Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi, folks! There are a lot of people who have decided to get new devices, since so many choices are available. We have long time Windows Mobile users who might be opting for a new Windows Phone 8, and folks who have decided to upgrade from Windows Phone 7/7.5 to Windows Phone 8. There are also folks who have tried Windows Phone but decided to switch to another platform.

This thread is for you! Please let us know which device you had, which device you are switching to, and why you are switching.

Are you getting a new Windows Phone to replace an older Windows Mobile/Windows Phone?

Are you getting a device that runs a different platform because there is something that has not been resolved with Windows Phone?

Are you changing carriers to get the device you like?

Please keep in mind the forum rules while you post in this thread, as in any thread on this forum. http://forums.windowscentral.com/wpcentral-com-site-news-feedback-help/204020-rules.html

Have fun letting us know what new device you are getting and why.

Quin 2013

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I switched from my 2yr old HTC HD7 to a Nokia Lumia 920.

I'm extremely happy with the move so far. Though I have to warn you that if you do not have windows higher than vista or XP, your new wp8 will not work with the Zune PC app. And, you will ha e to transfer music, video and pic files by hand.

So far, I haven't found any other reason as to not have or be unhappy with my nl920.

jollydogg

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
An honest Lumia 920 review: Why I'm returning to an iPhone 5

Let me start off by saying that this may be a long read if you decide to read through the entirety of the post, so I apologize in advance. My typing process is much like my personality and thought process, which is sticken with ADD. Yay Adderall. I'm by no means an accredited or experienced reviewer of technological gadgets, but I would LIKE to consider myself somewhat technically proficient in mobile technology. I've used so many different cell phones it's ridiculous, the majority actually being on the Android platform. (Original G1 for Tmobile, OG Droid, Incredible, X, X2, GS3, HTC One X, One S, and so many others, it's really ridiculous). I would also like to disclaim that while the majority of my time in the mobile sphere has been with the use of the android OS, I am in no way a "******" of Android hardware. I am for whatever is good and for whatever works. There are many, many things I wish I could take from ALL platforms and integrate into one OS. How awesome would that be?

So down to the point of my article! I've been getting bored with the Android system, and frustrated with the fact that no matter what high-end Android device I've owned at the time, it still freezes, lags, and reboots occasionally. I know, I know.... I can install a custom ROM, or theme, or "deodexed" kernel to make it faster, but the point is that I shouldn't have too do this. So, I decide to try a subsidized iPhone 5 for ATT&T, because hey, I don't have four thousand dollars lying around to buy one off contract. The overall experience was pretty good, as I have tried out an iPhone 4 and 4s in the past. The phone is fast. The pictures are superb. Everything just. plain. works. However, having moved to a new area recently, Apple Maps is the key factor that drove me away from the phone. In a period of one week, it drove me to a wrong location FOUR times. And I'm talking about at least 10-15 minutes out of the way in traffic. Maddening. I can understand why people would stick with ios 5 or a 4s for this very reason to stay with Google Maps. The point is, the iPhone is a fantastic phone (albeit a bit boring), but I don't think anyone can argue with the fact that it's sleek, fast, fluid, and it just works when you want it too. Enter stage left temptation from the new Lumia 920........

I went to the store and played around a little with the 920, and man, I was intrigued. The first thing anyone can tell you about initial contact with this phone is "Holy $#%@ this thing is huge" and "Wow, this screen is boss". Well, here are some review points from an HONEST user, and yes, I will compare it directly to the iPhone 5 (you've been forewarned, I mean, it's in the title):

• Overall Build Quality: OK, seriously, enough with the too heavy thing. I've seen so many reviews that tout the great features, awesome screen and awesome camera capabilities that this phone offers, only to give an overall negative review simply because the reviewer skipped high school gym class and can't carry around the phone for more than a day. (I'm looking at you, BGR). Please. If anything, the added heft adds that oomph that I like on a mobile device. It doesn't feel flimsy, weak, or cheap at ALL.
    I'm a registered nurse, and this is also how I judge my stethoscopes. I don't like them to feel flimsy and cheap, like a toy out of a .25 cent machine. If I was attacked in my scrubs, could I use my steth to crack a skull? The answer is always yes. This phone could break facial bones with an accurate throw, no doubt. It just feels like a solid and upscale device. Granted, I wouldn't want to go running extended distances with this, but overall, I LOVE the weight of it.

• Screen Quality & Detail: Seriously, just wow. Like someone else said on another post: "The screen..... oh my God, the screen". Jim Carey would describe it as B-E-A-UUUUUTIFUL! Seriously, it's that good. No really. Even with my laptop right next to me, I had no desire to put down my phone and use it instead. I had no problems opening a website with the mobile browser and reading it on the large and spacious screen. I felt colors were accurately represented, and the text was nice, sharp, and clear with no pixilation seen. IE 10 provides a pretty darn good mobile browsing experience in my opinion. (More about that in the software section). Videos were outstanding on playback. Overall, I think this screen beats out the iPhone 5 screen with ease, so if that's a major draw, this is something to consider when purchasing a new phone. Keep in mind that it's nearly impossible to use this phone with one hand, unless you're related to Lebron James or the grandson of Refrigerator Perry.
    In all honesty, this is simply the best screen on any mobile device I've ever used. It simply destroys any other handset I've used in both low lighting and direct sunlight conditions. Low light setting for the display is still so easy to read, it's ridiculous. This is taking into consideration that I'm fairly young, and I already have -5.75 in both contact lens prescriptions......for those with bad vision like myself, you know exactly what I mean.

• Overall Operating System Experience: I've never used WP7, so I really have nothing to base this newest release on. WP8, to me, seems fairly solid. The OS is fluid, smooth, and much like iOS 5 and 6, it just plain works. I didn't experience any hiccups or freezing at all for the most part. The Live Tile feature is actually really cool. The more important question is this: How long will this be a "cool" feature before the consumer looks at it as being as boring as IOS? People complain about how stale iOS has become, but in all honesty, I can really see the Live Tile feature heading down that same path. Do I really want to sit at the home screen and wait for one of the tiles to flip to tell me what I need and/or want to know? And if I do, there is no denying that a LOT of the applications have issues with the tiles updating since wp8 is so new. I'm actually a minimalist. My android screens weren't cluttered. I only had three screens I ever swiped too. This posed a problem to me switching to WP8. It got annoying fairly quick scrolling down and down and down to look at the different apps. I didn't like a lot of what I installed with the smallest icon tiles, so I went with medium or large. The problem is that the space fills up quick once I found a program I wanted to use on the main screen.
    Also, applications lack their own "flair" per say. They lack originality. Everything has the same feel, and I don't know if its the limitations of the OS or what. For example, a lot of the applications have the same look, with the scrolling, and the large headlines at the top. It's all simplified in my opinion. Whereas in Apple or Android, applications had their own flair or originality. This is really just my opinion, but it's my honest one. Overall, I see WP8 more in line with Apple than with Android. It's more controlled and limited, but in return, you get a much more fluid and stable operating system to work with, which actually to the benefit of the majority of smartphone consumers in America.

• Features, Storage & Battery Life: This phone has a TON of features. NFC, latest Bluetooth, Dolby Digital Audio Equalization, the list goes on and on. I've had no problem pairing the Bluetooth with my Bluetooth unit in my car with my system. It's a breeze, and it sounds amazing. Much better than any Android phone I've owned, and also better than my current iPhone 5 that I reverted too (But not by MUCH). It definitely beats out other phones in this category. However, I never used the NFC, and some will claim for now that it's gimmicky. I can't help but agree with that. Sure, it may make SOME things more easy, but I don't own Bluetooth speakers or anything like that, so for MYSELF, NFC is fairly useless. It's nice to know it's there though.
    It's also fantastic that this phone comes with 32GB of space. Of course it's more like 27ish when you install everything, but hey, that's pretty generous. I never used tons of space anyway, so it's plenty for me. For those who want to take advantage of the beautiful screen and store movies, games, and shows, this might be a problem as there is no option to insert an SD card for additional memory. Something to think about.
    Battery life, at first, is abysmal. I found that even after turning NFC off, running the battery dead, turning the screen on low setting for display, and fully charging the phone, the battery life was still less than stellar. In fact, the battery consistently drained ~13-15% every night with the display off when not plugged in. To me, that's just a little ridiculous. The iPhone 5 barely budges overnight when not in use. Some claim awesome battery life, some claim piss poor. It makes me wonder what is the definition of "moderate to heavy usage" are for those who are claiming awesome battery life. I know that my "moderate to heavy usage" usually drains around 20-25% an hour, even after all of the battery tricks. In my opinion, the battery life is less than stellar overall. Again, YMMV.

• Applications & Navigation: Applications are....well..... some are there, some aren't. I'm not a big social medialite by any means, but I do get on Facebook daily and make a few posts here and there. Facebook integration for this phone is just downright terrible. The main Facebook application is like two tons of W-T-F....it's a bug ridden, ad riddled nightmare to navigate through. Seriously, it's that bad. Thanks Microsoft.....for all of the good points this phone has, there isn't even a passable Facebook application. That's honestly totally unacceptable. Oh, wait, that's no problem, I'll just go to IE 10 browser and do it froWAIT WHAT THE ****? IT'S JUST AS BAD. The mobile browser just simply doesn't work well with some sites. It makes some sites look simply archaic. Try browsing Facebook on the mobile browser for the Lumia 920.....it will make you want to jab a straightened paperclip underneath one of your thumbnails. I used to complain sometimes about the Safari browser......wow, never again. It's a joy to use compared to IE 10. Again, YMMV on some sites. Wpcentral's site loaded beautifully on IE 10 mobile.
    Also, what the **** Spotify? Where are you? I love Spotify, and the exclusion of Spotify really saddened me. Enter Xbox Music. I really was relieved because I thought I found a solution. I have an Xbox and a Windows 8 laptop, so I thought this would be a cool test of seemless integration across three different platforms (Take that, you Starbucks dwelling hipsters... writing papers for your philosophy and liberal arts classes on your MacBooks while talking to your parents on your iPhones). So anyway, I was really excited to try Xbox music. I LOVED the integration of current songs with the Live Tiles. It just looks so damn cool. However, the interface of the application is just so jumbled. I consider myself somewhat tech savvy, and I really had to do some "google research" on how to do things such as downloading playlists to my 920 to work offline. It was a confusing mess. Think of the old "Lipstick on a pig" phrase.....seriously, which is a huge disappoint. Spotify is so much more straight forward to use. I also ran into an issue that apparently has plagued a lot of users, where it kept saying I didn't have DRM rights to access this media on this device, or some garbage like that. In the end, I wasn't able to download ANY song to my device, which left me with only the option of streaming music. Lame. Subscription wasted. I tried restarting, clearing downloaded content, even resetting my phone. Nothing. No help from Microsoft either. Totally disappointed. Nokia music really wasn't that much better, either.
    Navigation? I was pumped about Nokia Drive+. How awesome is it that you could download maps and use them offline? However, on first use, I noticed that this application is missing very basic features. No text list of directions? No alternate routes? The problem is that I live right near a major toll road, and there are back roads around it. However, Nokia consistently wanted to place me on the toll road, which is unacceptable since I can't choose an alternative route......and this was considering that it EVEN WORKED. When I chose offline mode to try to use the map I downloaded, it consistently froze. It would load up my destination, and my starting point would be a mile away from where I actually was. 2D mode, 3D mode, it didn't matter. It just didn't plain work. You have some work to do, Nokia, if you want to make this a serious navigation application. Don't tell me this navigation app is as good as Google Maps, just don't. That's a bold faced lie. Google Maps DESTROYS Nokia Drive in every single way possible. This was a serious deal-breaker to me, along with the non-functioning Xbox Music error.

• Cell Phone Reception & Quality: Let's not forget that despite being a feature packed media power house, that it's also a cell phone[/I. For all intents and purposes, this phone has the best reception and audio quality of any phone I've used. Reception is strong in all areas, even in areas weaker with my android and iPhone 5. Earpiece is loud, and speaker volume rocks. It truly is a great cell phone in this regard.

Overall, the experience with the Lumia 920 wasn't a negative one. It's one of hope......that maybe ONE day by the time AT&T will provide unlock codes for it, it will be worth going back too. I really loved the "freshness" and "newness" concept of WP8, however, key features that I really WANTED in a cell phone just weren't there. Spotify keeps saying they are working on an app for WP8, but that doesn't satisfy me. Xbox Music is just a totally unacceptable experience for streaming on my phone as of now. Nokia Drive+ is a god awful experience in my opinion, since I don't want to stream online everytime that I want to plan a trip. Same with Xbox Music since this error won't let me download and play music in offline mode. It's a shame too.

It's a shame that for all of the awesome features and unique experiences that the Lumia 920 and WP8 has to offer, it can also be overshadowed by glaring bugs and poor performing applications. Like I said, I'm not a "******" of any one OS or platform, I just like what works. If Nokia could deliver a better GPS experience, and Microsoft could work to deliver a more solid experience with Xbox Music on WP8, I'd be sold. As of now, for MY needs, Google Maps and Spotify are just two crucial apps for me, and since the 920 doesn't offer any comparable applications as of now, it just simply doesn't work for me. Again, YMMV. Ironically, not even a few days after switching to the 920, Google Maps was released again for the iOS 6 platform. It is just as good as an experience on that platform as it is the Android devices. Nokia could stand to learn a thing or two from them.

I hope people who have been on the fence about a 920 found anything helpful from my experiences the past couple of weeks. The Lumia 920 is a fantastic device, however, it's just not for me. Hopefully by the time AT&T has unlock codes available, it WILL be the right phone for me. I'll still be lurking the forums, keeping my hopes up that WP8 becomes the OS that I know it can be.

GomzyRockz

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: An honest Lumia 920 review: Why I'm returning to an iPhone 5

well, you might be true on some. In the end, thats what 14 days return is for.

jollydogg

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the insightful and meaningful reply, unstoppaplekem. I really enjoyed the part where you made comments that might actually add insight and advice in the thread. Oh wait.... Like I said, I provided a review based on my experiences and needs, which might help some people who were in the same boat of needs for smart phones.

Gomzy....the point is that I didn't even need 14 days, it only took 3-4. There were glaring issues that in MY CASE, warranted it as unusable phone for MY needs. Again, YMMV. It's still a great phone, just not for me.,

Aggemam

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Wow, thats a long read. I'll just skip that. I've read other peoples opinions on various phones and operating systems, for quite a while now. I guess you like iPhone better. Good for you.

WP8 rules imho. Very happy user here. Buuut I'm getting a little tired of all the negativity here. *sigh*

jollydogg

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site

I even indicated it was most likely going to be a long read. You skip what I had to say, but then say I'm negative? I actually had a lot of good things to say about the 920. If you bothered reading my thoughts and opinions, you'd know that it's not that I think the iPhone is a better device, but overall, it just has what I need......RIGHT NOW. Hopefully Microsoft and other developers can fix that, because it has the potential to be something great.

I know there are others out there who are wondering what the experience might be like, so I just thought that hopefully my thoughts and opinions could help them make some decisions. No need for the "TLDR" crap when I indicated at the very top that it was going to be a long read.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

Ill just respond to what I have anything to say about.

Ive had ups and downs with the battery, but generally the battery is about en par with my SGS3, which is to say a heavy days use, or two if light use.

Applications & Navigation: Applications are....well..... some are there, some aren't. I'm not a big social medialite by any means, but I do get on Facebook daily and make a few posts here and there. Facebook integration for this phone is just downright terrible. The main Facebook application is like two tons of W-T-F....it's a bug ridden, ad riddled nightmare to navigate through. Seriously, it's that bad. Thanks Microsoft.....for all of the good points this phone has, there isn't even a passable Facebook application. That's honestly totally unacceptable.

I dont use the app much. I havent even installed it since my last reset. I use the integration a bit, though. Posting, replying, chatting, etcetera. Works totally fine.

No idea what the app is supposed to do that goes beyond that. I guess finding groups and... something. But I hear its a bad app, and I hope a good one comes along soon, to satisfy FB-people.

Oh, wait, that's no problem, I'll just go to IE 10 browser and do it froWAIT WHAT THE ****? IT'S JUST AS BAD. The mobile browser just simply doesn't work well with some sites. It makes some sites look simply archaic. Try browsing Facebook on the mobile browser for the Lumia 920.....it will make you want to jab a straightened paperclip underneath one of your thumbnails. I used to complain sometimes about the Safari browser......wow, never again. It's a joy to use compared to IE 10. Again, YMMV on some sites. Wpcentral's site loaded beautifully on IE 10 mobile.

Havent had any trouble at all, not with touch.facebook.com (which I dont use much) nor www.facebook.com (which I do use, since its not a 3.5" cellphone that needs to use a mobile version of a website).

You do use desktop versions, right? On your 4.5" screen device with LTE? Some prefer not to, I guess.

Also, what the **** Spotify? Where are you? I love Spotify, and the exclusion of Spotify really saddened me. Enter Xbox Music. I really was relieved because I thought I found a solution. I have an Xbox and a Windows 8 laptop, so I thought this would be a cool test of seemless integration across three different platforms (Take that, you Starbucks dwelling hipsters... writing papers for your philosophy and liberal arts classes on your MacBooks while talking to your parents on your iPhones). So anyway, I was really excited to try Xbox music. I LOVED the integration of current songs with the Live Tiles. It just looks so damn cool. However, the interface of the application is just so jumbled. I consider myself somewhat tech savvy, and I really had to do some "google research" on how to do things such as downloading playlists to my 920 to work offline. It was a confusing mess. Think of the old "Lipstick on a pig" phrase.....seriously, which is a huge disappoint. Spotify is so much more straight forward to use. I also ran into an issue that apparently has plagued a lot of users, where it kept saying I didn't have DRM rights to access this media on this device, or some garbage like that. In the end, I wasn't able to download ANY song to my device, which left me with only the option of streaming music. Lame. Subscription wasted. I tried restarting, clearing downloaded content, even resetting my phone. Nothing. No help from Microsoft either. Totally disappointed. Nokia music really wasn't that much better, either.

Thank god Spotify is coming then :) .

I guess Im oldschool. I just use MP3s and Nokia Mix Radio.

Okay, well, have fun with your iphone5.

Aggemam

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I just wish there were more people, who would voice their happy thoughts on our WP8 devices. I'm very happy with my L920 and I go to wpcentral, to read about positive WP8 stuff. There sure isn't much of that going around elsewhere. IPhone this and android that...

jollydogg

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site

The desktop version of IE 10 is terrible. Try it and see. You're right, plenty of people say it's bad for a reason.....because it's that bad. And Aggemam, again, I had plenty of good things to say about both the Lumia 920 and WP8.......if you had bothered to read my opinions and didn't toss out the typical "TLDR" response.

anon(730643)

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
RE: An honest Lumia 920 review: Why I'm returning to an iPhone 5

A well written post. I own a gnex myself but moved on to WP8 regardless. I would say MS is about a solid year out from offering a polished product. They essentially rebooted their app ecosystem recently..unfortunately Google is the only game in town when it comes to maps. Apple lucked out they still have it.
Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
RE: An honest Lumia 920 review: Why I'm returning to an iPhone 5

I'm sorry to hear that because being a wp7 and now 8 user, I have to say the iOS bored me out of my mind and there's just nothing new about it, plus, I never find it the best platform as a "phone". I find the metro UI much more insightful and convenient with live tiles. Not to mention more customization.
But good luck with iPhone5
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site

So, compared to the 6th generation hardware and ! 8th generation OS, with an app ecosystem that has 5 years to develop, you found the first release of WP8 on second gen Nokia hardware to be not as polished. But better than anything in the Android space? That about sum it up?

Yeah, I can see that. iOS is wonderful, and flawed by the app silos. Android is eventually going to get there, once the hardware is so powerful it can overcome the horrible choice of using JAVA as the virtual machine for apps.JAVA. Seriously, WTF. Linux core, awesome. Freeish licensing, awesome. Java. Oh, shoot me now.

MojoDoj0

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

You would have saved us and your self time with not writing all that and just returned to the iphone 5. Belive me, no one cares.... You are talking about a new OS. Android and iOS both have been working on their OS since 2007. In 5 years, even I can bring a good OS to the table. I had an iphone 4s and lost respect for Apple when they annouced the Iphone 5. They are selling the same phone over and over again. oh Im sorry.. the Ip5 has a 4" screen and is a little bit faster... Make the jump quietly please...

jollydogg

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
A well written post. I own a gnex myself but moved on to WP8 regardless. I would say MS is about a solid year out from offering a polished product. They essentially rebooted their app ecosystem recently..unfortunately Google is the only game in town when it comes to maps. Apple lucked out they still have it.
Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

Thanks. The thing that bothers me is Google saying "We will develop for WP8 once people start using it". I mean, people use iOS...see how long it took for the new Google Maps?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

I usually don't comment on "leaving WP and returning to device X" threads, as most are terrible. I thought yours was good. Thanks! I enjoyed the read.

A few comments:

• The situation with mobile IE10 is complicated. Although it is seems natural to blame mobile IE10, reality isn't that simple and clear-cut. If you are interested you may want to read this thread, which also mentions how to get around errors some mobile websites haven't bothered to fix, a.k.a. the "fake user agent trick".
  • Nokia Drive is still beta software. I'm expecting it will take Nokia another two months until they get a half decent version out. Coming to WP8 now means accepting the status of an early adopter. However, you are clearly a "it just has to work" type of person. That is a mismatch that can't be bridged. Either you were two months too early to the party, or Nokia/Microsoft too late.
  • Xbox music is definitely a weak spot. It was rushed. Did you try out Nokia Music (a.k.a. Mix Radio)?
I don't agree with your take on live tiles becoming as boring as a grid of icons. Live tiles aren't just about being new or different. The ability to have all the information you care about slapped right up on your start screen is extremely useful. This adds personality to a device, that a grid of icons can never achieve, no matter how crazy the background wallpaper is.

I'm glad you enjoyed your tour of WP8. As far as I can tell it is exactly the right device for you, but you aren't an early adopter type of person. That is the only issue.

Lawrence Crecy

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site

The desktop version of IE 10 is terrible. Try it and see. You're right, plenty of people say it's bad for a reason.....because it's that bad. And Aggemam, again, I had plenty of good things to say about both the Lumia 920 and WP8.......if you had bothered to read my opinions and didn't toss out the typical "TLDR" response.
Uh I don't know if you have a crappy computer or you just don't know how to use them but with my computer IE10 runs flawless for me and I actually use it on all of my computers. 98% of the people that say IE10 is crap either don't know how to use a computer and load a bunch of spyware programs to protect them, or just do it to join the hate.

jollydogg

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
You would have saved us and your self time with not writing all that and just returned to the iphone 5. Belive me, no one cares.... You are talking about a new OS. Android and iOS both have been working on their OS since 2007. In 5 years, even I can bring a good OS to the table. I had an iphone 4s and lost respect for Apple when they annouced the Iphone 5. They are selling the same phone over and over again. oh Im sorry.. the Ip5 has a 4" screen and is a little bit faster... Make the jump quietly please...

I know I had questions about the phone, which is why I googled and found this site which provided lots of information on the new WP8 platform. I just thought my observations on people who may have had questions like I did. What makes you so upset that I posted my thoughts and opinions? You are just rehashing the same argument about why the iPhone is getting stale and redundant. My post is giving a comparison of all three platforms based on the questions I initially had and that were answered through test driving the 920. Calm down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3