Photosynth looks better on iPhone?

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I did a quick comparison using Photosynth on my L920 and my old iPhone 4. I captured the same 360 degree panorama and it looked better on the iPhone. The stitching was cleaner and the image detail was better.

I'm bummed, and surprised. In just about every other camera situation I've tried, the Lumia has easily bested my iPhone 4. Maybe the algorithms are a little different, or they're compressing the images differently. It would be nice to have some controls over that stuff.

Anyone else out there that can do a similar test? My next step may be to see if I can view them both using the desktop client, or recreate them on the desktop from original images.

If the quality of this app doesn't improve I'll start thinking of it more as a novelty and less as a creative tool.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I just looked at them side by side on the desktop client and I think the difference is much smaller. The differences were more apparent when comparing the results with phones in hand.
I think the difference is actually the phones or the apps. I went back and opened the iPhone pano on both devices, then opened the Lumia pano on both phones, and I swear each pano looked a smidge better on the iPhone 4 (it was also a tiny bit faster to load and smoother at first). Arggg.... Pattern detail on that ugly couch was a little crisper; the cabinets looked a tiny bit better. This is driving me a little crazy. I'm convinced that the iOS app is somehow doing things a little differently.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon