Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nmercy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Went from an 8x to a 735 recently so figure I have a year or two before having to make the decision of staying or going. I would like to stay as the OS does pretty much everything I need and I like the way it works (and some thing even better when I had an 8.0 phone), but MS just doesn't seem to want me to stay.
After my 8x, which I would have had to replace anyways because they're not releasing W10m for it, even though it's about as good as the 735, I would be hard pressed to go third party again... at least MS is trying to release W10m for as many W8/8.1 phones as possible.
Unfortunately it's looking like there isn't going to be an MS phone for me to go to on Verizon. If that holds true when it comes time to replace the 735, I'll be looking at an iOS or Android phone. I guess the good thing is that by then the other os' might have live tiles and any MS software I want to take with me will be available as well.

Nubwy

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
Giving up on WP10

Finally gave in to despair. I've been dealing with random reboots, crashes, and app freezes over the last few months. Having to charge the phone multiple times per day, usually twice. I traded my 950 in for an iPhone 6s today. After moderate use today I'm just now slightly below 50%. I'd be at around 30 or less on my 950. I like the screen and hardware but I'm not going to keep paying to beta test the os anymore.

glossallalia

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Re: Giving up on WP10

Finally gave in to despair. I've been dealing with random reboots, crashes, and app freezes over the last few months. Having to charge the phone multiple times per day, usually twice. I traded my 950 in for an iPhone 6s today. After moderate use today I'm just now slightly below 50%. I'd be at around 30 or less on my 950. I like the screen and hardware but I'm not going to keep paying to beta test the os anymore.

We jumped over to the iPhone 6 a couple weeks ago after experiencing the same issues. I like what MS is attempting with features that IOS lacks but it is just too problematic. The last straw for me was the ongoing hotspot issues.

groady-ho baluzy

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
The 6p arrived a few days ago.first android and its a bit confusing. Some apps can be deleted others disabled. Some widgets are ugly as heck and don't update very well, good thing there's many to choose from. Settings are a bit messy, all over the place really.

what's the purpose of having 3 home screens? Also, square icons are ugly, it looks kinda outdated really. But the phone is fast, smooth, gorgeous display and the stereo speakers are pretty nice to have, it enhances videos and games for sure. Overall I have not decided whether to keep it or send back. I do see what people mean by app gap though. Banking is much easier and so is using social media. Google play is huge but looks like alot of duplicate apps. Google was big help setting it up. A tech took me through the process. That said, as of now I still like WP better, so far.

Last edited:

mrpuny

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
The 6p arrived a few days ago.first android and its a bit confusing. Some apps can be deleted others disabled. Some widgets are ugly as heck and don't update very well, good thing there's many to choose from. Settings are a bit messy, all over the place really.

what's the purpose of having 3 home screens? Also, square icons are ugly, it looks kinda outdated really. But the phone is fast, smooth, gorgeous display and the stereo speakers are pretty nice to have, it enhances videos and games for sure. Overall I have not decided whether to keep it or send back. I do see what people mean by app gap though. Banking is much easier and so is using social media. Google play is huge but looks like alot of duplicate apps. Google was big help setting it up. A tech took me through the process. That said, as of now I still like WP better, so far.

I can empathize with a lot of this. While you've gone premium with the 6p, I went low end (Blu Vivo XL) but it's been an overall great experience so far. The Mediatek processor in the Blu isn't supposed to be all that great, but I've found it to be be "fast and fluid" - no "lagdroid" here. But it's definitely different from Windows Phone and Win10 Mobile, and there are things about it that just rub me the wrong way. And really for the most part it comes down to the fact that it is different, and I would find myself getting frustrated about where a particular system setting was, or trying to get my screen laid out the way I wanted it, or figuring out some particular quirk in an app. Not that it's bad; it's just not what I'm used to. The funny thing is that the Blu Vivo XL has a kind of a funny interface as far as Android devices go. So while your Nexus 6p has stock Android, mine has a skinned interface that is a lot like iOS. (It's basically like iOS with widgets.) To me it's perfectly fine - I hadn't used an android device in a while while I do have an iPad that I use off and on, so I just accept it as is. It's fine for me. (I did try a couple of alternative launchers like the Nova launcher and Microsoft's Arrow launcher, but I wasn't particularly thrilled with them either, so I reverted back to the original launcher.)

I originally intended to force myself to stick with the Blu phone as my primary for at least two weeks. I figured that would be the minimum time I needed to start getting comfortable with a different system. Really, I wanted to target a month. But I guess I'm weak-willed, and after a week and a half, I swapped my sim back to my 640. (It probably also helps that while I appreciate having access to a much larger app ecosystem, I don't really need it personally.) A large part of that was a comfort-zone thing, but there are just things about the aesthetics of Windows Phone that I like. Android has some really cool, but kind of odd features that I have mixed feelings about. For example, the Microsoft OneNote app has this little "badge" thing that can sit on the side of the screen that lets me take a quick note. (The Facebook messenger app also has some kind of similar UI element that I've had pop up.) On the one hand, this is super cool and useful, but also seems "off" - like it's some sort of tacked on UI element that doesn't really fit in. In a way it sort of reminds me of the little virtual sticky-notes that you'd get on GUIs back in the day.

One of the things that I've discovered in all of this is a newfound appreciation for what non-Microsoft-centric reviewers must go through trying to deal with a Windows phone, or even Windows 10 desktop maybe. I mean if you're very used to the iOS or Android way of doing things, then Windows Phone has two strikes against it right from the start. Not only is it lacking in apps, but it's just -different-, and let's face it, for most of us, different is bad.

It also has given me a new appreciation for some of the things the Microsoft team is trying to do with Windows 10, like with the hamburger menus and other UI changes to try to make the UI more palatable to the rest of the world and what they're used to. And for that matter, a newfound appreciation for what an existing Windows Phone user goes through facing even the UI changes between WP8.X to W10M.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
@Mrpuny : That's a very interesting perspective, thanks for sharing it. I have had my 5x for two weeks now, and I like it so much. While I like it a lot, there are some things that annoy me about it, at least in comparison to WP (which makes me appreciate it on Windows Phone/Mobile). Someone can refute my points, if there's something I can do about this.

-Do Not Disturb mode, which is similar to quiet hours. It's weird to me that I have to specify for alarms to go off during that mode, or else they won't. With Cortana, she just does it.

-Battery life, need I say more? People have said that this device has great battery life, but I'm starting to think that the people who said that are people who primarily use Android. I feel like during the day, I find myself thinking about if I'll have enough juice to get through the day. With moderate to heavy usage, I sometimes find myself having to charge before the end of the day. With my 640, if I put it in the same scenario, I wouldn't be running for a charger as fast.

-Related to that, the fact that Doze (the battery saving sleep mode) doesn't work in the pocket, but it only works on flat surfaces is kind of a bummer. I have been seeking out flat surfaces at work so that my phone can go into Doze mode, but it's often broken because of what my job demands. I have been dealing with it, but not a big fan of that personally. (This is not an Android thing, apparently Sony phones have great battery life) With WP's mode, it has always just been in my pocket, saving battery life for me, thanks to glance.

-The fact that the phone vibrates when put on silent is one of the most annoying things ever. Picture the situation of having my phone flat on a surface because I'm trying to let it Doze and then bam, it just starts vibrating while I'm serving someone. For reference, I also work in a quiet environment so this has been super awkward the times it has happened. I'm not sure what to do here. Again, I appreciate that this can't happen with WP unless I want to.

-Ambient display reminds me of Glance, which is cool, but it is very random. Usually I find myself hitting the power button to see if I have any notifications since the display is so random. Sometimes it pops up and sometimes it doesn't. At least with Glance, I can always put a finger near the sensor and that would do it.

-Finally, this is petty, but the fact that I have to pay for a YouTube Red subscription to play music in the background of my phone is lame. I have used apps such as Hoopla, and MixRadio before it shut down to make up for it. Having to adjust to ads for YouTube videos has been interesting too. I don't think I need to explain this lol.

As for the apps comment, I think this varies on the person. I do use some apps that aren't on WP at all (Hoopla is one example), and some that are on WP, but are way better here, i.e. Overdrive (but on WM10, it works on edge like a dream)

All in all, that's been it. I have learned that no OS is perfect and I have to be the one to decide if I want to continue to deal with this, considering that I like so much about it, including the fact that it just works, or go back to WP and possibly sell this (I hate selling, lol).

Last edited:

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I'm about to leave the microsoft mobile platform. I've been a user of the OS since the days of Pocket PC 2003 and currently own a Lumia 920. The phone has various issues now and I need to upgrade. I tried out the 950 but too buggy. The 650 looked nice but checking out the specs its not good value for money. I never thought I would leave the platform but I need a decent phone with a workable OS and a decent app selection. I will be switching to a Wiley Fox Swift 4G dual sim for ?129. I hope this will be a temporary switch until a 'Surface' Windows phone arrives. I will continue to use Microsoft services and keep an eye on the development of W10 mobile. I hope I can return one day.

Tempest790

Oct 3, 2004
Visit site
Finally gave up

After many years with Windows phone from the Pocket PC era (I still have my iPAQ although it doesn't work anymore), I just pre-ordered a Samsung Galaxy S7. Specs look good except for the micro USB which is really pathetic on Samsung's part. I mostly use wireless charging now anyway, so it's not a deal breaker. I have 128gb SD cards so I'll just swap that right in when the phones arrive.

I don't really care for Android, but the app gap is pretty much insurmountable for Microsoft at this point. I see people boarding planes, paying for parking, and much more using their phones. I guess over time I'll get used to Android. I'm trading in my wife's and my Lumia 950's by paying up the AT&T Next and getting the upgrade.

I still have my Lumia 930 (international unlocked) as a backup. That was a great phone.

I guess I'll be visiting Android Central more now. :p

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: Finally gave up

Do what you must do! Also, the awesome of mobile nations really means that you just click log in and you're already set.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

I primarily use Android for mobile, although I have various W10/W10M and iOS devices around which I also use to a lesser extent. I'm not a huge Samsung fan, but a few months ago I bought an S6 Edge for my wife, strictly for one feature: Samsung Pay. IMHO that is currently the coolest feature on any smartphone! If you've been wishing for tap to pay, you will have the ultimate tap to pay with your S7. Use it virtually anywhere a credit card is accepted.

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site

I have been using windows phone and android together since years...thou windows is my primary device...currently i own Lumia 950 ds and lg G4 ...android phones i keep changing...have uses most samsung phones but after few months they all start lagging...best was htc one with best android...no lag smooth...now iam very happy with lg g4...i really liked the samsung edition of edge series...but as they removed sd card slot and removable battery i stayed away...now iam really confused about G5 or s7 edge...will wait and watch iam in no hurry...i have the best phones in hand now...will see public opinions and tech reviews of both the phones and then decide

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site

I don't really care for Android, but the app gap is pretty much insurmountable for Microsoft at this point. I see people boarding planes, paying for parking, and much more using their phones.

Sad but true. Anyway, is a good choice with S7. Lumia has already lost much of its perks. With the Always-On display on S7 and G5, Glance screen is no longer anything special about windows phone. Furthermore, their cameras can easily outshine 950 camera imho.

pinkbecca

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
Bye bye to my 950 XL...

I'm officially done with my 950 XL, I've decided to sell it today, I had it since December and I've been patiently waiting for my specific problem to be fixed, it's basically the horrible stuttering whilst screen mirroring and listening to the audio of the movie via Bluetooth headset, I've tried EVERY video player app from the store since December and none play smoothly, lots of lag and stutter, I can't believe my Note 4 plays smoothly whilst screen mirroring and Bluetooth at the same time, and the shocking part is the 950 XL is supposedly better in specs!!, so I wonder why the hell it can't handle this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism