Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I agree. Even in developing/emerging markets why buy the dock, keyboard & monitor when you can just buy a low end laptop or desktop for the same price or less. Unless they somehow come up with a way to dock the phone completely inside a laptop clam shell that sells for $100 or less or comes with the phone. Or enable a way to connect to a TV without a dock. That would be innovative & worth it.

Exactly,

The only and I mean ONLY thing I could see continuum working for is enterprise where people travel between offices, You could have offices setup and just dock your phone. Other than that continuum is smoke and mirrors.

Varun Rajan

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
I moved from android on mid 2013 to a Lumia 720 then on December 2014 to a 925.2 and now I have an HTC one m8 for windows on the way.
I was a little thoughtful about getting a WP this time because of the w10 issues I experienced with the Lumia 925 but I decided to give it one last chance

Im not sure htv m8 is officially supported for windows 10 update. You should better check or revise your option.

Varun Rajan

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
Android sucks unless you have super high end hardware. A 640 xl may be slightly slower than a 1520 yet it doesn't feel horrible.

os wise I don't see a benefit over windows, and the only true reason is apps. I am not going to switch os I like just for trendy apps but some might.

If you do decide to switch,go iOS. Much better than lagdroid and hardware is supported for longer and universal support.

Of course I hope you also continue to give windows a shot :)

Well android experience surely varies with the device usage but i think nowadays its far better. And support for hardware. I used a lumia 920 and that update thingy is most applicable in the case of windows mobile. Say for eg: every 2 year android phone has still access to the same app store. Its ok to take side in the OS but please do it the right way.

Alierna

Mar 8, 2015
Visit site
Im really on the edge about getting android phone. How's Msft apps in android? :p I have been using Lumia 520 over 2 years, currently running W10M and Im really getting sick all these freezing bugs.... Why to wait W10M get better? Why not just get android instead? How I know if I get hit by truck tomorrow and then I will not get to use W10M when its ready, what Im saying is I want to live in a moment, not just wait for the future. So android is it... Maybe?

first of all,you have lowest end phone this platform could have and your phone doesn't even have win 10.
i did the same thing.when i saw buggy win 10 insider i went for z2 and after that one m8. but after 4 months i got back to windows 10. the os is perfect now. it has some bugs sometimes but i love it.under 300$ android phones are jockes. above it are great phones but has nothing to make you stay. you have tones of apps to install, but just 5 6 apps you actually use. and nobody even cares you have it. with lumia everyone wants to see what you have.

k12000lt

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I agree. Even in developing/emerging markets why buy the dock, keyboard & monitor when you can just buy a low end laptop or desktop for the same price or less. Unless they somehow come up with a way to dock the phone completely inside a laptop clam shell that sells for $100 or less or comes with the phone. Or enable a way to connect to a TV without a dock. That would be innovative & worth it.

Well said. Continum is just a hype. Practically it's totally useless. The way I see it, is just extended homescreen with keyboard and mouse attached to a phone, via dock. What I do not understand is, whats so special about it? Even my old n8 could do it without any fancy dock. It had miniHDMI to connect to a screen and bluetooth/OTG to connect a mouse/keyboard. What difference its gona make? Will it make it fast? Can I install desktop app? No. It will still be the same phone with same store apps, same function etc. I guess even android may be able to do it (cast screen for tv and OTG for mouse) without any dock. But hows its gona be like a PC? Can DVD/BD drive be attached to it? Can USB stick be attached to it? No. Then how it compares with a computer? Its just screen mirroring with ability to connect input device thats all. Correct me if I am wrong. I will be most happy.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well said. Continum is just a hype. Practically it's totally useless. The way I see it, is just extended homescreen with keyboard and mouse attached to a phone, via dock. What I do not understand is, whats so special about it? Even my old n8 could do it without any fancy dock. It had miniHDMI to connect to a screen and bluetooth/OTG to connect a mouse/keyboard. What difference its gona make? Will it make it fast? Can I install desktop app? No. It will still be the same phone with same store apps, same function etc. I guess even android may be able to do it (cast screen for tv and OTG for mouse) without any dock. But hows its gona be like a PC? Can DVD/BD drive be attached to it? Can USB stick be attached to it? No. Then how it compares with a computer? Its just screen mirroring with ability to connect input device thats all. Correct me if I am wrong. I will be most happy.

I know they are working on the universal app platform and just released the development app to convert win 32 apps into Win 10 store apps. Their goal is to have all apps be UWP and. Which can be targeted to run on any device running Win 10. Which will be cool when they have a phone that can dock with a TV or in a laptop clam she'll & the phone serves as the PC and the screen as the track pad that can run all the legacy win 32 apps and new store apps

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Phrozty

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Strongly considering leaving WP.

Background:
- I'm using WP10 on a Nokia 1520, and have been since the developer preview. I also have a Nokia 2520.
- This has been a growing urge now for about a year or so, and started before WP10 came out.
- I've been loyal to the brand for almost a decade now: Phrozt mobiles showcase on Mowned
- I work as a developer/partner on a MS product, and I have been programming .Net for over 10 years now (my entire professional career).
- I've practically been a salesperson for the windows platform all my life.
- I upgraded from win7 to win10 about half a year ago.
- I would literally have to learn a new OS, because I've never owned an Android phone (never going to apple).
- I'm 32 (if any time references come up).

This is going to be a long rant post, but there are several reasons for this. I'm a fiercely loyal person, and I like to stick with people/companies for a long time, once that loyalty is awarded. If you look at my phone history, you'll see that I made it all the way from the windows mobile days, and those were some trying times! Because of this, it takes a lot more than a few issues to send me packing, and I'm usually willing to work through those issues or simply do without. Hell, I even buy into company kool aid for the most part, and don't mind them leading me down the path of madness with a carrot on a stick. That being said, I feel like there are too many issues building up, and the carrot is looking less and less appealing. I'm writing this because the carrot honestly doesn't look worth it anymore, and I don't know if that's just me, or if I'm missing something that you all can fill me in on. Maybe some of my current issues w/the phone are my own fault and you guys can help me out. Ok, enough intro, onto the issues!

Phone Offerings:
1) For the first time in 8 years, I have not upgraded every 2 years. You'll notice from my mowned history, I upgrade phones every 2 years on contract. (200)7 + 8 = 15. We're now in (20)16. That's because there is nothing to upgrade to. I bought the flagship (1520) on its release day, which immediately eliminates any "budget" phones, and the new "flagships" are not appealing to me at all. There is no 6" option, and nothing about the 950 line excites me at all. This is, of course, at a time when Android continues to have a PLETHORA of options in all different types of configurations in my specified size.

2) The surface got pushed back (again). I'm dealing with multiple issues on a daily basis with my 1520, and the oasis that might bring some refreshment just got pushed back to another hill in the distance. Even then, I'm having a hard time fooling myself into believing they're going to have a 6" option, or even something competitive to what Android will have at that point.

3) ATT and I have had many issues over the years, but I've been shackled to them forever, because they were the only carrier to offer windows phones that I could get at great prices. I bought my Tilt2 cheap. I bought my Titan for 1 penny. I bought my 1520 and 2520 (plus keyboard) *on release day* BOTH for $226 including tax. I've been able to put some masterful deals together on AT&T, so despite being behind the times in billing offerings, and coverage, and all other issues I've had, I've been able to get the phone system I want at awesome prices for years. With nothing to really offer, and this silly monthly payment thing... perhaps I can finally move on from ATT as well.

The OS:As I stated in my background, I've pretty much been a salesman of WP since I started using it as windows mobile. You give me a point on Android, and I'll counter it w/a better point on WP! Well, all my talking points are up, and it's not because Android got better, it's because MS killed the advantages themselves. Et tu, Brute?

1) I literally deal with app freezes and the phone itself locking up/crashing multiple times on a daily basis. It has probably been months since I've gone a day w/out having to restart my phone. The stability of my awesome 1520 went completely out the window with WP10. This was one of the top points I could tout over Androids.

2) Interconnectivity is pretty much a wash now. One of the coolest things I could do on my Titan was load all of my social accounts in one spot and have all of them consolidated and accessible from pretty much any social app that accessed those accounts. One of the best ideas I've ever seen! Well, slowly, fewer apps started recognizing these accounts, and now w/win10, even the contacts list doesn't take all of them into account. This, along with issues like not being able to link/separate emails onto different tiles (I would have work email on one tile, then both my gmails one other tile) are a clear step back.

3) Still lack of apps, and losing essential apps. NO HERE DRIVE for WP10???!?@!??@!?@ Are you freaking kidding me!?!??!?? Look.. I'm not a multifilter instagram/periscope/every social app ever type of diva, nor do I play a lot of games, nor do I need 20 different review apps... but when I'm forced to go back 3-4 years in basic navigation technology.... what in the literal !@(*?? As part of my sales pitch, I was throwing around the, "yeah, who cares if they don't have all the apps.. they have the main ones, and that's all that matters. And the maps are WAY better!" Well.. now they don't. Of course, perhaps this is because MS dropped support of Silverlight (see my rant on MS as a company not having it's act together below).... which is probably one of the biggest red flags to me in terms of the phone OS's longevity. Yes, I realize there are still ways to develop for WP, but when the basis of that language's support is dropped... that's a HUGE red flag.

4) Exclusivity is gone. Again, one of my sales points was the exclusivity of some apps. We have so few, compared to other platforms, but there were some knockout punches there. The full suite of office apps for free is pretty nice, but that's about it, and most of those can be replicated in a browser. Xbox glass, not exclusive. One drive, not exclusive. Nokia drive, nonexistent! Is there anything even worth mentioning that is exclusive to WP anymore?

5) The Edge browser is a massive disappointment. Can't swipe to go back. Bug where sometimes links aren't clickable, less responsive... so many issues with it compared to IE. I've been having to go back to old browsing apps, simply because of WP10's NEW browsing app. That's a step backward.

6) WP10 itself seems like a step backward. More resources used, less stability (as mentioned earlier), apps take longer to load, some apps aren't even compatible anymore, wifi gives up and forces me to restart, so many more things force me to restart now.... and for what I use it for, it offers NO real advantages, other than a few display gimmicks that look neat... which you should probably turn off if you want your phone to run better.....

Company aspects:
1) I HATE HATE HATE what they did to Nokia. They bought an iconic company and promised to keep it's integrity. Now, a mere 2 years after the acquisition, less than 20% of Nokia staff retained their jobs, the Nokia brand is completely gone, and even the Nokia phone line (Lumia) has been glossed over with MS's brand (surface). Worst of all, MS blames all of their poor numbers on the purchase/Nokia itself. I've been supporting MS for a long time, but this is probably one of the most disgusting things I've seen the company do, and it involves this very topic.

2) Windows 10 itself seems to be going through a lot of the same woes that WP10 is as well. More restrictions, less stability, more hoops to jump through, and it truly seems as though their product lines are completely different companies that simply do not speak to each other - from the OS, to xbox, to development tools, to MS products for the OS... some of the things I've had to go through to get MS products working on an MS platform truly seem like the trials I had to go through to get warez multiplayer games working back when I was a kid. Heck, my Win10 upgrade didn't even recognize my phone the first time I plugged it in.... what the heck? Now, there's no way in hell I'm going to the apple platform, but I'm trying to illustrate that I feel Windows 10 overall is several steps backwards, much like WP10.

Yes, this was a long, ranty post, and part of it was definitely some much needed catharsicism. Another part is because I sincerely hope that I'm missing something and/or am uneducated on how to fix my woes, and that someone can help. I've been a fiercely defensive WP ****** for quite a long time now, tossing my hand up to any and all Androids because of the clear superiority of WP, but I honestly do not feel I can even remotely argue the case anymore. I am literally filled with sadness, looking at my favorite phone, knowing that it is now crap, and it wasn't even because the competition got better, it's because the company that created it crippled it, and offers no foreseeable path of redemption. In all likelihood, I'll probably hold out for another frickin year so I can be disappointed by what the new surface phones will have to offer, but on the other hand, I'm looking more and more at what is available on android...

PhineasTD

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site

Continuum is the reason I made my 950 xl purchase...and the reason that I took it back.I also saw mention of Autodesk software earlier in this thread. While CAD appears on W10m I had honestly expected it to work through Continuum; at the point of my phones return it did not. A second frustration I experienced was how poorly Autodesk software ran on W10m, especially compared to how it ran in iOS 8.x on my 5s.

When I used (and became frustrated with) Continuum, I employed a bluetooth mouse and keyboard tethered through my phone which freed up the USB ports on the dock. Now, if MS provides better software furnishings for the phone, drivers in W10m to start, an external storage device could be used through the dock in tandem with the phone. This is all pointless however. Unless you have the dock already installed with keyboard and mouse at that location or locations, how does this make anything any more convenient? It's redundant. A PC would serve better for this and a laptop even more so (which is what I went back to). If one would resort to toting about a keyboard, mouse, external storage, the dock, the cables, and go through setting it up each time prior to use....I'd tell them to go get the laptop.

So far in my personal WP experiences I've seen only a few things that would keep me on board, but knowing that the mobile platform isn't Microsofts focus this year and that they don't have a set plan for when it will be, I have left. There is most certainly potential! The ability to fine tune IPN settings, SIM setup, the UI is nice (minus the differences between MS menus like Cortana (settings in the hamburger menu, under notebook) and Edge (settings in the ... menu)), I could see myself coming back. But until they address the lack of standardization across the device in general and the lack of software support, I will be elsewhere.

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Re: So is anyone seriously considering another platform now....?

The biggest snoopster in the known universe is Google. I'm not worried about what MS gets out of knowing what apps I use.
MS is trying to out-Google the Google with data mining and targeted ads now. Windows 10 is a privacy nightmare and I want no part of it.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

MS is trying to out-Google the Google with data mining and targeted ads now. Windows 10 is a privacy nightmare and I want no part of it.

Any technical sources around that could back up such (mis)information?

sprtfan

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site

Just type "Windows 10 privacy" into your favorite search engine if you are truly interested in knowing for yourself.

Because everything you read on the internet is true.......
Pretty much every creditable source has debunked most of the privacy issues going around with Windows 10.

sprtfan

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site

I had some questions about the launcher you are using. I'm switching from 928 to Android and I'm having problems finding away to get my Calendar info to show up on the launch screen. I'm using outlook calendar and did find a widget for Sunrise but it is not showing any of the info either but does when you open the app.
I also noticed that several of the icons needed me to download and connect another app to it. The weather and live photos asked me to do this. To install the app, I needed to turn on allow apps to be installed from untrusted sources or something like that. Did you do this as well or is there away to find an app to use in the play store instead? I'm not sure about the security concerns with enabling this option. Thanks

sprtfan

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm starting to think that part of the problem is that I'm testing Android out on a Moto E (2015). I was able to get the Sunrise widget to work after a rebooting a few times but it will freeze often and has completely crashed a few times as well. I did figure out how to bind different apps to different tiles. When I connected the sunrise calendar to the main calendar tile though it just gets stuck on loading and never displays any of the info. I'll keep playing with stuff.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I had some questions about the launcher you are using. I'm switching from 928 to Android and I'm having problems finding away to get my Calendar info to show up on the launch screen. I'm using outlook calendar and did find a widget for Sunrise but it is not showing any of the info either but does when you open the app.
I also noticed that several of the icons needed me to download and connect another app to it. The weather and live photos asked me to do this. To install the app, I needed to turn on allow apps to be installed from untrusted sources or something like that. Did you do this as well or is there away to find an app to use in the play store instead? I'm not sure about the security concerns with enabling this option. Thanks
You don't use 3rd party widgets, use the widget made by app developer. In the case of the launcher I use access to all the widgets for all the apps I have installed are in the settings. MS makes widgets for Outlook mail & calendar. When you enable a widget it will prompt you what services it wants to use & you can agree or not to allow it.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

Just type "Windows 10 privacy" into your favorite search engine if you are truly interested in knowing for yourself.

I have. A year ago and almost every month since. I can't find anything that is still relevant today.

I've personally checked these exchanges for some companies who were worried about these sorts of things, and it basically boils down to Cortana and Bing. If you don't want personal data being exchanged between your OS installation and MS, then you can't use those two services, which shouldn't surprise anyone.

If you ignore online services and look only at the OS, there is no personally identifiable data being exhanged between the OS and MS at all. None. Admittedly there were some issues early on, although even then most of the outrage was BS (people being surprised by the fact that using OneDrive meant their documents would be uploaded to MS' servers, which is just plain stupidity or ignorance). The real issues (Windows reporting back more than it should) have since been fixed.

Most CTOs are far more worried about U.S. governmental overreach than they are about the OS providing MS with information it shouldn't.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon