Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I want to like the phone I'm driving, an Alcatel One Touch Idol 3 (5.5)... And I almost do. I like the hardware very much. Strong SoC, nice screen, excellent sound, decent camera (although I haven't had time to push it toward any limits). Adoptable storage is a plus since I'm using a quality SD card and the Bus speed is very good.

But the software is letting me down.
  • android.hardware.camera2 was never properly implemented so I'm cut out from taking DNG captures
  • SensorCore was never properly implemented so I don't have a step counter
  • I don't seem to be getting Security updates (stuck on July 1, 2016 security patch level) and don't know if that is the OEM or the carrier intruding and it really shouldn't matter which it is, I need the peace of mind given the notoriously bad level of security (and no, I'm not talking about the leaks that come from sideloading unverified apps - read the tech news; I'm talking about how eminently hackable the system is by design philosophy)
  • The labyrinthian device navigation is ridiculous
  • Notifications require so much tweaking and you still only get almost what you want, not exactly what you want
  • The wild west rodeo of app behaviors make it difficult to have a smooth and consistent UX
  • The overbearing Google insistence that any app they have automatically makes any other service that does the same thing (often in better ways) a second class citizen that can't function as fully
  • The obsessive compulsory inclusion of Google's intrusiveness: I don't really even want a Google account, but I must have one and I am loath to include other accounts on the device and use them fully since I don't trust the segregation - anything I put on there will be examined, analyzed and packaged as market research (some will say you can control this in large measure, but the methods to do so are tedious and exhausting)
Sure there are Apps, Apps and more Apps. So what? I don't give a flying monkey turd for 99.9999999999% of the sesquimillion wastes of coding that float around in the soup bowl and keep you from finding the tasty bits. Having so many apps ceases to become a valid positive when any good ones are buried under so much unusable dross and you spend orders of magnitude more time than a task takes to find the tool to accomplish it.

I have a feeling I'll be back on my Lumia 650 in a matter of days. It's not that I don't know how to setup and alter the device, it's that in the long run the results are never what I want, only what I have to settle for.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I want to like the phone I'm driving, an Alcatel One Touch Idol 3 (5.5)... And I almost do. I like the hardware very much. Strong SoC, nice screen, excellent sound, decent camera (although I haven't had time to push it toward any limits). Adoptable storage is a plus since I'm using a quality SD card and the Bus speed is very good.

But the software is letting me down.
  • android.hardware.camera2 was never properly implemented so I'm cut out from taking DNG captures
  • SensorCore was never properly implemented so I don't have a step counter
  • I don't seem to be getting Security updates (stuck on July 1, 2016 security patch level) and don't know if that is the OEM or the carrier intruding and it really shouldn't matter which it is, I need the peace of mind given the notoriously bad level of security (and no, I'm not talking about the leaks that come from sideloading unverified apps - read the tech news; I'm talking about how eminently hackable the system is by design philosophy)
  • The labyrinthian device navigation is ridiculous
  • Notifications require so much tweaking and you still only get almost what you want, not exactly what you want
  • The wild west rodeo of app behaviors make it difficult to have a smooth and consistent UX
  • The overbearing Google insistence that any app they have automatically makes any other service that does the same thing (often in better ways) a second class citizen that can't function as fully
  • The obsessive compulsory inclusion of Google's intrusiveness: I don't really even want a Google account, but I must have one and I am loath to include other accounts on the device and use them fully since I don't trust the segregation - anything I put on there will be examined, analyzed and packaged as market research (some will say you can control this in large measure, but the methods to do so are tedious and exhausting)
Sure there are Apps, Apps and more Apps. So what? I don't give a flying monkey turd for 99.9999999999% of the sesquimillion wastes of coding that float around in the soup bowl and keep you from finding the tasty bits. Having so many apps ceases to become a valid positive when any good ones are buried under so much unusable dross and you spend orders of magnitude more time than a task takes to find the tool to accomplish it.

I have a feeling I'll be back on my Lumia 650 in a matter of days. It's not that I don't know how to setup and alter the device, it's that in the long run the results are never what I want, only what I have to settle for.

I bet you say that to all the girls. LOL Seriously, I've been Android visiting over the past few years. The glitter attracts my eye and then the Visine kicks in and you see whats just below the surface. Nope won't go there again for the foreseable future.

Have the 950xl and the iPhone 6s plus that I switch back and forth on. Just can't seem to let either one go. Oh well, I can always blame the indecision on being an old fart.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Wish there were at least one million new Windows fones for me to choose from :(

Seriously I do believe new and different levels of hardware might inject some consumer interest.
Wouldn't a lot of seniors (or folks who desire simplicity) have faith in the Microsoft name if companies like Tracfone/NET10 or Consumer Cellular pushed phones with Windows on there?
It's gotta be cheaper to shove Windows phones on to people who want a little tech, yet not too much.

Sorry my fingers just started hitting keys in random fashion while thinking (which is a rare event for me at my age)

FiJPM

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
Moving on?

Ok
I ordered OnePlus 3T android handset a hour ago. Kind of interested if it can deliver what the 950 has delivered to me.
Main reasons for potential switching of platform is Here navigation, Suunto spartan app and banking app. If those would be available on WP there would not bee a need to change. Luckily quite a few familiar WP apps also on Android.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Wish there were at least one million new Windows fones for me to choose from :(

Seriously I do believe new and different levels of hardware might inject some consumer interest.
Wouldn't a lot of seniors (or folks who desire simplicity) have faith in the Microsoft name if companies like Tracfone/NET10 or Consumer Cellular pushed phones with Windows on there?
It's gotta be cheaper to shove Windows phones on to people who want a little tech, yet not too much.

Sorry my fingers just started hitting keys in random fashion while thinking (which is a rare event for me at my age)
To be honest I am not sure Windows 10 mobile would be any simpler for for non technical. I would argue that Windows 10 Mobile is just as complicated to operate as Android now. I certainly don't find android as difficult to operate as often made out. That's not to say that I don't agree in having some low end Windows 10 mobile phones as I do think they were what were giviing Windows phone it's main foothold.

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
To be honest I am not sure Windows 10 mobile would be any simpler for for non technical. I would argue that Windows 10 Mobile is just as complicated to operate as Android now. I certainly don't find android as difficult to operate as often made out. That's not to say that I don't agree in having some low end Windows 10 mobile phones as I do think they were what were giviing Windows phone it's main foothold.

Fair point, but in my opinion, on Android, it really goes back to the phone. Some phones feel like they can do SO much that it is overwhelming. My first 'simple' Android experience was with the Nextbit Robin. I liked it but I can now say that I have had phones that have topped it. A phone really. I am really trying not to sing the Honor 8 again, but whoa it really is. There's a reason why that's the only phone I can fully stand behind for the most part.

My point is that it is phone dependent imo.

JeffDH

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Long time user here... Why should I stick with Windows Phone?

Hey guys,

I have been using Windows Phones ever since I bought my first smartphone, the Nokia Lumia 800. The Lumia 800 was the first smartphone carrying Windows Phone 7, and I loved it! No Android or iOS for me, WP was where it's at. I used that Lumia 800 from 2011 'til 2013, and replaced it by the Nokia Lumia 1020. Once again a fantastic device using Windows Phone 8 as the operating system.

Lumia 1020 users were being told that they would be getting the update to Windows 10 early on, but as it turned out, that would never happen. Apparently the hardware wasn't up to date enough, or something like that. A big letdown, but it is what it is. Eventually I had been using the Lumia 1020 for two years, and decided to manually update to Windows 10 using the Insider program. If it ruined my phone, I would buy a new one anyway.

I have been using that Lumia 1020 for three years now, and it's at the end of it's life cycle. Time to look for a new phone! Unfortunately, the way Microsoft has been going about it's phones and operating system are kind of frustrating me. I have been looking into the Lumia 950, but that phone just doesn't 'do it' for me. And it was released about a year ago! Now I read that the next flagship model by Microsoft (the Surface Phone, I guess) probably won't get a release until the end of 2017?!

What is going on?! Microsoft releases their flagship and will probably wait for two years (since) to release their next one? I have been using Windows Phones for five years now, and experienced the development and releases of the operating system and the phones first hand, but now I feel like I have no other choice than to leave Windows Phone behind... I want to buy a phone that I can use for two to three years, and am not interested in getting a Lumia 950. What do I do now? Look for other manufacturers? That's not something that I'm interested in, I'd like to stay loyal to the Nokia/Microsoft brand...

I'm sorry for the rant. I'm just so frustrated... I loved my Windows Phones to death for years, but feel like I've been put into a position where I'm forced to leave it behind. And that's not because I'm frustrated by Windows 10, it's because I feel like Microsoft just doesn't really care about their phone division. I've been looking into getting an iPhone, and after all these years with WP, that's kind of breaking my heart.

So, I guess I'm wondering why I should stick with Windows Phone for any longer. I'm falling out of love with the OS and Microsoft. Does anyone feel the same? Can anyone tell me why I should hold my head up high and stay loyal? I'm out of reasons to...

Sorry for the long post! Thank you in advance for your help or insights, I appreciate it!

Jeff

tl;dr Been using WP ever since 2011, need a new phone now, and feel like Microsoft's releases/actions leave me no other choice than to look elsewhere. Breaking my heart!

earthman007

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site
Re: Long time user here... Why should I stick with Windows Phone?

There have been a lot of loyal, long term windows mobile customers who've got somewhat frustrated and unsure about whether their loyalty is justified - and what to do, as their next smartphone purchase arises.

MS has opened the platform up to OEMs latterly, with a small number such as HP, who have introduced hardware running 10. There's no reason to remain as a MS hardware user, when there are alternatives - and it seems like it's going to be some wait for any MS new handset to appear: I'm not even certain that we will get something along the traditional smartphone design either, as they've stated their intention to create new market niches and capitalise upon them, such as they did with their surface products.

I've purchased handsets this year, so am intending to be around for a couple of years using them, or open to whatever may come along, towards the end of that period.

Your needs are unique to you though and part of that is about taste and what you're comfortable with - such as finding the 950's not doing it for you. The platform itself should continue with support, so it somewhat depends upon whether you're accepting of the current batch of handsets.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site

So, I guess I'm wondering why I should stick with Windows Phone for any longer. I'm falling out of love with the OS and Microsoft. Does anyone feel the same? Can anyone tell me why I should hold my head up high and stay loyal? I'm out of reasons to...

Does Windows Phone in it's present state meet your needs, are you willing to take the gamble that it will say 6-12 months from now? Being that you are a long time user you must have some insight into how the platform has evolved and either you're content with that or not, if the cons vs pros (or vice versa) outweigh the other then you have a pretty good answer as to whether it'll meet your needs or not.

There are several aspects of the platform that I enjoy yet the cons definitely take precedence for me. I'm keeping things low-keyed in that we've chosen not to invest a lot (650 purchase), that way if things fall further we'll be closer to the ground which shouldn't hurt quite as bad LOL. Can say for my use it works but just barely, there's too many round-a-bouts that need to be taken in order to get the job done, for that reason we're more on the side of "play" rather than serious business. My latest fiasco with our 650 being defective has put the final nail in the coffin souring any positives we held onto about the platform, can only be thankful we hadn't jump at the 950/XL deals although we are really curious to give one a go.

Basically there is nothing I can see that allows me to give it a recommendation nor is there a reason IMO to stay loyal, can always come back if the future becomes brighter. And yes, I feel similarly to you if not more so after my latest dealings.

JeffDH

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site

There have been a lot of loyal, long term windows mobile customers who've got somewhat frustrated and unsure about whether their loyalty is justified - and what to do, as their next smartphone purchase arises.

MS has opened the platform up to OEMs latterly, with a small number such as HP, who have introduced hardware running 10. There's no reason to remain as a MS hardware user, when there are alternatives - and it seems like it's going to be some wait for any MS new handset to appear: I'm not even certain that we will get something along the traditional smartphone design either, as they've stated their intention to create new market niches and capitalise upon them, such as they did with their surface products.

I've purchased handsets this year, so am intending to be around for a couple of years using them, or open to whatever may come along, towards the end of that period.

Your needs are unique to you though and part of that is about taste and what you're comfortable with - such as finding the 950's not doing it for you. The platform itself should continue with support, so it somewhat depends upon whether you're accepting of the current batch of handsets.

'Good' to hear that I've not been the only one with these concerns... I've been looking into the other manufacturers that released phones with Windows 10 on it, such as the Alcatel Idol 4S, but my preference lies with the Microsoft-hardware. There's something about the full-experience-idea that comes with a phone that's released by the same manufacturer on both the software and hardware side, such as Microsoft with WP, Google with Android (Google Pixel) and Apple and iOS (iPhones... duh :grin:). Feels more trustworthy!

Does Windows Phone in it's present state meet your needs, are you willing to take the gamble that it will say 6-12 months from now? Being that you are a long time user you must have some insight into how the platform has evolved and either you're content with that or not, if the cons vs pros (or vice versa) outweigh the other then you have a pretty good answer as to whether it'll meet your needs or not.

There are several aspects of the platform that I enjoy yet the cons definitely take precedence for me. I'm keeping things low-keyed in that we've chosen not to invest a lot (650 purchase), that way if things fall further we'll be closer to the ground which shouldn't hurt quite as bad LOL. Can say for my use it works but just barely, there's too many round-a-bouts that need to be taken in order to get the job done, for that reason we're more on the side of "play" rather than serious business. My latest fiasco with our 650 being defective has put the final nail in the coffin souring any positives we held onto about the platform, can only be thankful we hadn't jump at the 950/XL deals although we are really curious to give one a go.

Basically there is nothing I can see that allows me to give it a recommendation nor is there a reason IMO to stay loyal, can always come back if the future becomes brighter. And yes, I feel similarly to you if not more so after my latest dealings.
I've been happy for a lot of years, since there has always been something good happening on the developmental side. WP7 was a good start, a new refreshing OS. Then came WP8, which was a very satisfying upgrade from WP7. Not much later WP8.1 happened, and kept me happy as well. And although W10 brought something fresh to the table, I can't say that I'm still happy with it one year later. It feels like there's not much happening anymore, and I don't see the future as bright if I think about satisfying my needs any more.

I agree very much with your last statement. I hope Windows 10 develops rapidly and becomes successful since I've been such a loyal customer for so long. But right now, it might be better to move away from it and try something new. I can only hope to return to the OS in two to three years from now, since I wish it nothing but the best!

Thank you for your replies, guys!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
It seems hardware isn't as much to blame as the OS itself. Good kit stands on its own whether it's running Windows or whatever. The Idol 4S is identical to the DTEK60 save for the display resolution yet the BlackBerry sports a significant advantage on the imaging front. The 950 series is definitely not the kind of design that makes people take notice but the innards are there. So why the lackadaisical attitude towards it? Windows Mobile 10. I love my Idol's design and execution but there are some issues with the software that make me want to throw it through a wall sometimes. My short (maybe) hiatus starts this week. We'll see if absence truly makes the heart grow fonder.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Just could not continue on with the farce. My SIM is back in my 650 and now I have a "fits any phone" VR Headset to use the Idol 3 in. I've pretty much stripped out a lot of apps and all my accounts/contacts/calendar... Now it's just a tablet for all intents and purposes.

IMHO, that's what Android is for, consumption. It does little for me in terms of organizing my life the way I need it organized.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Just could not continue on with the farce. My SIM is back in my 650 and now I have a "fits any phone" VR Headset to use the Idol 3 in. I've pretty much stripped out a lot of apps and all my accounts/contacts/calendar... Now it's just a tablet for all intents and purposes.

IMHO, that's what Android is for, consumption. It does little for me in terms of organizing my life the way I need it organized.
Wow, at least you tried it! How are you dealing with the battery life thing though? Or is it not as much of an issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb