaller than the Note 7, and using the browser in horizontal mode NEVER requires that I need the mobile site version. PLUS the browser remembers that I want the full screen. I quite like it.

BUT, I just loaded 14955.1000 on my "mint" condition ICON.

Sooooooo...... Just saying I'm back.

Galaxy S7E [ MM6.01 ] Daily Driver
    Lumia ICON [ 14955.1000 ] Daily Toy

Peace. Alan
    10-26-2016 04:56 PM
    Well, after several months of great wailing and gnashing of teeth over my first Note 7 being recalled and then my 2nd Note 7 being recalled I settled in comfortably with the Galaxy S7 Edge. The S7Edge isn't the "carnival" the Note 7 was. The S7Edge is a deluxe daily driver, and I do mean deluxe, but calm and executive like. I love the edge panels and bought 2 more so I don't have to scroll through pages, I can stay in the app I'm in, swipe out the Edge panel 1,2,3,4 and view my apps, pick one, that way while the app I'm in remains on the desktop. The color's brilliant, screen only slightly smaller than the Note 7, and using the browser in horizontal mode NEVER requires that I need the mobile site version. PLUS the browser remembers that I want the full screen. I quite like it.

BUT, I just loaded 14955.1000 on my "mint" condition ICON.

Sooooooo...... Just saying I'm back.

Peace. Alan
    Glad that you are liking your Edge!
    It's funny that you mention the Icon as your daily toy, I like that haha.

So I got a smartband thing recently and after a week and some days, I didn't wear it yesterday because I didn't want the buzzing notifications of Bluetooth disconnects since I was using the Lumia 550. I didn't know this could happen but I got used to it so not having it track my steps all day and just sleep feels wrong. The Lumia 550 is idealistically my device in size and customization options but not having the app to track my steps, makes it a no go as a daily driver, along with some other things. I like to play with it though daily lol.

Back on the iPhone.
    Laura Knotek and Shamshi-Adad like this.
    10-27-2016 07:31 AM
    Glad that you are liking your Edge!
    It's funny that you mention the Icon as your daily toy, I like that haha.

So I got a smartband thing recently and after a week and some days, I didn't wear it yesterday because I didn't want the buzzing notifications of Bluetooth disconnects since I was using the Lumia 550. I didn't know this could happen but I got used to it so not having it track my steps all day and just sleep feels wrong. The Lumia 550 is idealistically my device in size and customization options but not having the app to track my steps, makes it a no go as a daily driver, along with some other things. I like to play with it though daily lol.

Back on the iPhone.
    Well, Laura, I guess you don't have the luxury I do of carrying both phones around with you and playing all day long with/at anything you want - but if you just luv that 550 the way I luv my ICON you know you don't need to pay monthly for a sim for it, you can just run it on wifi and do app updates, Insider updates, emails, texts and everything but make calls on it (maybe Skype ?)

Anyway that's tough luck on the smartband and not being able to silence the Bluetooth alarm. Do you HAVE to have Bluetooth set to ON on your phone for other uses. If you really don't maybe Offing it would OFF the alarms from your smartband.

Just keep havin' fun

Peace. Alan
    10-27-2016 09:58 AM
    Well, Laura, I guess you don't have the luxury I do of carrying both phones around with you and playing all day long with/at anything you want - but if you just luv that 550 the way I luv my ICON you know you don't need to pay monthly for a sim for it, you can just run it on wifi and do app updates, Insider updates, emails, texts and everything but make calls on it (maybe Skype ?)

Anyway that's tough luck on the smartband and not being able to silence the Bluetooth alarm. Do you HAVE to have Bluetooth set to ON on your phone for other uses. If you really don't maybe Offing it would OFF the alarms from your smartband.

Just keep havin' fun

Peace. Alan
    Haha, I think you meant Libra xd

Carrying two phones doesn't fit my lifestyle, since I like to only have the necessary things. Exactly what you said is what I plan to do. Use it on wifi and update stuff but no Insider, I'm good. I don't think I can do that (silencing the alarm thing unless I turn off the watch altogether). I only use Bluetooth for this smartband. It's weird how we can become attached to stuff in a short amount of time.

I know some might wonder why have the band if it doesn't support Windows 10 Mobile? Well, if someone gives you something nice, you would want to try it right? That's what I did, and I find myself liking the addition to my life, especially for the sleep tracking.

Phones are fun, I don't want to use so much of my energy thinking about shortcomings of the phones I own lol. The irony in all this is that Tapatalk notifications are weak on the iPhone (not there at all on mTalk, aside from private messages), and excellent on Android. :/
    Laura Knotek and Shamshi-Adad like this.
    10-27-2016 10:12 AM
    Just watched the MS Fall event, and not a single mention of Mobile, not one. Just why do they think people will keep using their phones without any future information going forward?
    They don't. As Paul Thurrott has said (love him or hate him, I think on this point he's right): MS is keeping Windows Phone artificially alive until "the next big thing" hits, and they're hoping they can ride the wave of "the next big thing" and maybe mobile will have a place in that. The obvious guess is the next wave will be something like a Continuum dock, but more complete; your phone is your PC, your PC is your phone - no longer having two devices. It will get there, it's really a matter of when. The problem with that is UWP apps haven't taken off as expected, still leaving MS behind if that really is the next big thing. Chromebooks will eventually be as functional as PCs and they have the apps. It may be too late for MS, but that's why they are making themselves into a cloud provider - it's a way to survive. Plus, their cloud can provide the backend for all these apps.

Windows phone is effectively dead, Windows is becoming more and more a niche provider (it'll take years to fully get there, but the Creators Update is anticipating that), and unless MS can get apps for their platform, eventually Android/Chrome will be the major consumer OS. I'm not really sure how Apple fits into the picture, because while they have the mobile OS, they have never had much of a desktop market share and the bit they have MS is going after hard with the Windows 10 Creators Update.

It's fascinating to watch, esp. if you don't get too hung up on platforms and take it personally.
    10-27-2016 01:53 PM
    Haha, I think you meant Libra xd

Carrying two phones doesn't fit my lifestyle, since I like to only have the necessary things. Exactly what you said is what I plan to do. Use it on wifi and update stuff but no Insider, I'm good. I don't think I can do that (silencing the alarm thing unless I turn off the watch altogether). I only use Bluetooth for this smartband. It's weird how we can become attached to stuff in a short amount of time.

I know some might wonder why have the band if it doesn't support Windows 10 Mobile? Well, if someone gives you something nice, you would want to try it right? That's what I did, and I find myself liking the addition to my life, especially for the sleep tracking.

Phones are fun, I don't want to use so much of my energy thinking about shortcomings of the phones I own lol. The irony in all this is that Tapatalk notifications are weak on the iPhone (not there at all on mTalk, aside from private messages), and excellent on Android. :/
    Sorry about the mixup - I get all flustered when I'm around power brokers and I make stupid mistakes like that - really!

Well you have a gen-U-INE quandary there, Libra. There HAS to be a solution. You're right - phones ARE fun and sometimes they become absolutely loved because a model will suit you so well. I've had 2 in the whole history of smartphones - my Palm TREO, then I thought this can never happen again until I got my Lumia ICON, April 2014. At 68, I don't think it'll happen again lol.

Hey, I don't carry 2 phones around - just from the house to the truck and then from the truck to the house. Most guys I know carry a back pack (on one shoulder) just stuffed with 10 year old chargers and micro-usb cables, thumb drives they don't even remember they have, 3 headsets, PNP dvd drive,and god knows what-all. All I have is a messenger bag with an I pad, S7E, ICON and that's it. Appropriate car chargers all live in the car. That's not a lot. I only carry one phone when I go in a store.

I hope you can figure out something for that band - I KNOW a 950XL lol. I love the "Current Insider Release Forums". I'm addicted to them and can't believe all the 950-950XL problems - just unbelievable. Me and my old ICON keep chugging right along.

Peace. Alan
    10-27-2016 02:08 PM

It's fascinating to watch, esp. if you don't get too hung up on platforms and take it personally.
    Personally, PERSONALLY ??? I'm so upset I could squish a grape !!!

Peace. Alan
    10-27-2016 02:21 PM
    October 26, 2016
    Wednesday

After five long years with Windows Phone it is with a heavy heart that I switch to an Apple iPhone.

During those years I have stood beside my Windows Phones, even though they weren't perfect, it was memorable. The day I graduated and started adulthood is a lifetime Trophy I'll always remember. The best friend whom I've lost will forever and always be a Titan by my side. I still remember Sea Rays gracefully swimming in aquariums, and the day cupid shot an Arrow through my heart. We laughed at jokes and baked lots of Phi. Sometimes life can feel like a Catwalk, and a glass full of Martini usually helps. And yet here I am now, an adult, living in a city wearing suits and ties, working. A Cityman.

Today marks the last for this chapter, but not the end of the story.

Until next time.
    DUDE!!! Nix the suit - BE A WRITER!!!

Peace. Alan
    10-27-2016 02:42 PM
    This is what really P!$$#$ me off but its trueTHE MICROSOFT APPS REALLY ARE BETTER ON ANDROID (Except Cortana, but its not her fault).
    I couldn't agree more. If Cortana could be better integrated into Android to the point where it would give me the same kind or reminders and suggestions it does on my Windows 10 computer or on a Windows Phone I could live with Android quite nicely. Google Now or whatever is going to replace it gives me the worst suggestions (well they aren't bad suggestions they just are ill timed or impossible to follow).
    Shamshi-Adad likes this.
    10-28-2016 07:53 AM
    Chromebooks will eventually be as functional as PCs and they have the apps.
    Codeweavers recently released an Android app that is an emulator to run x86 programs on a Chromebook. The Chromebook must be capable of running Android apps, which most of them sold today are. It still is no replacement for all PCs, but it would satisfy the needs of a lot of consumers. In fact, most of the customers of our PC sales and repair department at work use little more than the browser on their PCs.
    10-28-2016 08:44 AM
    For the past week I've been straddling the fence between Android and Windows 10 mobile. I bought a Moto G4 and removed the SIM card from my 950. I've been carrying both and thought everything was great with my transition to Android until my drive home yesterday from work.

The issue is that my wife sent me a text message while I was driving. On my 950 Cortana would read it to me and ask if I want to respond. I'd say yes and she would note what I said, repeat it, and send it upon my request. With Android it reads the message but that's it! Now I can ask Google to then send a text to someone but it doesn't necessarily reply. And when it does that it doesn't read it back to me to make sure it captured it correctly.

I did some research online and found that some apps are supposed to handle this. I downloaded "ReadItToMe" and it missed some of my texts coming in and just didn't feel as integrated as Cortana did on W10M.

So am I missing something or is this an example of something Windows does handle with superior ease? Everything else in my transition has been fine but this one really bugs me.
    Joe920 and HeyCori like this.
    10-28-2016 10:03 AM
5,481 ... 132133134135136 ...