Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
After being a diehard windows mobile/phone fan since 2009, I broke down and ordered an iPhone SE. There are very few options for people who want a high end and compact smartphone these days. MS is clearly not as focused on mobile this year, so the future for the platform seems nebulous. Still waiting for the day when there's a solid third option in the mobile space.
I think at this point there is nothing wrong in using a competing platform while taking a wait and see approach. If Windows Phone (or whatever it's going to be called now) does benefit from the new Microsoft way of thinking and apps start to finally come in, then you can always come back.

I have switched to Android for the time being while keeping my Lumia 640 on hand. I get to scratch my itch with the wondrous app and device bounty that Android provides while keeping one foot in the door of Windows Phone to see how things develop.

I am hoping Microsoft's new Universal App Paradigm surprises us but for low to mid range users such as myself, we'll also have to hope OEMs don't lose interest like they did before. The Surface Phone will be a non starter due to expected high price, especially if the app situation isn't any better.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
The app situation will only get better if MS lets islandwood free. That way its easy for dev's to port across their IOS apps. BUT, even then, There is the wearable issue, etc. MS has the OS locked down, and will not give these companies the required access to make their devices work on W10M. Which is a shame. W10m IS doomed if they do not fix all these issues.

Its all to familiar, Blackberry comes to mind, but MS never had the massive mobile market share BB did. MS is catering to business. NOT good in the mobile sector. You cut off 80% or more of actual users doing this....and really, that's what continuum is directed at....Business use, like I said, traveling around to different offices just have your phone and dock in the office. For me Continuum is an essentially useless gimmick.

Shane Richardson1

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
I see your point, I think it's kind of cool. It seems that Microsoft is banking on it and I'm not too certain it's that good. Continuum is okay at best. The app separation used to be the only issue, now the OS is so dangerously unstable that I must do a soft reset 5-10 times a day. Music that I purchase on my phone through Microsoft will tell me that I don't have the rights to play it on my phone. The phone will freeze and refuse to do anything. Wait, that's not all. The Icon probably won't even receive the official update.

For me, it begins to look a lot like a move to Android is best for my whole family and everyone that I advise. Why Microsoft, why hang yourself?

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Re: So is anyone seriously considering another platform now....?

False. Windows 10 doesn't do that at all. Zero. Nothing. Nada!!

Not even Cortana does that, and MS states so explicitly in their Cortana privacy FAQ:

"No, Cortana doesn?t use the information you share with Cortana to send you targeted ads."

Bing (just like almost any internet search engine) does collect data to target ads, but Bing is not Windows 10. You can easily use Windows 10 without using Bing, and a lot of people (probably most on this site) do.
Really?

Why, then, does it serve you ads?

Why are you assigned your own advertising ID?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3039...0-pushes-ads-at-you-and-how-to-stop-them.html

You also just admitted that Bing does mine data. Bing is the default search engine in Win10 and it's integrated with it. You must go out of your way to disable and opt-out of it if you don't want to use it.

If the default is that you are opted in, then Win10 is indeed a vehicle for Microsoft data-mining for targeted ads.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Continuum kind of reminds me of mobile physical keyboards. Twice I have bought a physical keyboard for a mobile device because it seemed like a good idea at the time. In the end I made do with the onscreen keyboard because I realized that I didn't actually do a lot of typing and carrying an extra device just wasn't worth the hassle.

Of course there are going to be many who do need an actual physical keyboard because they do a lot of typing but most people I see with tablets etc don't have one.

My point being that just like Continnum there will be users for whom it makes a lot of sense but for the majority they may try it only to realize they don't really make a lot of use and therefore doing what little they need directly on their device will be fine.

I am of course talking about regular consumers and not business users in this instance.

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Continuum kind of reminds me of mobile physical keyboards. Twice I have bought a physical keyboard for a mobile device because it seemed like a good idea at the time. In the end I made do with the onscreen keyboard because I realized that I didn't actually do a lot of typing and carrying an extra device just wasn't worth the hassle.

Of course there are going to be many who do need an actual physical keyboard because they do a lot of typing but most people I see with tablets etc don't have one.

My point being that just like Continnum there will be users for whom it makes a lot of sense but for the majority they may try it only to realize they don't really make a lot of use and therefore doing what little they need directly on their device will be fine.

I am of course talking about regular consumers and not business users in this instance.
Physical keyboards are important to me. That's why I find myself seriously looking at a BlackBerry PRIV. You can use the slide-out keyboard if and when you need it and it doesn't add any bulk or require a peripheral. And it also has an excellent virtual keyboard.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Physical keyboards are important to me. That's why I find myself seriously looking at a BlackBerry PRIV. You can use the slide-out keyboard if and when you need it and it doesn't add any bulk or require a peripheral. And it also has an excellent virtual keyboard.
I have to say that I did like having a physical keyboard on a device (ie loved the keyboard on Nokia E63) but I was referring to addon keyboards. ie what I was trying to say is there is always a trade off with devices as to the amount of extra hassle a user will put up with regards to extra peripherals etc. I think most users like to keep things simple wherever possible.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

Blackberry priv running launcher 8....hmmmmm sounds interesting.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I think at this point there is nothing wrong in using a competing platform while taking a wait and see approach. If Windows Phone (or whatever it's going to be called now) does benefit from the new Microsoft way of thinking and apps start to finally come in, then you can always come back.

I have switched to Android for the time being while keeping my Lumia 640 on hand. I get to scratch my itch with the wondrous app and device bounty that Android provides while keeping one foot in the door of Windows Phone to see how things develop.

I am hoping Microsoft's new Universal App Paradigm surprises us but for low to mid range users such as myself, we'll also have to hope OEMs don't lose interest like they did before. The Surface Phone will be a non starter due to expected high price, especially if the app situation isn't any better.

Thank you for speaking wisdom, it's much appreciated.

I wish that more people would understand this. If Microsoft provides enough promise in the future, I'll be glad to take the sim out of my SE and put it back in the 640.

FredW3

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Universal apps may be the savior for the platform, but they need to get the platform stable before that will even matter. I am a little concerned that apps meant to run on a PC might not have the horsepower they need on a phone anyway. Time will tell. It has been announced that this is not the year they concentrate on windows mobile, so the platform may die before this happens.

As for continum, they need to build a laptop type device for this to work. Sure, a mobile PC in your shirt pocket sounds good, but I don't want to have to lug a monitor and keyboard with me. I would need a more compact package.

wpguy

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
Music that I purchase on my phone through Microsoft will tell me that I don't have the rights to play it on my phone.

The fix for this is to...
1. Allocate about half a day of time.
2. Dig up all your email receipts for the music you no longer have access to.
3. Go to the Xbox support page and start a chat.
4. Note that if they ask you to delete the song/album and try to redownload it, not only will you no longer see any trace that you had the song/album, but neither will the support rep. This is why you need to do step 2.
5. The support rep will have to credit your Microsoft/Xbox account the cost of the music, so that you can rebuy it.

The whole Xbox account thing with music is one huge borked up mess. Totally unintuitive, and it seems you end up having to drive the entire process with the support reps, because either they don't understand it or because of limitations imposed by the system they use to help you.

Besides UWP, Microsoft desperately needs to implement "UAP (Universal Account Platform)," because the way identity management works with their assorted systems is a mess.

bburgarelli

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Jumped to Android yesterday, picked up a Lenovo Vibe A7010 (Note K4 for you folks outside Brazil).

First of all, I can proudly say that I did'nt leave Microsoft, but Microsoft abandonned support for Lumias down here. No new releases since the 640 and 640XL, and the current stock saw price raises in the last few months. That, combined with no plans to release the X50 range and the sudden death of my trusty L1320, I had no other option than looking for greener pastures elsewhere.

First of all, big shoutout to Lenovo. The phone is very well made for it's price range, and specially there is NO bloatware. The phone shipped with the Google Apps and a single Lenovo app. I could'nt verify it yet since I'm away from Android for the last 4 years, but I think it's using the stock Android launcher, or something that Lenovo skinned to be very, very similar in looks and functions. Running 5.1 right now.

Second, everything is a visual and conceptual mess. Anyone know a Launcher with a Microsoft Tile look alike theme?

About the phone, very pleased with it and well worth the price. About the software, I will need a few days at least to get used to Android again.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Jumped to Android yesterday, picked up a Lenovo Vibe A7010 (Note K4 for you folks outside Brazil).

First of all, I can proudly say that I did'nt leave Microsoft, but Microsoft abandonned support for Lumias down here. No new releases since the 640 and 640XL, and the current stock saw price raises in the last few months. That, combined with no plans to release the X50 range and the sudden death of my trusty L1320, I had no other option than looking for greener pastures elsewhere.

First of all, big shoutout to Lenovo. The phone is very well made for it's price range, and specially there is NO bloatware. The phone shipped with the Google Apps and a single Lenovo app. I could'nt verify it yet since I'm away from Android for the last 4 years, but I think it's using the stock Android launcher, or something that Lenovo skinned to be very, very similar in looks and functions. Running 5.1 right now.

Second, everything is a visual and conceptual mess. Anyone know a Launcher with a Microsoft Tile look alike theme?

About the phone, very pleased with it and well worth the price. About the software, I will need a few days at least to get used to Android again.
Just search for "windows launcher" in the play store. I installed "Launcher 8 WP style" which seems to work quite well but to be honest, the novelty wore off quickly and I am using the stock home screen. The widgets and icons work well enough for me.

Enlil242

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Former Windows Phone user / Advocate

Ok, so, since the HD7, I have had a windows phone device. I have also had an iphone of some sort over the same amount of time. Always used my work account to experiment, as being on TMobile, I could swap out the SIM and be on my way. So, since the HD7, I have also had a Lumia 925, and most recently, a 640. Let's just say the 925 was awesome, while the 640 is complete garbage.

So, my experience with the 640 and the non-comittment from companies to create and / or maintain the Windows Phone offerings made me think it was time to rethink the longevity of Windows Phone and not be a beta tester any longer. I have since "upgraded" to a 2 year old Sony Xperia 3 and have to say that the quality of the device is top notch. And their implementation on Android is great. Butter smooth and very useful features, including hardware camera button, IP68 certification, nice integration w/ Sony SmartWatch 3, intuitive lock screen notifications, and access to every app on the market! Unless there is a compelling feature added to Windows phone, and like hardware, I think I will likely not come back. I am even contemplating on dumping the surface pro 3 to keep my MacBook Pro... but that is another topic for another thread.

wgs84

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site

The interesting thing about using Microsoft services is that even if you do switch from Windows Phone to iOS or Android, you can still continue to take advantage and use those very same Microsoft services. This is why I have absolutely no issue with switching platforms, and it's also why I can't understand why people get so mad and upset at people who want to switch to Android or iOS. I have Android devices, but I don't even use the Google stuff on it. I have Outlook, OneDrive, OneNote, Bing, so much MS stuff installed on them that they are pretty much de facto Microsoft devices.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Former Windows Phone user / Advocate

Ok, so, since the HD7, I have had a windows phone device. I have also had an iphone of some sort over the same amount of time. Always used my work account to experiment, as being on TMobile, I could swap out the SIM and be on my way. So, since the HD7, I have also had a Lumia 925, and most recently, a 640. Let's just say the 925 was awesome, while the 640 is complete garbage.

So, my experience with the 640 and the non-comittment from companies to create and / or maintain the Windows Phone offerings made me think it was time to rethink the longevity of Windows Phone and not be a beta tester any longer. I have since "upgraded" to a 2 year old Sony Xperia 3 and have to say that the quality of the device is top notch. And their implementation on Android is great. Butter smooth and very useful features, including hardware camera button, IP68 certification, nice integration w/ Sony SmartWatch 3, intuitive lock screen notifications, and access to every app on the market! Unless there is a compelling feature added to Windows phone, and like hardware, I think I will likely not come back. I am even contemplating on dumping the surface pro 3 to keep my MacBook Pro... but that is another topic for another thread.

IMO, the xperia are top of the heap in the android world, waterproof, smooth, awesome design, camera button, great battery life, and did I mention the style of the device....sweet. I'm on the z5 dual.

anon(5348535)

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm still using Lumia 920 as my personal phone, and Lumia 830 as my work phone.

I left iPhone back in the days as I really didn't like iTunes integration. I didn't like iTunes in general, to start with. Beside that, I was a bit angry about iOS6 "upgrade" for my (then) iPhone 3Gs, which basically crippled my phone... just to hear Apple's PR boasting how they support their phones with updates much longer than competitors; thanks, Apple, but iOS6 for 3Gs wasn't an update, it was more like euthanasia.

I played with Galaxy S6 for a few days, not long ago - had opportunity to swap my work phone with S6, but decided to stay with Lumia. Just feels more... comfortable... and what I need for work, things like Exchange Active Sync, Skype for Business - work really fine.

Not that everything is perfect on WinPhone, far from that... luckily for me, I'm easy on apps and deficit in Windows Store doesn't hurt me much. Most of the time I use default apps - txt, email, maps, weather etc - and I'm finding them very likable.

However, it is a bit annoying that Cortana still doesn't work in most parts of the world, NZ included, and with no solid promise regarding availability. I run my phone on US region, but I have to switch to NZ when I want to purchase app (no issues with free apps) and as a result, I haven't really purchased any new app for ages - if I need something, I'll look for free alternative. Changing region, restarting phone, changing and restarting again after purchase, not cool.

I could drop Cortana save for quiet hours which are still exclusively available to Cortana. I cannot believe that MS did not move this to clock app, at least in W10, but they haven't. Or if they made Cortana alpha available for other regions - but they haven't either. Not cool at all. A bit sadistic, really.

Another fresh annoyance is BT quality... well, something related. I'm using my work 830 with Jabra Tour while driving. It was working quite solid under Win8.1, lot of external noise would - naturally - reduce speech recognition results, but closing car windows and turning radio off while talking to phone usually worked great. Updated 830 to Win10, and with same Jabra Tour, speech results are quite bad. Pressing button on Jabra and dictating message sometimes does not produce any result, sometimes returns only be-beep! sound which sounds like some sort of error, and even when it works, it is having much harder time to recognise my speech, comparing to Win8.1. Presuming that my pronunciation hasn't changed much in few days, it looks like that BT is a bit wobbly on Win10. Might be my Jabra, it is not latest and greatest model - but as I said, it was doing fine with Win8.1 on my 830.

So, as the things are... waiting to see what will Panay and his Surface team do for Windows phone later this year (hopefully), and keeping an eye on iPhone as well. At this stage I'd say 60:40 I will stay on Win phone, but this presuming that there will be solid update for Win10 Mobile together with Win10 Desktop, this winter (north hemisphere summer). If no improvements, no Cortana progress... might actually switch back to iPhone, iTunes be damned...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucasmorth